Welcome To aBlackWeb

Megan Thee Stallion Feels Like It's Her Job to Offend 'Emotionally Ignorant' Men

I can see the argument that the criticism is different but it also affects women's careers in different ways. I've yet to hear someone say they're tired of Pusha T still rapping about cocaine for the past 20 years on the same level that after barely a 2 year run people are saying "Damn Meg only talks about sexual shit". Yet would also say they won't listen to her rap unless she's talking about that same sexual shit. So for women rappers it's a double edge sword.

I do agree that on some level Kim and Foxy did do some damage because of the way they were promoted but that's also on us as a culture for supporting it while not also supporting their female counterparts who didn't take such a sexual image on.

1 dimensional male rappers do get criticized, but you're probably right that, that particular criticism is laid on women who rap about sex more. I don't know. Maybe it's just a blatant double standard, or maybe Pusha T is just more creative about the way he tackles his 1 subject than Meg is.

I definitely wouldn't use the word encourage to describe whatever it was you were attempting to do but I saw where the convo was going and decided to pull over and find a new destination.

You were talking about double standards in the black/hip hop community and I agreed with you by expressing my views on them as well

You said that you’ve been here for a long while…..I haven’t really been posting here until this week. You’ve been here longer and you’ve had more than enough time to share your perspectives on those double standards and make threads on them. Unless I just ain’t seeing them

I wrote a comment in regards to the conscious community on another thread yesterday and it was barely noted.

But when I say that Megan is a whore on this thread y’all lose y’all minds lol

ou were talking about double standards in the black/hip hop community and I agreed with you by expressing my views on them as well

You said that you’ve been here for a long while…..I haven’t really been posting here until this week. You’ve been here longer and you’ve had more than enough time to share your perspectives on those double standards and make threads on them. Unless I just ain’t seeing them

I wrote a comment in regards to the conscious community yesterday and it was barely noted.

These niggas hold hands when it come to things that doesn't sit well with them and their conscious and go against their views that they expect everyone to follow that social media is pushing.

When you call it out, it's crickets or more stupid shit added on.

These niggas worst than the beehive

1 dimensional male rappers do get criticized, but you're probably right that, that particular criticism is laid on women who rap about sex more. I don't know. Maybe it's just a blatant double standard, or maybe Pusha T is just more creative about the way he tackles his 1 subject than Meg is.

It's definitely more than 1 thing that contributes to it. I was just making the overall point that rap fans and rap critics do give women rappers a harder time with the whole "they talk about fucking" yet also "I don't listen to women rappers I just wanna see them shake their ass" commentary. I've seen it here on abw and in conversations about female rappers in general. Yet those same people never seem to point out their own biases when these discussions pop up which skews the discussion a bit due to that dishonesty

I
These niggas hold hands when it come to things that doesn't sit well with them and their conscious and go against their views that they expect everyone to follow that social media is pushing.

When you call it out, it's crickets or more stupid shit added on.

These niggas worst than the beehive

I notice that pattern a lot…smh

It's definitely more than 1 thing that contributes to it. I was just making the overall point that rap fans and rap critics do give women rappers a harder time with the whole "they talk about fucking" yet also "I don't listen to women rappers I just wanna see them shake their ass" commentary. I've seen it here on abw and in conversations about female rappers in general. Yet those same people never seem to point out their own biases when these discussions pop up which skews the discussion a bit due to that dishonesty

I hear you.

I want to be fair minded in this discussion. What you're saying just doesn't ring true to me, but maybe it's because I haven't engaged in enough of the convos you're referencing. Are you sure that the same people are making both arguments?

I can only speak for myself. I'm definitely someone who falls into that first camp. I don't care to hear rap songs about fucking whether the artist is male or female. It's just not a subject matter that piques my interest as far as Hip Hop goes. That said, I'm 100% the opposite of that second camp. My favorite female artists are the ones that don't have to put their sexuality first. I'm sure there are more on here that think like me, but I can't say what the proportions are.

I hear you.

