Welcome To aBlackWeb

OUT NOW Jay Electronica "A Written Testimony" Album Thread

Rate "A Written Testimony"

• Total voters
Most black were Christians until 20 years ago???
NOI not real Muslims???
NOI, 5%ers, etc. are just off shoot groups based on Islamic teachers centered around the Black community. They couldn't mix wiith the Sunnis, Shiites and them. Catholics and Protestants have more of a common bond and they hate each other. It's easy to bunch together all Muslims because of what we learned about Malcolm X and other figures from these groups, but for the most part the Freeways of the world haven't really embraced their Islamic faith until the mid 90s. Rastas have been around since the 30s, but that was mostly Jamaica and Africa. 20 years is a reach (I'll say we branched out in the late 70s), but for the most part the average Black American was a Christian. Anyone feel free to correct me on any of this.

openly most African Americans were Christian. I still feel most are but it’s a lot of younger black people who don’t follow a religion or trust in the Church.
blacks have been into other religions for longer than 20 years: Judaism for forever, Rhastafarianism since the 30s, NOI as well as 5 percenter since the late 50s and early sixties, Buddhism since the late 70s

NOI, 5%ers, etc. are just off shoot groups based on Islamic teachers centered around the Black community. They couldn't mix wiith the Sunnis, Shiites and them. Catholics and Protestants have more of a common bond and they hate each other. It's easy to bunch together all Muslims because of what we learned about Malcolm X and other figures from these groups, but for the most part the Freeways of the world haven't really embraced their Islamic faith until the mid 90s. Rastas have been around since the 30s, but that was mostly Jamaica and Africa. 20 years is a reach (I'll say we branched out in the late 70s), but for the most part the average Black American was a Christian. Anyone feel free to correct me on any of this.
But either way NOI and the offshoot 5%ers is a religion and respectively a belief system that is entirely outside of Christianity

Last edited:
But either way NOI and the offshoot 5% h is a religion and in regards to 5% or a belief system that is entirely outside of Christianity
First off, gave you a GOAT cuz this can at least steer the conversation to the lyrical content of the album.

True, those are different belief systems. But for one, aside from tax exemption and the Quran, there isn't much that distinguishes NOI and 5% as their own respective religions. Those were groups rooted in quasi-science started by lowkey cult leaders that wanted to gather a large group of ppl for their own interest and disguised it as a revolution against the modern system of oppression. My father (RIP) was a 5%er and they didn't do shit but terrorize the neighborhood (sidenote: he converted to Christianity in jail while my mother was pregnant with me in 86). No shade on those groups, but I say that to say the average Black person was not gonna sign up for something like that in the 50s. A lot of those NOIers and 5%ers were just the few at the time that drank the kool aid. Shit, it's literally called 5% for a reason. Black ppl's (particularly our parents) focus was to stay alive and feed their families... and unless that particular group had a financial and self made military backing (Black Panthers, early gangs) that safety and security was not guaranteed thru these alternate Islamic groups.

Sidebar: I'm sure I'm on point with the historical bulletpoints of Islam, but I'm very ignorant to the particular sects and the differences between them. I'm just recently learning all this dating back a few years ago. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
blacks have been into other religions for longer than 20 years: Judaism for forever, Rhastafarianism since the 30s, NOI as well as 5 percenter since the late 50s and early sixties, Buddhism since the late 70s

I never said blacks wernt into other religions tho. I said Mostly as in most African Americans nationwide when asked what religion would say Christian. I’m not saying all I wouldn’t even say 75%. Rastafarians do have relations to Hebrews and Coptic Christians. And Noble Drew Ali and their teachings have been around for awhile too. But not disputing anything y’all were saying or why the offense

First off, gave you a GOAT cuz this can at least steer the conversation to the lyrical content of the album.

True, those are different belief systems. But for one, aside from tax exemption and the Quran, there isn't much that distinguishes NOI and 5% as their own respective religions. Those were groups rooted in quasi-science started by lowkey cult leaders that wanted to gather a large group of ppl for their own interest and disguised it as a revolution against the modern system of oppression. My father (RIP) was a 5%er and they didn't do shit but terrorize the neighborhood (sidenote: he converted to Christianity in jail while my mother was pregnant with me in 86). No shade on those groups, but I say that to say the average Black person was not gonna sign up for something like that in the 50s. A lot of those NOIers and 5%ers were just the few at the time that drank the kool aid. Shit, it's literally called 5% for a reason. Black ppl's (particularly our parents) focus was to stay alive and feed their families... and unless that particular group had a financial and self made military backing (Black Panthers, early gangs) that safety and security was not guaranteed thru these alternate Islamic groups.

Sidebar: I'm sure I'm on point with the historical bulletpoints of Islam, but I'm very ignorant to the particular sects and the differences between them. I'm just recently learning all this dating back a few years ago. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
In the Malcolm X movie, book, speeeches by NOI leaders and the documentary recently you see how well trained the Fruit of Islam was in regards to protection and how the entire organization if you will was self sufficient: businesses, food, support, etc blacks flocked to that. I totally understand where you're coming from I guess I'm just looking at it in the aspect that people really believed and that's really what dictates a religion micro

I never said blacks wernt into other religions tho. I said Mostly as in most African Americans nationwide when asked what religion would say Christian. I’m not saying all I wouldn’t even say 75%. Rastafarians do have relations to Hebrews and Coptic Christians. And Noble Drew Ali and their teachings have been around for awhile too. But not disputing anything y’all were saying or why the offense
I wasn't coming at you, I was just moreso thrown by the thought originally.

Back