Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Is Marvel's Black Panther movie really a "special moment" for Black America??

There is alot of Stretch Armstrong reaching going on in this thread but at least it is a convo we are having. I see both sides but ultimately Black Panther is good for the culture because now we hit people real history of African nations that were the richest in history. African nations that had great scholars and explorers.

Time for black history month to stop just teaching Egypt and slave trade. Use Wakanda as a starting off point to teach kids about Mansa Musa...................Oh shit! I just got an idea.

no it isn't. do you know how often films about Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, or the transatlantic slave trade are shown all over the world? Folks don't say American History is overshadowing their black history.

one film aint overshadowing shit. you are reaching fam.
the black american struggle is a unique struggle that should not be compared to, or aligned with no other struggle in the world, because the black american is suffering an identity crisis.....one that i strongly believe can be remedied by embracing our accomplishments and contributions in this country and tot he world. our impact, our music, our arts, our science should be celebrated as a people. and individual people with an individual struggle and story about our progress....

that is how i feel about black america....

but i also feel it's constantly attacked and many black people choose not to identify with black america at all....

how can you call my post a reach when you IMMEDIATELY....tried to relate my argument by pointing out how the rest of the world feels...

i don't care about the rest of the world. my argument is not for the rest of the world... my argument is for black americans.... black american history is about black americans......

and my main issue will continue to be we are under an identity crisis, bcuz we're so divided on who we really are.....

and as back to this movie.... if everything else wasn't enough now we gotta fictional african nation to further distract niggaz from learning about their people during the month when it normally is the most celebrated....

Bretheren why are you so caught up in being American
because i'm an american. i have always lived in america. i have always had an american's experience. this is who i am, this has shaped who i am. if i refuse to embrace who i am for ANY OTHER culture, i lose track of my own identity.....and everything you typed after this is directly trying to get me to do so.....
You do realize all 2 of the three are descendants of African slaves and one is a direct descendant of an African man. Black Culture is African Culture. Why are we the only ones that try to separate our culture based on geography and how far we are removed from our homeland. This country tells you that you are not an American so why not be proud of your actual culture
"riight"

niggaz will proudl claim wakanda over south side chicago for the next few months, and be dead serious.....
You don't think you're being at least a bit exaggerating?

And are you willing to come back to this thread with proof that any of that actually happened?

And are you willing to come back here and admit you were wrong if none of that happens?

because i'm an american. i have always lived in america. i have always had an american's experience. this is who i am, this has shaped who i am. if i refuse to embrace who i am for ANY OTHER culture, i lose track of my own identity.....and everything you typed after this is directly trying to get me to do so.....

"riight"
If you think you are American than you have already lost track of your identity. America doesn’t want you to be American that is why when you fill out a form they put African American. You are a descendant of Africans. I don’t care where you were born and grown. You dishonor your ancestors by thinking anything else. What is your identity as an American? Your ancestors where more than slaves that America has taught you that they were.

lol I just read what the thread title is, that was never the debate fam @AP21 . It's definitely not BAD for black america, but it's not a "special moment" either.

lol

i was just trying to make the thread

i'll edit the title

the black american struggle is a unique struggle that should not be compared to, or aligned with no other struggle in the world, because the black american is suffering an identity crisis.....one that i strongly believe can be remedied by embracing our accomplishments and contributions in this country and tot he world. our impact, our music, our arts, our science should be celebrated as a people. and individual people with an individual struggle and story about our progress....

but i also feel it's constantly attacked and many black people choose not to identify with black america at all....

how can you call my post a reach when you IMMEDIATELY....tried to relate my argument by pointing out how the rest of the world feels...

i don't care about the rest of the world. my argument is not for the rest of the world... my argument is for black americans.... black american history is about black americans......

and my main issue will continue to be we are under an identity crisis, bcuz we're so divided on who we really are.....

and as back to this movie.... if everything else wasn't enough now we gotta fictional african nation to further distract niggaz from learning about their people during the month when it normally is the most celebrated....