I want to be fair minded in this discussion. What you're saying just doesn't ring true to me, but maybe it's because I haven't engaged in enough of the convos you're referencing. Are you sure that the same people are making both arguments?

I can only speak for myself. I'm definitely someone who falls into that first camp. I don't care to hear rap songs about fucking whether the artist is male or female. It's just not a subject matter that piques my interest as far as Hip Hop goes. That said, I'm 100% the opposite of that second camp. My favorite female artists are the ones that don't have to put their sexuality first. I'm sure there are more on here that think like me, but I can't say what the proportions are.

I'd say from what I've read, researched and observed over the years you're probably in the minority when it comes to the part of this post about not wanting to hear it from either male or female rappers. If not then there wouldn't be so many of hip hops most popular songs that revolve around fucking. Even those who we hold up as highly regarded lyricists their sexual songs are often referenced first when people talk about their music. Think about Pac. As much as we love the emotions in his music and the truth to power he spoke on its can't be debated against that one of his most popular songs is I Get Around. Same with Biggie. We love his in depth lyricism yet more people can quote the lyrics to "Big Poppa" than "Sky's The Limit". One of Jay's biggest hits is Big Pimpin. Snoop never even released "It Ain't No Fun" yet that song still gets regular radio play nearly 30 years after the album dropped. Luda with "Area Codes" and "Pimpin All Over The World" ..and those are just a few examples.

And alot of the people who can rap those songs word for word were also the ones who all of a sudden grow a conscious and have a problem with women rappers rapping sexual lyrics.

You were talking about double standards in the black/hip hop community and I agreed with you by expressing my views on them as well

I wrote a comment in regards to the conscious community on another thread yesterday and it was barely noted.

understood

I'd say from what I've read, researched and observed over the years you're probably in the minority when it comes to the part of this post about not wanting to hear it from either male or female rappers. If not then there wouldn't be so many of hip hops most popular songs that revolve around fucking. Even those who we hold up as highly regarded lyricists their sexual songs are often referenced first when people talk about their music. Think about Pac. As much as we love the emotions in his music and the truth to power he spoke on its can't be debated against that one of his most popular songs is I Get Around. Same with Biggie. We love his in depth lyricism yet more people can quote the lyrics to "Big Poppa" than "Sky's The Limit". One of Jay's biggest hits is Big Pimpin. Snoop never even released "It Ain't No Fun" yet that song still gets regular radio play nearly 30 years after the album dropped. Luda with "Area Codes" and "Pimpin All Over The World" ..and those are just a few examples.

And alot of the people who can rap those songs word for word were also the ones who all of a sudden grow a conscious and have a problem with women rappers rapping sexual lyrics.

I'm talking more about songs about the act of fucking moreso that men and women interacting on that tip. As an example, I don't have a problem with Big Poppa really, but Nasty Boy is always a skip for me. Now if you're making a comparison between male rappers talking about getting chicks (i.e., pimping) and women talking about performing sex acts, I can see your point.

I get what you're trying to say, but I can't agree with it. I don't think women get criticized for making sexual songs more than men do. I think the criticism is just different. Women get called sluts for making that music and men get called misogynists. At best I'd say they catch that flack about the same, but I don't know. Lil Kim and Trina made entire careers about talking about how much they suck and fuck, and I think that's actually to the detriment of women rappers because they actually outshined people like Remy, Rah Digga, Brat, etc... who are better rappers and made better music without having to oversexualize themselves. That's a different discussion.

On this topic, I get what you're saying, but I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

In the 90’s plenty of male rappers took flack for calling women bitches and hoez. It got to the point where they had to go on news programs and defend themselves. Although calling every woman a bitch/hoe is exaggerating, I still respect their willingness to defend their views just as much as I defend Meg and Cardi. But it seems to actually BENEFIT them more than it did males. Nothing is stopping Meg from going number 1 and twerking for the world to see.

I don’t see women really criticized as much either. At least not to the point where their music has people trying to boycott them and totally end its distribution.

