Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll Is UGK A Top 5 Rap Group?

Is UGK A Top 5 Rap Group/Duo?

• Total voters
Who said anything from about DC vs MD vs VA.

Where your father was raised and your family live ain't where you live. You said yourself you from Richmond Highway. Which is in VA correct? Kind of close to DC but still VA. So in other words you don't have a DC address and didn't grow up in DC. Which means what you experience about DC and ain't the same as somebody who lived in the city themselves.

Speaking those facts ain't attacking your character or down talking you.
This is true

I don’t know how many posters on here actually old enough to remember tha 90’s musically like that but I’m sorry to tell y’all that UGK was always “regional” ...like not even southern but like regional regional...I’ve been in tha south for 30 yrs now and when no limit, 8 Ball n MJG and groups like that were “poppin” wasn’t nobody not from Texas, Louisiana and tha surroundings states talkin’ about UGK...I went to damn near every bike week, Daytona and Freaknik and nobody was listening to UGK...I don’t hate them but they didn’t gain any popularity until Big Pimpin’...no diss just facts...and while it’s common knowledge that Ridin’ Dirty is a regional classic, not many people outside of Texas and those surrounding states talked about them like that back then...y’all can claim it’s east coast hate but I’m dead ass serious when I tell you that UGK was NOT poppin’ like that anywhere else but regionally in tha 90’s and most of their fame now comes from nostalgia

Correction

they were Underground (Kingz), not regional

when you're doin songs w/ E-40 & Too $hort & got fans in the Bay you've surpassed region

yes, Big Pimpin gave them widespread national notoriety

but once again, popularity & sales are null/void on quality of music

I always thought you niggas was a united front, I remember niggas wouldn't even say they were from Virginia but say that DMV shit

It ain't a beef and that DMV shit is basically some new shit for real. Actually kind of old now but back in the day folks wasn't on that DMV shit. You was either from DC, MD or VA specifically.

The issue is the va I’m at is nothing like the va most people know. This is the metropolitan dc area. It is what it is tho.

Don’t do this bruh...I’m not watching that clip but I see Rick Ross in tha thumb nail...at no point did I say they were complete unknowns to industry people and southern states in close proximity to Texas...ofc Florida, Alabama, Ga, Mississippi etc people knew who they were but not like they new other southern groups at that time...it just is what it is bruh...

The whole South was fucking with UGK during that time. If you would have watched the video it would have been clear how popular and influential they were in the South.

Ok bruh...so Hard Knock Life wasn’t played on tha radio hunh?? Lol...Jay didn’t do a history making nationwide tour of only east coast rappers that sold out EVERY stadium they played around this time hunh?!

Lmao...y’all got it

:hahaha:
you being selective right now while completely ignoring what i've written

so i'ma do it one more time

i said outside of singles....SINGLES...wasnt hard knock life a single??

but let me backtrack on that post b/c i know how niggas are...so let me save you the trouble. Outside of singles like HKL, we wasnt fucking with Jay like that. When he did big pimping with UGK, it expanded his audience here, which is why he jumped on the Ha remix as well

Hov knew what he was doing when he reached out to UGK. He knew the South would fuck with him with a cosign from UGK. Shit worked out good for all parties involved.

you being selective right now while completely ignoring what i've written

so i'ma do it one more time

i said outside of singles....SINGLES...wasnt hard knock life a single??

but let me backtrack on that post b/c i know how niggas are...so let me save you the trouble. Outside of singles like HKL, we wasnt fucking with Jay like that. When he did big pimping with UGK, it expanded his audience here, which is why he jumped on the Ha remix as well

Bruh...tha radio didn’t play songs that weren’t singles in tha 90’s!! So what are you sayin’?! Tha radio def played Hard Knock Life but here in SC wasn’t nobody playing any UGK singles at all...Jay been known wether you liked him or not...niggaz flat out didn’t know who UGK was...even in tha south

it's the same way in bmore.... when you actually live in bmore, you consider everything outside the city limits "the county"

cuz no lie the second you cross that county line, especially back in the 80's and 90's u saw an immediate difference in everything.

they got out of school when we had to go. all the "best' places to go was out in the country... best malls, best movies, best everything......so to us in the city, the kids in the county had it better...

then when niggaz get highschool age, and start venturing out.....county kids be snobby as shit towards kids in the city. girls act like you stink if u from the city. county niggaz used to stay playing city chicks like them dumb and not shit cuz they ride the bus, and the county niggaz drive...

then when u get college age.....nothing was more infuriating than county kids claiming they was from bmore, cuz no one heard of their county city....

we was young then, but that shit would make u legit mad....

here we were all our life low key mad cuz county kids had everything, then when they get outta state, they wanna claim the city?

i imagine it's the same for DC and PG county, cuz they the only ppl i see get as mad about the same shit

The whole South was fucking with UGK during that time. If you would have watched the video it would have been clear how popular and influential they were in the South.

You’re buggin’ fam lol

I’ve been in tha south longer than most niggaz from tha south been alive and I’m telling you and everybody else in this site that UGK was regional af all thru tha 90’s...point blank period...no hate just straight facts

The issue is the va I’m at is nothing like the va most people know. This is the metropolitan dc area. It is what it is tho.

I re-read what I wrote. I can see how you took that as me trying to play you. When I actually wasn't just saying outside of the age difference your experience of the city is completely different than mine is all I was really getting at.

aye fuck all that shit yall talkin bout

can someone post gunit best song?

admittedly I've never listened to a whole album

can those who say gunit is better, could you please come to a consensus on the best song from any of their albums? tryna see sumn

You’re buggin’ fam lol

I’ve been in tha south longer than most niggaz from tha south been alive and I’m telling you and everybody else in this site that UGK was regional af all thru tha 90’s...point blank period...no hate just straight facts

Lol aight I'll take ya word for it then.

I’m about 2seconds away from calling for an age check in this bitch lol...cuz besides @Goldie who already admitted he was mad young at tha time y’all niggaz who was 9, 10, 11 etc in tha 90’s around this time not about to tell me who was in his early 20’s at tha time what was poppin’!! Not happening...

I got Source magazines older than some’a yall niggaz lol

Nah Not @ all , Not even Close , I Mean a visual On MTV/BET , The WORLD finally seeing what you look & Sound Like

Video looped Over & Over again

Ok so I guess you can say in your opinion Big Pimpin was their first mainstream look and I would actually agree with that. Even though some people did know about them in the 90's who wasn't from their region Big Pimpin did put them on a nation wide map.

Shit Bun-B actually spoke on doing the song with Jay-Z giving them commercial exposure and that being the reason Pimp C didn't want to do the song cause he thought it would make them look corny.

Back