I mean this movie shouldnt change what a nigga should have been doing anyway this is only a net positive if this movie some how gets in your way or is a wake up call then niggas been fucking up

i always say after the black power movement in the 70's wit the influx of drugs/the war had a great affect in damaging the community on a smaller level the family... there has a been a huge disconnect from the youth to our predecessors... before we use to aspire to be black and proud now cats just wanna be niggas...(thats loaded, but i really dont feel like typing 3 more paragraphs) basically its a free for all. Again the failing is on niggas for allowing their pride to be crushed and replaced by a false sense of being.

You don't think you're being at least a bit exaggerating?

And are you willing to come back to this thread with proof that any of that actually happened?

And are you willing to come back here and admit you were wrong if none of that happens?
lol, i'm not wasting my time googling and posting pictures of every example of people littering the internet with their over reaction to this movie....

btu yea feel free to investigate my claims.. it shouldn't take u long

You do realize people can go see this movie AND learn more about their history as well right? It's not an either/or situation...

@King Du I hate to say it brother but black america will never think the same or have the same view on anything. Damn sure will never identify as the same. Even people with history in America sometimes choose to not identify with it. Look at the southern white people for example. Most can trace their ancestry to Europe but if you ask most of them. Fuck Europe! I am an American.

Then you have alot of black Americans that will get mad at you for calling them Black. Then some that get mad when you call them African american. "I aint from Africa!"

We have never had the same identity, It has always been a chosen few that has fought the battle while the rest watched. It will always be that way. The only identity crisis is the identity of self.

If you think you are American than you have already lost track of your identity. America doesn’t want you to be American that is why when you fill out a form they put African American. You are a descendant of Africans. I don’t care where you were born and grown. You dishonor your ancestors by thinking anything else. What is your identity as an American? Your ancestors where more than slaves that America has taught you that they were.
like this whole post is shitting on black people...

i can 100% guarantee you i would be offended by this if it was said to me in person

this is a disgusting point of view, and 100% confirms my suspicions on how i feel the rest of the world views black people...

thank you again for the confirmation

I mean this movie shouldnt change what a nigga should have been doing anyway this is only a net positive if this movie some how gets in your way or is a wake up call then niggas been fucking up

i always say after the black power movement in the 70's wit the influx of drugs/the war had a great affect in damaging the community on a smaller level the family... there has a been a huge disconnect from the youth to our predecessors... before we use to aspire to be black and proud now cats just wanna be niggas...(thats loaded, but i really dont feel like typing 3 more paragraphs) basically its a free for all. Again the failing is on niggas for allowing their pride to be crushed and replaced by a false sense of being.
there is plenty fault to go around, but at this point it's more of an autopsy....

ain't shit that can happen to save black folk.. just ask around

lol Du, I so often agree with you or think your posts are still great even when I don't

but you ignorant af on this. it's aight tho, because no one is perfect and you are still top notch

Marvel is controlled by whites. We saw what happened the last time a black film maker tried to go independent and create something for us (Birth of A Nation)
what does this have to do with Black Panther tho?

is not based on a true story or anything like that. Its about bringing a fictional black comic character to the big screen. That same fictional black character is from the RICHEST nation in that comic universe. Think about that for a sec. You know how many characters are in the Marvel universe? And the country that has the most money, the most technologically advanced, is the one where blacks live.

We're essentially saying the same thing, I'm not saying Black Panther is bad for blacks, I'm just saying it's not a special moment where we all need to group together and go out to support, cuz all that money is going straight to a white nigga who prolly rapes.

You do realize people can go see this movie AND learn more about their history as well right? It's not an either/or situation...
yea, many people can.

however many impressionable people tend to only be exposed to what's trending... and the problem with those people is that they're often more louder than most... so ultimately the message that's gonna be more widely spread this february amongst the black community.....will be.....
Black-Panther-600x338.jpg

Back