Welcome To aBlackWeb

OUT NOW Jay Electronica "A Written Testimony" Album Thread

Rate "A Written Testimony"

• Total voters
Facts. I think the discrepancies between the original Judeo-Christian ideologies and the other groups is for one, the spreading of Judaism, Christianity and Islam is deep rooted in centuries of bloodshed. The NOI has nothing on the Vatican... aside from the influence of X, Farrakhan and them they can only go so far. The Vatican, Israel and the Middle East are already protected by various militaries. All the NOI, FOI, 5%ers, etc. have is the Black community and MAYBE some media leverage. Like you said, it's on what the ppl believe... and those beliefs kept them running for this long. It's a lot easier to follow a faith with a guaranteed backing than one where you have to put in your own work to match up to its principles.

On to the album, that's my issue with Jay E's input on this. The album is mainly about a spiritual journey, going from relative dormancy to awakening. Jay E. has the knowledge within himself to add on to that theme lyrically. There's no reason that he should sound less inspired than 24 year removed billionaire about spiritual awakening. Take for example Murder To Excellence. When Kanye talks about the murders in Chicago, it hits so much more at home not just because of the current state of that time, but Kanye himself is from Chicago. Jay could only reach so far from his perspective. Bed Stuy is crazy, but it's not Chicago. I don't get the same sentiment from Jay E. this album. It was more so fill in the blanks with biblical references and vague pieces of his own life mixed with some metaphors. The fact that we're just supposed to listen and read between the lines takes away from the true jewels that we need in these trying times.

One thing I noticed in hip hop is that despite the many Islamic faith leaning rappers in the game, there isn't too many that truly speak from that experience. There isn't a Jesus Walks for Muslims... and that's inexcusable in a world where Malcolm X is an icon. I personally think that's due to those groups' lack of real contact with the community. It's hard to speak from that faith when the only thing you can connect to it is quotes from Farrakhan and Supreme Mathematics. Beans and Free were the only true practicing Muslims in the mainstream that I can recall (they're Sunni I believe) and as far as 5%ers, Lord Jamar's 5% Album is a really good album speaking on that faith.

To the NOI, no religion is the enemy. The NOI preaches co existence.

The only enemy of the NOI is white supremacy. Not white people, but white supremacy.

Farrakhan always lets it be known that white people arent the enemy, but white supremacy is.

According to that Malcolm X documentary on Netflix.... great piece of entertainment BTW

It was the passing of JFK that cancelled Malcolm from the NOI under the leadership of Muhammad.... and gettin the former eventually banished from the organisation

And resulted ultimately in his murder

So ironically a powerful white man took away probably the most articulate soldier of the NOI

Spread love like Kermit the Frog, that permeate the fog

The Neverending Story

Them bars always make me chuckle

Another favourite track for me is Universal Soldier

Facts. I think the discrepancies between the original Judeo-Christian ideologies and the other groups is for one, the spreading of Judaism, Christianity and Islam is deep rooted in centuries of bloodshed. The NOI has nothing on the Vatican... aside from the influence of X, Farrakhan and them they can only go so far. The Vatican, Israel and the Middle East are already protected by various militaries. All the NOI, FOI, 5%ers, etc. have is the Black community and MAYBE some media leverage. Like you said, it's on what the ppl believe... and those beliefs kept them running for this long. It's a lot easier to follow a faith with a guaranteed backing than one where you have to put in your own work to match up to its principles.

On to the album, that's my issue with Jay E's input on this. The album is mainly about a spiritual journey, going from relative dormancy to awakening. Jay E. has the knowledge within himself to add on to that theme lyrically. There's no reason that he should sound less inspired than 24 year removed billionaire about spiritual awakening. Take for example Murder To Excellence. When Kanye talks about the murders in Chicago, it hits so much more at home not just because of the current state of that time, but Kanye himself is from Chicago. Jay could only reach so far from his perspective. Bed Stuy is crazy, but it's not Chicago. I don't get the same sentiment from Jay E. this album. It was more so fill in the blanks with biblical references and vague pieces of his own life mixed with some metaphors. The fact that we're just supposed to listen and read between the lines takes away from the true jewels that we need in these trying times.

One thing I noticed in hip hop is that despite the many Islamic faith leaning rappers in the game, there isn't too many that truly speak from that experience. There isn't a Jesus Walks for Muslims... and that's inexcusable in a world where Malcolm X is an icon. I personally think that's due to those groups' lack of real contact with the community. It's hard to speak from that faith when the only thing you can connect to it is quotes from Farrakhan and Supreme Mathematics. Beans and Free were the only true practicing Muslims in the mainstream that I can recall (they're Sunni I believe) and as far as 5%ers, Lord Jamar's 5% Album is a really good album speaking on that faith.

Thing is tho I don’t think Muslims really supposed to make music unless it’s praising God at least I think. Like it’s not for commercial purposes because I know all those cultures have song and dance.

2 things gonna happen from this thread for me:

I'll listen to a Griselda project

I'll listen to a Budden project

what does benny the butcher hafta do with this outside of following the person that said this?

He liked the post

giphy.gif

Back