Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Is Marvel's Black Panther movie really a "special moment" for Black America??

thats not happening at all

all people are saying is that there are more images of black people than those ones depicted in those movies

so you have an issue with Disney's Frog Princess b/c it portrays a black princess?

Something positive for lil black girls to feel like they can look up to?
i had no problem with that movie, this movie, any moive, or the images it portrays... my issues is peoples reactions to them... and has always been that... stop trying to change my argument.....

i had no problem with that movie, this movie, any moive, or the images it portrays... my issues is peoples reactions to them... and has always been that... stop trying to change my argument.....
so how should people react then according to Du?

lets start there

I'm not sure what's even being argued here.

This is a big budget, high profile movie that's mostly black in every way. In the movie, an African city is being portrayed as the most advanced nation in the world and the citizens of that country are among the most gifted. BP's sister is supposedly smarter than Tony Stark. Basically, this move is the antithesis to every negative trope, stereotype, and image that Hollywood has crafted relating to black people, and people are questioning it's relevance. I ain't saying you should think the movie is the end all or be all, but you'd have to be blind or stupid not to understand why some think it's important.

This is a big budget, high profile movie that's mostly black in every way. In the movie, an African city is being portrayed as the most advanced nation in the world and the citizens of that country are among the most gifted. BP's sister is supposedly smarter than Tony Stark. Basically, this move is the antithesis to every negative trope, stereotype, and image that Hollywood has crafted relating to black people, and people are questioning it's relevance. I ain't saying you should think the movie is the end all or be all, but you'd have to be blind or stupid not to understand why some think it's important.
agree 1000% fam, but...

according to Du, we should be reacting like this

Roller+coaster+poses+0007.jpg

so how should people react then according to Du?

lets start there

i don't like this condescending tone... bcuz my argument from the very jump was that we're overreacting to the images.....we're giving them too much significance, and we're letting them overshadow real accomplishments for fictional ones....and you rally standing there with your hands on your hips like

so how should people react..

lets me know you never were listening to any argument i made, yuo just assumed some shit and pressed imaginary points...

how should people react?

not over react.

that simple. been saying it from the jump...

BP seems like a good highly anticipated comic book movie....

but it's a fuckign comic bok movie.....nothing more....

boyz n the hood, new jack city, menace to society... they were good fuckign movies.... not the only images of blacks in today's media... we fucking applauded those movies for their grit... now we shitting on their images.... that's doing too much......placing too much significance in a movie....

the princess and the frog was a cool little movie.... not disney's best work, but not bad... it had a black princess....and she was cute and cool, and she owned her own diner... it was a cute movie......but no one is placing it on a pedestal as the crowning achievement of black people....

that's been my entire point from the jump.....niggaz making to big of a deal about a movie......so how you gonna ask me......after all that... how should people react?

Black panther is important to black America the same way having a black president was important to black America... Was it significantly beneficial to us? Meh... Not really... But the imagery is important for our youth to see so that when we tell them they can be anything in this world, they believe it. So there's some value.

Folks this thinking is one of many problems with black people.

I didnt finish Fires of Jubilee (may have to just start over from the beginning), but thats where Nate Parker said he based most of "BOAN" off of.

Assuming the part about the black boy ratting them out, thats the issue with blacks who have conditioned to protect their "massas". I thought the movie was pretty damn good all things considered

it's a comic book movie...

nigga gotta stop being so trend jumpy and over romanticizing everything......

it reeks of insecurity

it's a comic book movie...

nigga gotta stop being so trend jumpy and over romanticizing everything......

it reeks of insecurity

HOW??

b/c your timeline on facebook showed you this??

HOW??

b/c your timeline on facebook showed you this??
my facebook timeline???????

nigga yall niggaz confirming the shit right here in this thread by saying this is a special moment for black america... it's in the fucking thread title!!!!!

nigga yall niggaz confirming the shit right here in this thread by saying this is a special moment for black america... it's in the fucking thread title!!!!!

nah, lets stick to what you said

you said people on your fb timeline was trying to retrace their heritage to Wakanda

you said people on your fb timeline was saying they didnt even know what the movie was about, but are gonna go see it on opening day

sounds like to me, the people on your timeline ain't the brightest stars in the galaxy

nah, lets stick to what you said

you said people on your fb timeline was trying to retrace their heritage to Wakanda

you said people on your fb timeline was saying they didnt even know what the movie was about, but are gonna go see it on opening day

sounds like to me, the people on your timeline and the brightest stars in the galaxy
bruh, i also said, i wasn't gonna say shit about it till yall made a thread addressing the same shit,....

yea i brought it up that i see it on my facebook timeline.... but i was arguing with the niggaz int his thread who i feel are guilty of the same shit.....

you too smart not to see this, you just tit for tatting now... you don't even know what point u wanna prove....

just say one your ole catchphrases and gracefully bow out bruh...

Most of the people I see saying that its a "special moment for black america" are people trying to downplay its significance. I'm not saying that shit at least. I'm just saying that its a big divergence from what we usually see coming out of Hollywood about black people and to some extent, that is important given how much impact Hollywood and the media in general have on this country's culture. This movie won't make life awesome for blacks in this country, but I don't believe anyone thinks that.

Most of the people I see saying that its a "special moment for black america" are people trying to downplay its significance. I'm not saying that shit at least. I'm just saying that its a big divergence from what we usually see coming out of Hollywood about black people and to some extent, that is important given how much impact Hollywood and the media in general have on this country's culture. This movie won't make life awesome for blacks in this country, but I don't believe anyone thinks that.
it's impossible to catch up now, niggaz done changed their points so much the actual title of the thread changed in mid argument .....they'll prolly change it again in a few pages

bruh, i also said, i wasn't gonna say shit about it till yall made a thread addressing the same shit,....

yea i brought it up that i see it on my facebook timeline.... but i was arguing with the niggaz int his thread who i feel are guilty of the same shit.....

you too smart not to see this, you just tit for tatting now... you don't even know what point u wanna prove....

just say one your ole catchphrases and gracefully bow out bruh...

nah, i got time today

its like you are mad that we are happy to see a film (albeit fictional) that paints blacks in a positive light

I understand goldie's pov, even though i disagree with him on a few things, but i still dont get why this triggers you so much

wasnt your son BP for halloween? I honestly dont remember and dont say this with malicious intent, but im just trying to understand

Because black people love the idea of symbolism. That’s like jews celebrating the building of a Jewish museum in the heart of the holocaust. How is Obama becoming president meaningful for black people?
it is meaningful but the warning was to not over do it... niggaz love over doing shit....

that was the whole ooint of the boondoks skit,, niggaz dickriding for obama...

yea it's cool we gotta black president, but ease up a bit the nigga still a usa president....

same shit with this movie..

yea it's cool we have a all black cast... but ease the fuck up a little, it's still just a marvel comic book movie

Back