Welcome To aBlackWeb

OUT NOW Jay Electronica "A Written Testimony" Album Thread

Rate "A Written Testimony"

• Total voters
I like to laugh at his empty threats at Ye and his pitiful rebuttals at Push

Anyone know what mix tape had this cut on it?

Or this one...

Man, I'll have to get back to you on this one. I DL'ed 3 different Jay Electronica projects, one of which is the 1st YouTube video, and it is call "What The F**K Is A Jay Electronica?" When I get myself a Laptop, I'll slide you some tracks, if you're still intetested.

LMAO. Nas is the GOAT. Look at this video. I clip the video. Nas was hilarious. Nas keep calling him Paul and the jew saying his name is Peter.

I remember this Interview. The DJ in the background is Trackstar.

I finally got to the last podcast where Joe spoke on the album. It’s a shame you can’t have an opinion without people saying you hating. It’s gotten to the point where even Joe says he’s hating to get ahead of the people he knows are going to say just that.

Mal wanted to like it so bad, lol. His entire take on the album was just him trying to convince himself to like it.

Can’t even agree with someone’s opinion without it being an echo chamber and confirmation bias, lol.

I’m talking about podcasts and people in general

Agree with joe and them as much as you like. As I’ve said, Joe is easily one of my favorite rappers of all time.

In the Malcolm X movie, book, speeeches by NOI leaders and the documentary recently you see how well trained the Fruit of Islam was in regards to protection and how the entire organization if you will was self sufficient: businesses, food, support, etc blacks flocked to that. I totally understand where you're coming from I guess I'm just looking at it in the aspect that people really believed and that's really what dictates a religion micro
Facts. I think the discrepancies between the original Judeo-Christian ideologies and the other groups is for one, the spreading of Judaism, Christianity and Islam is deep rooted in centuries of bloodshed. The NOI has nothing on the Vatican... aside from the influence of X, Farrakhan and them they can only go so far. The Vatican, Israel and the Middle East are already protected by various militaries. All the NOI, FOI, 5%ers, etc. have is the Black community and MAYBE some media leverage. Like you said, it's on what the ppl believe... and those beliefs kept them running for this long. It's a lot easier to follow a faith with a guaranteed backing than one where you have to put in your own work to match up to its principles.

On to the album, that's my issue with Jay E's input on this. The album is mainly about a spiritual journey, going from relative dormancy to awakening. Jay E. has the knowledge within himself to add on to that theme lyrically. There's no reason that he should sound less inspired than 24 year removed billionaire about spiritual awakening. Take for example Murder To Excellence. When Kanye talks about the murders in Chicago, it hits so much more at home not just because of the current state of that time, but Kanye himself is from Chicago. Jay could only reach so far from his perspective. Bed Stuy is crazy, but it's not Chicago. I don't get the same sentiment from Jay E. this album. It was more so fill in the blanks with biblical references and vague pieces of his own life mixed with some metaphors. The fact that we're just supposed to listen and read between the lines takes away from the true jewels that we need in these trying times.

One thing I noticed in hip hop is that despite the many Islamic faith leaning rappers in the game, there isn't too many that truly speak from that experience. There isn't a Jesus Walks for Muslims... and that's inexcusable in a world where Malcolm X is an icon. I personally think that's due to those groups' lack of real contact with the community. It's hard to speak from that faith when the only thing you can connect to it is quotes from Farrakhan and Supreme Mathematics. Beans and Free were the only true practicing Muslims in the mainstream that I can recall (they're Sunni I believe) and as far as 5%ers, Lord Jamar's 5% Album is a really good album speaking on that faith.

Facts. I think the discrepancies between the original Judeo-Christian ideologies and the other groups is for one, the spreading of Judaism, Christianity and Islam is deep rooted in centuries of bloodshed. The NOI has nothing on the Vatican... aside from the influence of X, Farrakhan and them they can only go so far. The Vatican, Israel and the Middle East are already protected by various militaries. All the NOI, FOI, 5%ers, etc. have is the Black community and MAYBE some media leverage. Like you said, it's on what the ppl believe... and those beliefs kept them running for this long. It's a lot easier to follow a faith with a guaranteed backing than one where you have to put in your own work to match up to its principles.

On to the album, that's my issue with Jay E's input on this. The album is mainly about a spiritual journey, going from relative dormancy to awakening. Jay E. has the knowledge within himself to add on to that theme lyrically. There's no reason that he should sound less inspired than 24 year removed billionaire about spiritual awakening. Take for example Murder To Excellence. When Kanye talks about the murders in Chicago, it hits so much more at home not just because of the current state of that time, but Kanye himself is from Chicago. Jay could only reach so far from his perspective. Bed Stuy is crazy, but it's not Chicago. I don't get the same sentiment from Jay E. this album. It was more so fill in the blanks with biblical references and vague pieces of his own life mixed with some metaphors. The fact that we're just supposed to listen and read between the lines takes away from the true jewels that we need in these trying times.

One thing I noticed in hip hop is that despite the many Islamic faith leaning rappers in the game, there isn't too many that truly speak from that experience. There isn't a Jesus Walks for Muslims... and that's inexcusable in a world where Malcolm X is an icon. I personally think that's due to those groups' lack of real contact with the community. It's hard to speak from that faith when the only thing you can connect to it is quotes from Farrakhan and Supreme Mathematics. Beans and Free were the only true practicing Muslims in the mainstream that I can recall (they're Sunni I believe) and as far as 5%ers, Lord Jamar's 5% Album is a really good album speaking on that faith.
The Wu always laid down info, but your thoughts are definitely taken in and has given me something to think about.

As far as Jay Elect on this I dig the album, but I did have a higher expectation. I guess the problem for me is I really don't know what I was expecting... outside of wanting the album longer and maybe a theme so that I can kind of follow his thoughts and references in a direction

Back