Welcome To aBlackWeb

LOL Y'all niggas have no idea what you're talkin about. In this climate a black woman taking on the mantle as a major superhero especially a character who received as much praise as Shuri would be huge. How exactly would THAT fail? It would be a different vibe, one that doesn't take away from the bar Chadwick raised. Actually that would probably drive the hype even more so. This isn't rocket science especially considering the fact Shuri becoming BP HAS happened. Alot of yall just woman hatin deep down.
I know it’s hard to keep up with who said what in threads, but I’ve said multiple times it’s not about a woman being BP. It’s about the actress that plays Letitia being able to carry a movie and franchise. She’s just not built for it in every sense of the word

I’ve said I’d love to see Lupita as BP, but I know it won’t happen because it’s out of continuity for her character.

I know it’s hard to keep up with who said what in threads, but I’ve said multiple times it’s not about a woman being BP. It’s about the actress that plays Letitia being able to carry a movie and franchise. She’s just not built for it in every sense of the word

I’ve said I’d love to see Lupita as BP, but I know it won’t happen because it’s out of continuity for her character.

I think Lupita steals the scenes when they’re in them together. That’s not. Good sign for people who think she can carry the role.

Last edited:
The praise for Letitia was as the loveable smart little sister. Put her in Chad’s role as the lead and see how fast that praise falls.

The praise was for her performance. It doesn't make any sense to say that people only liked her for her relation to Chadwick when people were clamoring to see her in movies where Chadwick wasn't even present. Hell, when IronHeart (the black chick that took over for Ironman in the comics) became a thing and RDJ made it clear his run was almost up, some people were speculating that Marvel was going to flip it and have Shuri basically take over IM's role as the tech genius superhero. Does that sound like people were only interested in her because of her relationship to BP?

lol Black Widow got a whole ass movie coming out and yall dont say shit but somehow Shuri(Leticia) cant hold down a movie as a lead? How?

Shuris character is way more interesting imo

Suri is a more interesting character yes but Scar Jo can lead an entire film. Letitia is great but having her first leading role being BP2 would be such a make or break career move that you'd hate to see it flop. She's solid in her current role. I think in a few more films she could have a leading role. We still need to see Suri's character develop. Chadwick bodied Black Panther so hard that when you watched him in that role for the first time you would've though he's been Black Panther his whole life. That's skills as an actor. Letitia isn't on that level yet but she definitely can be.

Picture a Guardians film with no Chris Pratt and Zoe as the lead. Would it still hit the same? maybe and she's been a leading actress before. It would still be a huge role for her to fill. Some of these actors in super hero movies body the characters so good that you just can't separate the actor and actress from the hero. I dare you to picture anybody other than RDJ as Iron Man. Just like how Tom has Spidey on lock. Chadwick did such a great job as Black Panther that the role going forward requires an on film presence that many actors and actresses don't possess. That's why I nominated Stephan James. He has the on screen presence to own the character on the screen. If you look at his other films and his on screen presence you can see how he could totally slide into a role of this magnitude.

Suri is a more interesting character yes but Scar Jo can lead an entire film. Letitia is great but having her first leading role being BP2 would be such a make or break career move that you'd hate to see it flop. She's solid in her current role. I think in a few more films she could have a leading role. We still need to see Suri's character develop. Chadwick bodied Black Panther so hard that when you watched him in that role for the first time you would've though he's been Black Panther his whole life. That's skills as an actor. Letitia isn't on that level yet but she definitely can be.

Picture a Guardians film with no Chris Pratt and Zoe as the lead. Would it still hit the same? maybe and she's been a leading actress before. It would still be a huge role for her to fill. Some of these actors in super hero movies body the characters so good that you just can't separate the actor and actress from the hero. I dare you to picture anybody other than RDJ as Iron Man. Just like how Tom has Spidey on lock. Chadwick did such a great job as Black Panther that the role going forward requires an on film presence that many actors and actresses don't possess. That's why I nominated Stephan James. He has the on screen presence to own the character on the screen. If you look at his other films and his on screen presence you can see how he could totally slide into a role of this magnitude.

Just because Letitia hasn't had the chance to be the lead doesn't mean she couldn't take that on.

Maybe what they'll do is shelf BP2 for a bit out of respect and create a show centered around Shuri on Disney+ to boost that characters profile.

Similar to how they are doing with Scarlet Witch/Vision along with The Falcon/Winter Soldier and then eventually push her as the lead of a film.

Last edited:
If they recast T'Chilla wouldn't whoever take his place potentially have the gripes y'all have about Letica taking the BP mantle.

:niggawhat:

Ol boy from If Beal Street can talk or any other dude ain't a sure fire lead either. At least w/ Letica/Shuri you actually have a known and well like actor.

If they recast T'Chilla wouldn't whoever take his place potentially have the gripes y'all have about Letica taking the BP mantle.

:niggawhat:

Ol boy from If Beal Street can talk or any other dude ain't a sure fire lead either. At least w/ Letica/Shuri you actually have a known and well like actor.

There's a difference between being a known and well liked actor and being in a leading role. Anthony Mackie has been in a leading role in several films. His best role is as a supporting actor playing Falcon. Can Anthony Mackie carry a whole film centered around Falcon? yes but it's not gonna hit. Saying someone can't carry a film is not a knock. Hell there's only a few in Hollywood who can consistently carry a film.

