John Leguizamo - “Latinos built this country”

Is he right?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • No

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Helped

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • Ain’t you pretending to be Puerto Rican?

Votes: 6 10.9%

• Total voters
I think everyone would agree that Mexicans have been putting work, especially in the late 20th century up to now, but this country was already built at that point.

Yes, it continues to grow and evolve, and Hispanics play an important role in that.

The issue is that when someone says "We built this country" they tend to be talking more from a fundamental stance. That's why it goes back to the slaves because it was slave labor that brought in the revenue that allowed the country to grow the way it did.

Latinos been working farms on the west cost since the days of slavery helping supply this country with much of the produce
Eh, dates don't add up. For example, California didn't even become a part of the United States until 1850. During this time, the whites was just kicking everybody off their lands so the ability for them to contribute went in the gutter. The number of Hispanics in the country in 1850 number a little over 100k (we were in the millions). It only went that high because of the gold rush and I think of the 300 or so thousand people they said moved out west, 20 thousand of it were Hispanics. Honestly, there might be an argument that their contribution prior to the 20th century was negligible. Mexico was still an Empire and shit around this time.

I'm not disputing this

THIS particular conversation is involving previous contributions that helped build America

Not your modern day Latinos doing the things you're describing in your posts
Dude fiber been around for a long ass time, Ma bells backbone is copper and fiber

Do y’all really in your heart believe only black folks in slavery built this country from California down to Louisiana up to New York?
Natives were slaves in this country from the time St Augustine was settled in Florida until well into the 1800. The first 13 stopped using Natives as slaves beginning in the early-mid 1700's but out west it was a thriving practice until good and into the 1800's.

If any other group can lay claim to building this country, it's Natives. We were enslaved long before the first ship carrying Africans in 1619.

All I’m saying is he is more correct than y’all know, it’s just that y’all feel like he’s saying built everything dolo. But they are the unsung heroes of America. They are, I’m not discounting what black people have done, we built the rail ways and roads. We equally built this country’s infrastructure.

In my city alone, god knows how the fuck they do it with the way Americans treat and think of Mexicans.

In my city alone, they have taken over 2 main roads, they have Mexican restaurants, Mexican supermarkets, Mexican churches, Mexican neighborhoods centers. There is a Mexican family in my city that owns two Food Lion grocery stores, and have bought multiple strip malls where they put an ABC store , a vape shop, and a Mexican eating spot.

Ion know how the fuck they do it, but they put in work.
This is group economics.
And I applaud them for it.
And honestly, the local community should take note and be a bit embarrassed.

The same work you speak on, the locals could have did.

All I’m saying is he is more correct than y’all know, it’s just that y’all feel like he’s saying built everything dolo. But they are the unsung heroes of America. They are, I’m not discounting what black people have done, we built the rail ways and roads. We equally built this country’s infrastructure.

If you had to pick a year that you'd feel the country's backbone was completed, what would it be? Like, when is the cutoff point where we tally the score.

Reactions: GNS
Yes, even I have to agree they helped. Latinos, Hispanics, or however you name them. I give them that much credit.

Btw, this ain't the first time John Leg. stretched the truth. He was over there talking something about how Latinos/Hispanics were the only ones to fight in every single war in this country and this Sista who was the reporter had to remind him "hey, us blacks did the same thing". He didn't chime back in after that.

He was over there talking about how Latinos/Hispanics were the only ones to fight in every single war in this country and this Sista who was the reporter had to remind him "hey, us blacks did the same thing". He didn't chime back in after that.
Is what he saying even true, though? Were there Hispanics serving during the Barbary Wars?

If you had to pick a year that you'd feel the country's backbone was completed, what would it be? Like, when is the cutoff point where we tally the score.
It’s never been completed, its constantly growing. Like right now, a lot of the white males that made up construction crews have either went into contracting or own companies now. So a lot of construction crews you see are a mix of black and Hispanic. So now black and Hispanics are building the infrastructure on top of the infrastructure. Making more than they had ever before. It’s not about competition it’s about growth.

And why is that?
Mexicans are submissive to white people, they stay away from white peoples safe spaces so white people leave them alone. They don’t try to mingle with white people, so white people don’t seem to feel like they infringe on their rights to be white, in a weird way. It’s the opposite for blacks people where for some reason a lot of us seem to believe that success lies in transitioning to white spaces. As taboo has said we had our own before and it was taken so maybe that’s a bi product of it

It’s never been completed, its constantly growing. Like right now, a lot of the white males that made up construction crews have either went into contracting or own companies now. So a lot of construction crews you see are a mix of black and Hispanic. So now black and Hispanics are building the infrastructure on top of the infrastructure. Making more than they had ever before. It’s not about competition it’s about growth.
I mean, he said they "built" this country - past tense. He obviously believes there's an inflection point where this country went from unbuilt to built.

Imagine El Allergeno on AMexicanWeb.com going far off topic to heap praise on black people....

Can you picture that? Neither can i....

lol He didn't praise anything. He just acknowledged something they've done. Who gives a fuck what they do on AMexicanWeb.com. Are we supposed to lie and misrepresent shit just because others do?

Btw, this ain't the first time John Leg. stretched the truth. He was over there talking something about how Latinos/Hispanics were the only ones to fight in every single war in this country and this Sista who was the reporter had to remind him "hey, us blacks did the same thing". He didn't chime back in after that.

That's what I was saying earlier. Lequizamo has a history of this shit, so there's no need to attack a whole group of people when the bullshit is coming from a known bullshitter.

I mean, he said they "built" this country - past tense. He obviously believes there's an inflection point where this country went from unbuilt to built.
Why y’all getting caught up in semantics to purposely not get the point

• Wack
Man, I'm trying to have a solid discussion with you rn lol. I'm not a part of any of the other debates you got going on, just trying to pick your brain.
why he’s using the past tense may have more to do with the overall point he was trying to relay to that person. But beyond the his word choice, the substance of what he was saying is true.

• Cap
Back