Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Is Marvel's Black Panther movie really a "special moment" for Black America??

You should not be offended because you know it is coming from someone who is Rastafari and studied Garvey. So naturally my mindset will always have an Africa focus. But Chinese, Japanese, Italians and plenty of other people don’t disassociate themselves from there ancestors as quickly as some black people do. Why is it somehow better to be a part of a country that enslaved your ancestors than a country that your ancestors came from. I am not a let’s all go back to Africa physically because that is not realistic but I am a let’s look to Africa mentally to understand that we were not all slaves the way this country has taught us. We will never have our own in America so why not focus on something that was/ is ours. Maybe you don’t need it but self esteem changes when you realize what you truely are instead of what they are trying to feed you. Now I know it is only a movie but for some it is the first time they will will see a fictional super hero that looks like them. You can’t tell me that is not good for the black youth.
i disagree.

if one child is kidnapped from his home at a young age, and he his beaten and starved and treated horribly for years. he one day becomes free, but he has very little and deals with adversity his entire life. however he survived. He may not be a great as he would like to be, but he has accomplished a lot for himself, and it has defined the man he is today.

one day he is reunited with his brother who was never kidnapped. the one who stayed home. He remembered his brother and even recognized him. the embraced eachother and began to treat eachother as family again.

Many year go by, but every now n then the painful conversation about the younger brother's kidnapping comes up....and there are many truths abotu that conversation that many family members don't like to say outloud, and far too often the whole story never comes out.

but let me say this. If i say being kidnapped and having to fight and scratch ym way up to relevance shaped me as a person, and ou trying to make me forget all that and look through some photo albums of shit that ain't go noting to do with happened to me... it's only so much i can deal with that shit before i say we ain't the same....

he have our story, yall have yalls, btu don't try to pretend my story ain't shit, or it's the same as yours

at the end of the day the rest of the world simply does not respect black americans... and most black americans don't respect themselves....

i feel as though i do, and i'm constantly attacked because of it

i wonder if stan lee gets caught fondling an intern and gets accused of sexual abuse... will niggaz boycott black panther

Yes. It is. Because the imagery is important. Because most kids and some of you adults need black super heroes. Because if one person sees this and it changes their perception of themselves than it was worth it. Greeks watch 300, Troy and Thor and get some enjoyment that they are all strong why is it wrong for us to watch this and feel better about ourselves( collectively).

If you think that's a celebration then we're worse off than I thought. There's nothing to celebrate about a black cartoon created by a white dude who will be making billions off of our plight. THere's nothing to celebrate about that. Niggas have gotten so comfortable with getting crumbs that now niggas throwin a celebration for it? It's pretty sad.

i disagree.

if one child is kidnapped from his home at a young age, and he his beaten and starved and treated horribly for years. he one day becomes free, but he has very little and deals with adversity his entire life. however he survived. He may not be a great as he would like to be, but he has accomplished a lot for himself, and it has defined the man he is today.

one day he is reunited with his brother who was never kidnapped. the one who stayed home. He remembered his brother and even recognized him. the embraced eachother and began to treat eachother as family again.

Many year go by, but every now n then the painful conversation about the younger brother's kidnapping comes up....and there are many truths abotu that conversation that many family members don't like to say outloud, and far too often the whole story never comes out.

but let me say this. If i say being kidnapped and having to fight and scratch ym way up to relevance shaped me as a person, and ou trying to make me forget all that and look through some photo albums of shit that ain't go noting to do with happened to me... it's only so much i can deal with that shit before i say we ain't the same....

he have our story, yall have yalls, btu don't try to pretend my story ain't shit, or it's the same as yours

at the end of the day the rest of the world simply does not respect black americans... and most black americans don't respect themselves....

i feel as though i do, and i'm constantly attacked because of it
But could it be because America doesn’t respect Black Americans? Everything starts at home. So why should I respect you if your own home doesn’t. America has told the story of Black Americans so the world only learned that from the country you claim.

exactly....
like right now.. they judging

"them damn black americans... cultural narcissist they are"

yess...yess we are... we have an identity... u recognize it in your treatment of us, but when we try to identify with it, we're ridiculed for it.....

we are not all the same... different struggles produce different people....

yall struggle made yall, our struggle made us....

this ain't like trading cards, we can't share shit we ain't go thru
nah you misread. I criticize all cultural narcissists, I just generally expect black people to know better. aka. it's sad when black people are cultural narcissists because that's generally the arena of people who don't have history or origins in more than one place.

you are free to self define however you wanna, nobody gaf, but that doesn't change the fact that Black History Month is Black History Month. Not Black American History exclusively. You're making a chapter into the whole book which is short sighted and narcissistic in a way that isn't even uplifting or beneficial.

