Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Is Marvel's Black Panther movie really a "special moment" for Black America??

Because black people love the idea of symbolism. That’s like jews celebrating the building of a Jewish museum in the heart of the holocaust. How is Obama becoming president meaningful for black people?
i think the point she was trying to make, and @Whispering Eye , please correct me if I'm wrong, but regardless of what side of Obama's policies you were on, this was the first time in history that a man of color was the commander in chief

when we were younger, people kept telling you "you could be anything you wanted to be...doctor, lawyer, maybe even the president"...well, Obama, regardless of how he got there, he showed black kids, that it is possible

The point is that it’s just a movie and we shouldn’t make it out to be some significant thing in Black American history. But then again I understand the thinking because blacks love symbolism.

it's impossible to catch up now, niggaz done changed their points so much the actual title of the thread changed in mid argument .....they'll prolly change it again in a few pages

lol I just joined this discussion in like the past 10 posts, so I'm sure I'm missing some of the details being debated.

The point is that it’s just a movie and we shouldn’t make it out to be some significant thing in Black American history. But then again I understand the thinking because blacks love symbolism.

so when should blacks deem something significant?

When diddy and a financial group acquire the panthers? or when they start their own league?

When BP has a 98% black cast? or when blacks make their OWN black comic characters and those images get brought to the big screen?

i think the point she was trying to make, and @Whispering Eye , please correct me if I'm wrong, but regardless of what side of Obama's policies you were on, this was the first time in history that a man of color was the commander in chief

when we were younger, people kept telling you "you could be anything you wanted to be...doctor, lawyer, maybe even the president"...well, Obama, regardless of how he got there, he showed black kids, that it is possible
I get the whole “be whatever you want to be” argument. But once again we need to get off the idea of symbolism but symbolism hasn’t gotten black people nowhere collectively.

I get the whole “be whatever you want to be” argument. But once again we need to get off the idea of symbolism but symbolism hasn’t gotten black people nowhere collectively.

then this is an entirely different discussion fam with emphasis on collectively

nah, i got time today

its like you are mad that we are happy to see a film (albeit fictional) that paints blacks in a positive light

I understand goldie's pov, even though i disagree with him on a few things, but i still dont get why this triggers you so much

wasnt your son BP for halloween? I honestly dont remember and dont say this with malicious intent, but im just trying to understand
you can have all the time in the world

and still be wrong....

its like you are mad that we are happy to see a film (albeit fictional) that paints blacks in a positive light

THIS
IS
NOT
TRUE
STOP
SAYING
IT

stop suggesting it, stop building your arguments around it, just stop it, i have said too many times to keep repeating myself... my problem is not the movie or the images.....it's people's overreaction to them...

i said it reeks of insecurity... how trendy we are, and overall our lack of identity.....

my disgust is not with the movie itself, i plan on watching and liking the movie.....my issue is an overall issue i have with black people and their lack of identity....and this movie just happens to be the topic of discussion simply because black folk are once again over doing it....

they're actively shitting on images that we once considered classic works to exchange it for a fictional characterization....during black history month....

the shit is ironic to me and again just points to our identity crisis as a people.....\

that's what my argument has ALWAYS been about...

but for whatever reason you keep trying to make it seem like i'm mad that people want to see african images.....

naw nigga, thats cool... but stop making the shit bigger than it really is... it's a comic book movie.....let's stay grounded.....for once....

it is meaningful but the warning was to not over do it... niggaz love over doing shit....

that was the whole ooint of the boondoks skit,, niggaz dickriding for obama...

yea it's cool we gotta black president, but ease up a bit the nigga still a usa president....

same shit with this movie..

yea it's cool we have a all black cast... but ease the fuck up a little, it's still just a marvel comic book movie
His presidency has come and gone and are black people any more better off today? I don’t believe in symbolism I believe in tangibles.

dont even think about it

giphy.gif

When diddy and a financial group acquire the panthers? or when they start their own league?

When BP has a 98% black cast? or when blacks make their OWN black comic characters and those images get brought to the big screen?
Y’all acting like this is the first black comic book movie lol. Significance is when the situation of blacks truly change for the better with something tangible to show for it. Not a black man becoming president that did nothing for black people, or a comic book movie.

With this logic your traditions started when we were brought here. Instead of the ones that started over 2000 years ago.

Im not denying any pre slave society or ancestry. But i dont need to deny my history here either. I wouldnt tell black people in place like the UK or Caribbean to deny their history. I can learn an embrace African history as a part of me if its from the US, Islands, or Africa.

Ain't nothing wrong with shit like that. It just seems like the only story that black women have to tell be it through movies or music is about how bad black men are. Black men have bad experiences by black women too, but we can talk about other parts of life than experiences with fucked up females.

Rap music and treatment of black women

you can have all the time in the world

and still be wrong....

THIS
IS
NOT
TRUE
STOP
SAYING
IT

stop suggesting it, stop building your arguments around it, just stop it, i have said too many times to keep repeating myself... my problem is not the movie or the images.....it's people's overreaction to them...

i said it reeks of insecurity... how trendy we are, and overall our lack of identity.....

my disgust is not with the movie itself, i plan on watching and liking the movie.....my issue is an overall issue i have with black people and their lack of identity....and this movie just happens to be the topic of discussion simply because black folk are once again over doing it....

they're actively shitting on images that we once considered classic works to exchange it for a fictional characterization....during black history month....

the shit is ironic to me and again just points to our identity crisis as a people.....\

that's what my argument has ALWAYS been about...

but for whatever reason you keep trying to make it seem like i'm mad that people want to see african images.....

naw nigga, thats cool... but stop making the shit bigger than it really is... it's a comic book movie.....let's stay grounded.....for once....

brah...who keeps overdoing anything?

you gon have to quote some posts

no one with a rational mind is thinking about this movie as the first step in a migration back to Africa

so now we're back to square one...are you just as offended or whatever if it was released in March?

"they're actively shitting on images that we once considered classic works to exchange it for a fictional characterization....during black history month...."

You lost me here...what images are being shitted on?

this is why it gets frustrating....

i pointed out very early that the movie is coming out coincidentally in february a time of the year when black people collectively come together and celebrate black history...

yall rebuttal...

"i celebrate it every day"

so what the fuck... does that mean that we should not give a fuck about a whole month that's dedicated to putting out black positive images all over the world, and information... because you... just you.... celebrate it every day??/ there's a lotta people who don't... and i still feel bhm is important... but the irony is not lost on me that the most celebrated figure this february in the black community will be a fictional one....

the argument at is's essence is that we place more favor to a fictional history, than our actual history, bcu one looks better, and that is dangerous or harmful, especially when we over do it.....like we are with this movie

Y’all acting like this is the first black comic book movie lol. Significance is when the situation of blacks truly change for the better with something tangible to show for it. Not a black man becoming president that did nothing for black people, or a comic book movie.
is it the first comic movie to feature a black character? no

is it the first comic movie to feature a black character with a predominantly (by a significant margin) of black actors, extras, director, writers, etc...? yes

Back