Welcome To aBlackWeb

Lupe vs Royce: We finally have ourselves a rap battle. Rd 1 songs dropped

I'm going to take this all the way back to why I'm cool with Lupe.

'Kick-Push' is a classic. I grew up trying to learn to skate (skateboard). Was no good. NES came out and released a game called 'Skate or Die'. Fell in love with it. Fast forward to years later and Pharrell was part of the skateboard gang. Combine all that and I've been rocking with Lupe ever since.

1626636763309.png

this might be another thread cuz this dont have shit to do with Royce... but one of yall super Lupe fans explain why anything he's done since has topped anything story/lyric/concept-wise since the Michael Young saga. Yall can try to justify that waves shit but im not certain that shit connects the same

this might be another thread cuz this dont have shit to do with Royce... but one of yall super Lupe fans explain why anything he's done since has topped anything story/lyric/concept-wise since the Michael Young saga. Yall can try to justify that waves shit but im not certain that shit connects the same
michael young history is sprinkled all over Tetsuo Youth and Drogas Wave...its just not as evident as say The Cool.

the first part of Drogas Wave (wave) is just fantastic. Its a mini movie imo

the second part (drogas) is just as great.

you need to listen brotha

michael young history is sprinkled all over Tetsuo Youth and Drogas Wave...its just not as evident as say The Cool.

the first part of Drogas Wave (wave) is just fantastic. Its a mini movie imo

the second part (drogas) is just as great.

you need to listen brotha

i'll be honest I kinda checked out from Lupe after the cool cuz it seemed like he was being intentional with making his songs a fuckin extra complicated easter egg hunt at that point

I've said it before but I may need to circle back

i'll be honest I kinda checked out from Lupe after the cool cuz it seemed like he was being intentional with making his songs a fuckin extra complicated easter egg hunt at that point

I've said it before but I may need to circle back
i fuck with the treasure map shit...like heavy

it makes me research the shit he talking about and i start wanting to know more about it

i've watched that video i posted earlier a lot of times prior to posting it but watching it again today, i caught some more shit.

fucking levels man...

have you heard this? older song, but man this nigga is rapping!!

Last edited:

it makes me research the shit he talking about and i start wanting to know more about it

i've watched that video i posted earlier a lot of times prior to posting it but watching it again today, i caught some more shit.

fucking levels man...

No offense to the other posters, but many of them can't appreciate a lyricist like Lupe and would be more comfortable listening to 'bubble-gum rap' like Migos and all those other barrette-wearing fools.

1626662659248.png

fucking levels man...

I think that might be the difference for me. I aint tryna go on a fuckin treasure hunt to enjoy a song.. the Lupe joints I fuck with are great as standalone songs and the fact that they connect to a larger story just adds to the greatness.

This other shit he been doing... it just aint been for me. He still rapping at a high ass level.. I just prefer his earlier shit.. which was still rap at a high level and still had "hidden" shit in it but i just havent been connecting with this new stuff.

That being said.. and bringing it back to the thread premise... he try to pull this ultra meta shit in a battle.. like @Alle'Oop said.. he gon try to get so meta that most folks aint gon catch it and by the time they do aint nobody other than hardcore lupe fans gon give a fuck about the battle at that point... well that's if it actually happens lol

I think that might be the difference for me. I aint tryna go on a fuckin treasure hunt to enjoy a song.. the Lupe joints I fuck with are great as standalone songs and the fact that they connect to a larger story just adds to the greatness.

This other shit he been doing... it just aint been for me. He still rapping at a high ass level.. I just prefer his earlier shit.. which was still rap at a high level and still had "hidden" shit in it but i just havent been connecting with this new stuff.

That being said.. and bringing it back to the thread premise... he try to pull this ultra meta shit in a battle.. like @Alle'Oop said.. he gon try to get so meta that most folks aint gon catch it and by the time they do aint nobody other than hardcore lupe fans gon give a fuck about the battle at that point... well that's if it actually happens lol
i guarantee you, you would fuck with Drogas Waves

nothing wrong with preference though...i look at T&Y and DW as continuations of any michael young history shit but it's just expounded/expanded.

but he's telling other stories now

i think i know what you mean though. Kinda like how we been waiting for "good ass job" from Kanye to drop to complete the college dropout series...at least to me.

@Inori, i edited my post earlier with "pussy" as it was the edited version

this one is the explicit version that i added

Usually, once somebody asks someone to explain or convince them of some shit, they ain’t never gonna see it.

I can’t convince a person that one concept is “better” but I can show them the concepts and then decide for themselves. Since “The Cool”, he’s done so many different concepts that rappers wouldn’t dream of nor attempt, whether it’s Double Burger with Cheese, Madonna, Deliver, All Black Everything or WAV files, Gold vs The Right Things to Do, Dinosaurs, Next To It or Kill…

Back