If you think that's a celebration then we're worse off than I thought. There's nothing to celebrate about a black cartoon created by a white dude who will be making billions off of plight. THere's nothing to celebrate about that. Niggas have gotten so comfortable with getting crumbs that now niggas throwin a celebration for it? It's pretty sad.
like it's prolly gonna be a dope movie, but it's being placed in too high of significance for black people....

the shit ain't that big of a deal, and the fact they're making such a big deal of it screams to the identity crisis i speak of....

we're so in dire need of something to define us we'll embrace a movie about a fictional african county during......during...black history month...a literal fucking celebration of our identity....

like the shit funny to me...i know i seem like the crazy person in this thread.... but even that's funny to me.....

fucking twilight zone...

If you think that's a celebration then we're worse off than I thought. There's nothing to celebrate about a black cartoon created by a white dude who will be making billions off of plight. THere's nothing to celebrate about that. Niggas have gotten so comfortable with getting crumbs that now niggas throwin a celebration for it? It's pretty sad.
You are reading to deep into the negative and we are worse off than you think. There are so little positive images that we jump on anything that makes us feel good and that is OK. Positive imagery for a person with low self esteem is everything.

Yes. It is. Because the imagery is important. Because most kids and some of you adults need black super heroes. Because if one person sees this and it changes their perception of themselves than it was worth it. Greeks watch 300, Troy and Thor and get some enjoyment that they are all strong why is it wrong for us to watch this and feel better about ourselves( collectively).

We agree!

And 80% of 300 was fictional but you didn't hear them complaining. The history channel ran specials about it.

You want to hear something funny. I read a editorial about Jews and the holocaust and they said people that live in other countries need movies and shows that remind them of the holocaust. It gives them pride and understanding. Jews in Israel don't. Why? Because they are surrounded by Jews and that is all they see in Jews. Everybody is Jewish or looks like them. What do they need a movie and TV show for? They see it everyday. They want to see something new.

But could it be because America doesn’t respect Black Americans? Everything starts at home. So why should I respect you if your own home doesn’t. America has told the story of Black Americans so the world only learned that from the country you claim.
so you don't respect us?

like it's prolly gonna be a dope movie, but it's being placed in too high of significance for black people....

the shit ain't that big of a deal, and the fact they're making such a big deal of it screams to the identity crisis i speak of....

we're so in dire need of something to define us we'll embrace a movie about a fictional african county during......during...black history month...a literal fucking celebration of our identity....

like the shit funny to me...i know i seem like the crazy person in this thread.... but even that's funny to me.....

fucking twilight zone...

It's sad and funny at the same time and niggas don't even see it. Niggas out here celebrating getting crumbs.

nah you misread. I criticize all cultural narcissists, I just generally expect black people to know better. aka. it's sad when black people are cultural narcissists because that's generally the arena of people who don't have history or origins in more than one place.

you are free to self define however you wanna, nobody gaf, but that doesn't change the fact that Black History Month is Black History Month. Not Black American History exclusively. You're making a chapter into the whole book which is short sighted and narcissistic in a way that isn't even uplifting or beneficial.
i feel it is beneficial to black america to only talk about and celebrate the accomplishments of black americans during black history month.

if that makes me a cultural narcissist then i will embrace that flaw as part of my personality as a black american. the rest of the world doesn't respect us anyway, so we're entitled to a few flaws.

@King Du you like comic books and super heroes but you are against this? Why? You championed The Flash if I remember correctly. As a comic book fan you are not excited about this?

You are reading to deep into the negative and we are worse off than you think. There are so little positive images that we jump on anything that makes us feel good and that is OK. Positive imagery for a person with low self esteem is everything.

That doesn't make it a celebration. That doesn't mean we should all group together to show hollywood how powerful our black dollar is aka give them all our damn money to show them something they've been known and taking advantage of for decades, that's a ridiculous mind state and logic.

It's not a celebration until we have our own.

There are so little positive images that we jump on anything that makes us feel good and that is OK.
NO THERE ARE NOT
NO THERE ARE NOT THIS IS A LIE
A DIRTY DIRTY LIE

black americans have shitloads of positive images......we have tons of things to celebrate.....that's the whole irony of this conversation....during the 1 time of the year..when we normally truly embrace those positive images.......they drop

"the blackest movie in hollywood" about some make believe motherfuckers....

and niggaz eating it up.....

that's something worth being talked about

That doesn't make it a celebration. That doesn't mean we should all group together to show hollywood how powerful our black dollar is aka give them all our damn money to show them something they've been known and taking advantage of for decades, that's a ridiculous mind state and logic.

It's not a celebration until we have our own.
I agree but we couldn’t have done this on our own. We didnt own the rights. Look at what they did to Wesley Snipes and he owned Blade.

Real quick. there is a film called birth of a nation .. No not that one..

The film that was screened in the white house a fictional racist movie about savage black people with every nasty twisted imagination of the black American negro..this film was highly influential.. and just hearing about what was in the film was enough to help mass produce the perception of black people and the stereotypes that it helped spread..

Films, music,media have power

Back