Like I said in a previous post, I remember when Nelly made “Tip Drill” and it almost halted his entire career

Tip Drill didnt almost halt his career, him swiping a credit card down a woman's ass cheek did

I'm talking more about songs about the act of fucking moreso that men and women interacting on that tip. As an example, I don't have a problem with Big Poppa really, but Nasty Boy is always a skip for me. Now if you're making a comparison between male rappers talking about getting chicks (i.e., pimping) and women talking about performing sex acts, I can see your point.

The bold is what I've been talking about. Quite often the songs about getting women and fucking them are basically one in the same so I didn't make the distinction but yes...that's what I've been talking about.

The bold is what I've been talking about. Quite often the songs about getting women and fucking them are basically one in the same so I didn't make the distinction but yes...that's what I've been talking about.

For whatever it's worth, as I read your post, what @The Lonious Monk said immediately came to my mind, also. Those are two very different things. I don't know that they can be used interchangeably. Y'all carry on, though.

Last edited:
Tip Drill didnt almost halt his career, him swiping a credit card down a woman's ass cheek did

Right….and that compares to Cardi and Megan being half naked in their videos and performances?

The visuals are still overtly sexual but they don’t receive the same backlash at the same level

I’m for whatever…but I agree with Monk’s statement that the level of criticism will always be different. WAP video benefited Meg and Cardi…tip drill didn’t benefit Nelly

Right….and that compares to Cardi and Megan being half naked in their videos and performances?

The visuals are still overtly sexual but they don’t receive the same backlash at the same level

I’m for whatever…but I agree with Monk’s statement that the level of criticism will always be different. WAP video benefited Meg and Cardi…tip drill didn’t benefit Nelly
this isnt the same imo but i see how you can equate the two

nelly's video was made at a time when labels relied on music stations to get the videos out to the public. In order for to happen, the video had to check off certain boxes to get aired. Well, BET trying to give adults a place to get their videos seen created uncut. For whatever reason, as many problematic videos that aired during that time, his was chosen to be the face of the outrage

These days, MTV nor BET play music videos, and with the surge of youtube and other similar outlets, unless they sacrificing babies or some shit, they have WAY more freedom to make the kind of videos they want and arent subjected to a lot of the boundaries videos from back in the day had to be subjected to.

I'm trying to think of a proper comp. idk, maybe if Cardi heavily suggested using a dildo on a man? idk

I think alot of dudes just never really be around mature women or men like that. When I say mature I'm talking about folks who challenges there way of thinking, provide emotional intelligence towards assessments, thoughtfulness, and most importantly factual information vs an "opinion". It's scary seeing some folks in there 30s and 40s still not being exposed to that shit. Idk if it's ego, or being willingly ignorant but some of y'all have more patience then me because I can't talk folks like that for a long time shit be draining me lol. But hats off to folks who can provide more insight and patience. @AP2.0 your patience is uncanny brother LMAO.
Catch-22... we applaud and downplay diverse thinking as well as stagnation...

Now here's the counter to that..alot of the male rappers they listen to have the exact same and even more explicit content and they don't hold them to that same standard. I mean TI went around calling himself "Pussy Pumper" for a good decade and nobody ever told him to rap about something other than the trap, pussy and money.
I think it has to do with visual...

this isnt the same imo but i see how you can equate the two

nelly's video was made at a time when labels relied on music stations to get the videos out to the public. In order for to happen, the video had to check off certain boxes to get aired. Well, BET trying to give adults a place to get their videos seen created uncut. For whatever reason, as many problematic videos that aired during that time, his was chosen to be the face of the outrage

These days, MTV nor BET play music videos, and with the surge of youtube and other similar outlets, unless they sacrificing babies or some shit, they have WAY more freedom to make the kind of videos they want and arent subjected to a lot of the boundaries videos from back in the day had to be subjected to.

I'm trying to think of a proper comp. idk, maybe if Cardi heavily suggested using a dildo on a man? idk

There is no proper comp. That's why this part of the convo y'all been having is pointless. It's impossible to make an apples to apples comparison on that part. Because historically, female rappers sexualize themselves in their music. And historically, male rappers sexualize women in their music. Just be the nature of what it is, a comparison is impossible.

Last edited:
Back