Welcome To aBlackWeb

Monique Wants U To Boycott Netflix

Yes she shoulda took the money.

If she couldnt negotiate for any more she shoulda took what she could get.

Netflix is giving everyone a special right now and she shoulda cashed in

Nobody else about to pay for 1.

She should of took the low ball offer, used the Netflix special as promo, and used the notoriety to embark on a nationwide tour to bigger venues than she was previously used to playing and cake up on the gate and merch money.

Man, she could have even used what happened to inspire 10 minutes of material where she could of shit on Netflix and bring up the whole gender inequality issue and so on. Flip it on them...

Du y'all going off like Monique is broke or something, her last project 2 years ago got her critically acclaimed across the board. She still has an Oscar fam. Halle Berry told Oprah she isn't taking less than 7 mil she don't give a fuck if you don't think she's the baddest bitch anymore.

Let me rephrase the question... If you have a bachelor's degree and master's degree in law and you've conquered your field to where you can go into other new ones like movies, television, radio, books, real estate etc. And you were paid 150k as a lawyer and you decide after say 5 years of being an entrepreneur you want to go back to law and a firm says they will instead pay you 65k because you've been out of the industry for 5 years (maybe you were on a leave, maybe you wanted to check a new field, etc) would you take the 65k or tell them to kick rocks ??? Would that even be fair ?

She approached Netflix. They didn't recruit her. Maybe she is broke.

YES!!!!

If im in her shoes and am currently touring comedy clubs across the country makin small Funnybone money each weekend and Netflix offers me to do 1 nights work for 500k im takin that shit

If you'll take 500k why should I pay you more on the next special ?? This is how rappers end up in shitty deals they become slave to and get shelved.

What bargaining power does Monique have? Who in the streets is fiending for a Monique comedy special in 2018?

However, if she kills it with this special, she has ALL the power in the re-up. You have to think long term...

Your "rap analogy" is a bad one. Most rappers take a big payday up front to buy chains and cars and shit and trade away their publishing and future considerations. Re-read what I said... the money isn't in the Netflix special, it is in re-energizing Monique's career in 2018.

But she could get a movie role and revitalize her career too so she obviously does have options.

She approached them because they seem to be throwing a lot of money at a lot of people.

So is it good business to approach someone and then turn around and say "fuck them!" when they don't offer what you think you are worth?

What is going to happen now if in the future Monique wants to do a deal with Netflix on a future movie project?

Again, maybe someone with a bit of buzz like Dave Chappelle or Jerry Seinfeld could play "hardball" for more cash.

And maybe Netflix tested the waters and found out Monique is only worth a half a mil gamble...

Y'all act like she is the only female out here....

"Most decorated comedian"

????

She has a history with HBO, but they are on some new shit...

My thing guys is I agree with her and I wouldn't do it. Another way to look at it, you work your job for 8 years and make 160k a year as a manager, have all this experience and education take a leave for 2 years for whatever reason come back and now a new employer wants to offer you 60k instead to do the same job.

Sorry guys just couldn't do it, either we negotiate for 160k or I'd go elsewhere.

We're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

But that happens all the time in sports.

Do guys with huge contracts early in their careers always make the same later in their careers?

They often take pay cuts to win a championship, return to a favourite city, or play a couple extra years past their due date.

Monique is hardly in the "prime" of her comedic career...

But now we have to "boycott Netflix"?

The same Netflix that just put $50 million into Dave Chappelle's pocket and another $50 million in Chris Rock's pocket?

Did I not just watch them take a chance on a new Katt Williams special (with all his previous "issues")?

Netflix doesn't care about black, white, male, female, etc. They care about recouping their money...

i've seen sion cape for A LOT of females in various industries

NEVER thought i would see him cape for monique

just WOW

People in showbiz are crazy. It's like they live in another world. Think about it. How often does shit like this happen to normal people? It's pretty much an everyday thing that normal people apply for jobs and get lowballed on offers. When that happens to us, we just either say "Fuck You" and keep looking or if we're in bad shape, we suck up our pride and take the job. None of us try to start some crusade to take the company down because we didn't get the offer we felt we deserved.

How come it has to be relegated to me "caping" ?

All I did was ask a question....

Which only 1 person answered. I have the answer to my question tho. I'm a contrarian at heart and I will always look at both sides objectively. I just don't agree with you guys on this. I think Monique is right to feel how she feels and I agree with it.

I answered your question twice

Multiple people answered the question...

Yes..take the money now for a bigger gain later for an act/person who is not in demand

But she could get a movie role and revitalize her career too so she obviously does have options.

She approached them because they seem to be throwing a lot of money at a lot of people.
According to her she black balled from Hollywood.. for the same shit she doing now. Going in on Niggaz for not giving her what she feel she deserve..

She a diva bruh

Whoa Katt Williams got a Netflix special ??? How much did they pay him for that ??
Exactly...

And katt ain't talk about none of the bull shit....

If they offered him 500k Monique needs to STFU, cuz she was never fucking with katt on that stage

I actually like Monique. She from Baltimore. Represent. I love seeing one of ours make it. But she be geeking sometimes.

Right now she geeking. Take the 500k and kill the special.

She's currently getting NO exposure. And she's claiming Hollywood won't fuck with her.

I get it... Netflix is the new industry trick and it's no mystery they giving damn near anybody millions for a special... So you figured you could cash in too....

Makes perfect sense...

Only.... They offered you half a million....

Like I know that fucks with your pride... But it's half as million when NOBODY ELSE GOT SHIT FOR YOU!!!!!

take the money shorty.. If you really on Martin, Eddie, Dave, Richard level..... Then give us that material and let us stand with you..

Cuz I ain't hear THAT yet from her.... She good... But she talking bout some shit she could be proving with an extra half a million in her pocket.

Dave Chappelle just had the most watched Netflix debut ever. Monique do that.... She can demand more than half a mil

Back