Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY Let’s Build (Vol4): Real N!gga = Street N!gga

Power
Power spinoffs
Snowfall
BMF

Dominate the black community

Can black people create a successful black drama that’s cool to certain types of people that isn’t about drugs?

Yeah, and it ends up like a Tyler Perry flick that tears down white collar Black men in the process.

I think we need to do away with all of it. Joining gang culture needs to be considered lame moving forward.

How to execute it? Idk.

I know for me personally, I didn’t grow up watching cartoons, my super heros were Hov, Pac, Nas, etc. that’s who I tried to emulate. It wasn’t til I got older and realized how dumb it all was , but for a lot they never get the chance to reach that point.
But you also got that picture of you holding up that science project

The fact that you still got that pic means that you were in a family that was proud and rewarded you for academic achievements. And stable enough that it survived 20 years. I don't knew much more about your life... But I'm sure there are quite a few more factors that helped you wisen up as you got older.

Those things are the focus. Cuz Nas Pac Hov your heroes... But you still turned out good. There's other contributing factors to that success.

I used to live in the main branch of the library. They had mad study rooms. I always thought nerd chicks were cute and cool, and my mother always told me never limit my education to what's given to me, you gotta go get other sources as well

So yeah, I try to build a fascination with the library with my kids. Which is why one of my proposed solutions was doing shit at the library. Mad people have no idea how fun the library can be. And that's a way to push shit in another direction

Why does Black America glorify street culture?

Does hiphop play a part?

How can we correct this mentality and conditioning within our community?

Idk I think out street image came from the 70s I don’t know if before that time Street culture was as popular but my dad grew up in the 50s in his area he thought it was cool to be bad and not like crazy bad shoot and rob everybody. But like a delinquent. My mom live was different

But I think the 70s made it seem like it was extra cool like the street dude is getting back at the White Man by making his own way. Vs having to follow white man rules.

But somebody realized it’s a lot of money made behind it and it got pushed to the extreme. But when folks started talking about the images especially when rap became popular it seems like artists bucked on that. 2pac and the politician C Delores Tucker.

But I’ve noticed suburban black folk for the most part ain’t with it at all

I hesitate to participate in threads like this because they usually don't lead anywhere. You can't resolve a problem until you understand the problem. And most of us aren't interested in doing the legwork to understand the problem or other people's perspective of the problem.

Y’all fight tooth and nail when it comes to rap and say it’s our culture.

Rap culture is violence

The biggest promotion of it comes from what y’all say is our culture

My aunt was a teacher, but got me reading Donald Goines and Iceberg Slim mad young. Then books were street as hell, but they taught lessons. They didn't make me wanna go out and be a pimp.... But it did help me see thru a lotta people who thought they were.

It's two sides of everything. Like yeah, kids might think being a street nigga is cool.... But break medical insurance down to them, and how 100k really ain't shit if you got multiple kids and no health insurance, no dental plan, no 401k no savings, don't own anything. Like both sides gotta be shown.

It's cool to like money and fly things... But let's work on how to maintain it and not just acquire it. I don't think there's anything really wrong with music. If the shit knocks, it's getting played. But we can work on more defined goals.

Don't just want a fly car to want a fly car, figure out the plan to be able to keep your car as well. Give kids more options

Rap culture is violence

So what's the solution?
Censor rap music?
Take it off the radios and Internet?
Boycott and cancel all violent rappers for the crimes against our community?

That sounds like a lotta blame, blame, blame, and no accountability.

Leave the music alone and teach, influence, and provide more options and opportunities. Help develope, and expose the other sides of the images being shown. Expound how living like that is not sustainable. It's a burn out fast life at best. Show them how to successful obtain and maintain.

And along the way they will more than likely smarten up like pretty much everybody in here that grew up listening to rap

Our music and cinema has portrayed the bad guy as the good guy. Take Snowfall, All or Power universe, The Wire, Boyz N The Hood, Menace to Society and others. Our music made the drug dealer and gangsta top sellers.

For example use 2pac as case study. When he was rapping like Chuck D he couldn't see gold with 2pacalpys Now album, buddy got into controversy after playing the role as Bishop, shot at some plain clothes cop, got himself shot up . Now he's the best thing going when he was rapping about upliftment and empowering our people no fan fare. Soon as he goes "gangsta" you got some of you weirdos yappin about he's speaking that real shit.

Our people have been strategically been molded to be accustomed to violence and destruction of our community's. I'm guilty of it just like all of us because I would rather see Franklin murk someone than Madea pray for her family to see a brighter day.

The radio won't play a J.Cole or Rapsody but will play the new up and coming fuck nigga trying to shoot his opps or the new rap chick using her pussy for the finer things in life instead of her mind.

It's endless cycle at this point thats why I listen to jazz nowadays and old school RnB

Rap culture is violence

Rap culture is much more than violence. If all you see when you look at rap is violence then you're also doing yourself a disservice

We honestly need conversations like this. We may have different ways to help our communities, but at least we are starting to talk about what can be done.

Rap culture is violence

Today, I'll give you that. When I was coming up, it was really the opposite. The culture was more focused on uplifting the youth. Getting us educated, pointing out the problems and where they came from, so on and so forth. MC's were actually talking about positive shit, showing you how the government got us locked in looking for a handout (i.e. Just Ice's "Welfare Recipients"), all kinds of shit. And yeah, back then you had a few groups the were talking that drug shit, but if you really think about it, that was few and far between until about '94-'95.

We can thank label consolidation into the hands of white owned companies for changing that.

Our people have been strategically been molded to be accustomed to violence and destruction of our community's
See this can't be accredited to just music though.

It's lazy. There has to be a significant effort to counter these things other than just listening to jazz.

You should still be able to listen to rap, and uplift the community at the same time

Our music and cinema has portrayed the bad guy as the good guy. Take Snowfall, All or Power universe, The Wire, Boyz N The Hood, Menace to Society and others. Our music made the drug dealer and gangsta top sellers.

For example use 2pac as case study. When he was rapping like Chuck D he couldn't see gold with 2pacalpys Now album, buddy got into controversy after playing the role as Bishop, shot at some plain clothes cop, got himself shot up . Now he's the best thing going when he was rapping about upliftment and empowering our people no fan fare. Soon as he goes "gangsta" you got some of you weirdos yappin about he's speaking that real shit.

Our people have been strategically been molded to be accustomed to violence and destruction of our community's. I'm guilty of it just like all of us because I would rather see Franklin murk someone than Madea pray for her family to see a brighter day.

The radio won't play a J.Cole or Rapsody but will play the new up and coming fuck nigga trying to shoot his opps or the new rap chick using her pussy for the finer things in life instead of her mind.

It's endless cycle at this point thats why I listen to jazz nowadays and old school RnB

You know what's funny with the 2Pac example is outside of a few songs, the music he's most known for has nothing to do with being gangsta or doing anything hard. I mean the song he's arguably known most for, Dear Mama, is about his relationship with his mom. He's a very interesting case study on something Andre 3k mastered in the Hollywood Divorce song where he opens his verse talking about regular bragging rapper shit then pivots with "Now that I've got your undivided attention" and spits about how to actually better yourself and your community for your family.

Back