There's a difference between being a known and well liked actor and being in a leading role. Anthony Mackie has been in a leading role in several films. His best role is as a supporting actor playing Falcon. Can Anthony Mackie carry a whole film centered around Falcon? yes but it's not gonna hit. Saying someone can't carry a film is not a knock. Hell there's only a few in Hollywood who can consistently carry a film.

If Marvel has shown us anything over the last 12 years, is that they have a strong enough foundation to have almost any one be a lead.

RDJ was damn near blacklisted when he got Ironman, and folks had to beg to get him hired.

A LOTTA folks was skeptical about Pual Rudd

Chris Pratt wasn't a sure thing when he got GOTG

I'm sure most MF never even heard of Chris Hemsworth & Tom Holland b4 they got Thor & Spidey

Y'all saying Shuri can't carry a film is based off nothing

If Marvel has shown us anything over the last 12 years, is that they have a strong enough foundation to have almost any one be a lead.

RDJ was damn near blacklisted when he got Ironman, and folks had to beg to get him hired.

I'm sure most MF never even heard of Chris Hemsworth & Tom Holland b4 they got Thor & Spidey

It's based off the same gripes they had over Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, and Black Widow....

It has nothing to do with Shuri being able to carry a movie, its about not killing off the T'Challa in the MCU, thats it. Niggas wanna see T'Challa go against Namor and Doom. Him team up with the F4. Him lead the New Avengers with Spider-Man. Etc. If they wanna give Shuri the mantle after the BP trilogy, cool. But not now. Yall niggas tripping hard.

Wasn't nobody checking for Chris Evans like that either before Captain America... he wasn't leading in roles like that lol

It has nothing to do with Shuri being able to carry a movie, its about not killing off the T'Challa in the MCU, thats it. Niggas wanna see T'Challa go against Namor and Doom. Him team up with the F4. Him lead the New Avengers with Spider-Man. Etc. If they wanna give Shuri the mantle after the BP trilogy, cool. But not now. Yall niggas tripping hard.

There was no guarantee that they was gonna go that route with Chadwick

Last edited:
It's based off the same gripes they had over Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, and Black Widow....

No it's based off of how she is not a dominant enough presence on the big screen yet. If you go back and watch Black Panther again if there's a scene with both Letitia and Lupita then Lupita is clearly the more dominating presence on the screen. The same with Letitia and Danai.

Letitia was great in the movie but there were other actresses who dominated the screen overwhelmingly over her. If you cast her in the leading role for BP2 then you'e gonna have to recast other people because if not she will get easily overshadowed.

RDJ, Chris Evans, Paul Rudd, and Chris Pratt dominant scenes. It's hard to not notice RDJ in any of his scenes. he has a presence that you can feel. The same is now true for Tom Holland. That's why he can star in Spiderman. You an't outshine him. Letitia isn't at that stage yet where she can outshine those other headliners. That's not a knock. It just means that she's not ready yet.

And I'm basing this off of how she was easily outshined in a lot of Black Panther scenes. She's a supporting actress and it's probably too premature to cast her as the lead in a film as big as BP2. She was have to change her whole demeanor on screen or they will have to scale back the on screen presence of other actors and actresses.

No it's based off of how she is not a dominant enough presence on the big screen yet. If you go back and watch Black Panther again if there's a scene with both Letitia and Lupita then Lupita is clearly the more dominating presence on the screen. The same with Letitia and Danai.

Letitia was great in the movie but there were other actresses who dominated the screen overwhelmingly over her. If you cast her in the leading role for BP2 then you'e gonna have to recast other people because if not she will get easily overshadowed.

Danai and Lupitas roles were meant and written to be strong characters tho...They were both warriors while Letitia was written more of being on some young kid sister scientist shit... I dont think her "presence" onscreen has much to do with her acting ability.. moreso on how the character was written for that film.

RDJ, Chris Evans, Paul Rudd, and Chris Pratt dominant scenes. It's hard to not notice RDJ in any of his scenes. he has a presence that you can feel. The same is now true for Tom Holland. That's why he can star in Spiderman. You an't outshine him. Letitia isn't at that stage yet where she can outshine those other headliners. That's not a knock. It just means that she's not ready yet.

And I'm basing this off of how she was easily outshined in a lot of Black Panther scenes. She's a supporting actress and it's probably too premature to cast her as the lead in a film as big as BP2. She was have to change her whole demeanor on screen or they will have to scale back the on screen presence of other actors and actresses.

lol what are we doing here? Some folks were saying T’Challa got outshined by alot of the other characters in his own film!

in your head what's the threshold/benchmark for someone to go from supporting to lead? Just seems like yall making up some arbitrary shit cuz yall think she can be a lead actress going forward

*shrugs*

Danai and Lupitas roles were meant and written to be strong characters tho...They were both warriors while Letitia was written more of being on some young kid sister scientist shit... I dont think her "presence" onscreen has much to do with her acting ability.. moreso on how the character was written for that film.

lol what are we doing here? Some folks were saying T’Challa got outshined by alot of the other characters in his own film!

in your head what's the threshold/benchmark for someone to go from supporting to lead? Just seems like yall making up some arbitrary shit cuz yall think she can be a lead actress going forward

*shrugs*

This is what happens when you try to make logic match your feelings.

Back