Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Is Marvel's Black Panther movie really a "special moment" for Black America??

Why you @ me to a weak argument.

Luke cage was a everyday man doing shit in his black community. Completely different character and completely relatable... Same with black lightning....

BP is more popular than both....
nah b/c the same people that were hype af about Luke Cage being brought to the TV are the same ones hype af about BP. They binged Cage in a weekend like most people and had all kinds of discussion on social media. Think about that thread on the IC, and thats just a drop in the bucket of the people that supported.

And i honestly dont see why releasing this during BHM triggers you so much. I thought it was dope. There is nothing being taken away from "us" by doing this. The movie could've been released in January or March and the anticipation would still be there. I'm honestly confused about this particular thing that is triggering you.

Like others have said, if you need a month to celebrate the accomplishments of black folks, then shame on you. I dont wait until February to read about Nat Turner, or Huey P. Newton. Thats a personal journey of mine to always educate myself 365.

Interesting arguments..

First off, @King Du I've always been interested in Black American history (as an African) . I'm quite conversant with Black American men and women who fought for equality for their race in an extremely racist country .... I feel a connection with anyone on planet earth with my skin tone no matter nationality or creed.

Secondly I'm more of a DC fan than Marvel so I'm not really fiending for Black Panther like that although I will still see it

I saw The Birth Of A Nation last year and I liked it a lot... Made on meagre resources it was a well made film and a historic sexual assault allegation against Parker kind of hurt the film's performance commercially

So giving a young black person fresh out of school a audio job working at his studio=peddling drugs? That’s a false equivalency and how is TP’s portrayal of black men detrimental to the perception of black men? You still haven’t answered that question.

Go back and read what I wrote earlier a few times. Let it sink in, and come back.

You're also willfully ignoring the other examples I brought up. To make it more personal, back in 2002 my wife briefly worked as a loan officer for a nigga that was flippin mortgages out in Southfield. Dude's whole staff was Black; all good right? She quit because the dude was on some scam shit on damned near every loan he did. Nothing he did was legit, everything had a scam built in, and the nigga was pumping high interest sub-prime loans of all types that would make him more commission and targeting Black folks the whole time.

But... he hired nothing but Black folks, and that's all that matters, right?. Screw the people he fucked over with those bullshit loans.

Go back and read what I wrote earlier a few times. Let it sink in, and come back.

You're also willfully ignoring the other examples I brought up. To make it more personal, back in 2002 my wife briefly worked as a loan officer for a nigga that was flippin mortgages out in Southfield. Dude's whole staff was Black; all good right? She quit because the dude was on some scam shit on damned near every loan he did. Nothing he did was legit, everything had a scam built in, and the nigga was pumping high interest sub-prime loans of all types that would make him more commission and targeting Black folks the whole time.

But... he hired nothing but Black folks, and that's all that matters, right?. Screw the people he fucked over with those bullshit loans.
You posted a lot in here where would I need to begin? Why can’t you reiterate your point? And yes scamming black with subprime loans =hiring an actor to play a part. That definitely is the same thing.

You posted a lot in here where would I need to begin? Why can’t you reiterate your point? And yes scamming black with subprime loans =hiring an actor to play a part. That definitely is the same thing.

You're willfully ignoring everything. We can stop this back and forth now because you simply refuse to see the big picture.

Menace II Society did way more harm to the depiction of black men than any TP film, but its heralded as a "hood" classic.

Directed and written by 2 black biological brothers, but financed and distributed by who? Oh, a white company you say?

So giving a young black person fresh out of school a audio job working at his studio=peddling drugs? That’s a false equivalency and how is TP’s portrayal of black men detrimental to the perception of black men? You still haven’t answered that question.

They won't cuz then they'd have to shit on their favorite hood classic.

Can't say TP movies are detrimental to the black community and particularly black men and praise movies like New Jack City, Boyz N Tha Hood or Menace 2 Society at the same time.

Menace II Society did way more harm to the depiction of black men than any TP film, but its heralded as a "hood" classic.

Directed and written by 2 black biological brothers, but financed and distributed by who? Oh, a white company you say?

lol damn I missed your shit again.

nah b/c the same people that were hype af about Luke Cage being brought to the TV are the same ones hype af about BP. They binged Cage in a weekend like most people and had all kinds of discussion on social media. Think about that thread on the IC, and thats just a drop in the bucket of the people that supported.

And i honestly dont see why releasing this during BHM triggers you so much. I thought it was dope. There is nothing being taken away from "us" by doing this. The movie could've been released in January or March and the anticipation would still be there. I'm honestly confused about this particular thing that is triggering you.

Like others have said, if you need a month to celebrate the accomplishments of black folks, then shame on you. I dont wait until February to read about Nat Turner, or Huey P. Newton. Thats a personal journey of mine to always educate myself 365.
This is funny

First, no....

The BP hype train shits all over the Luke cage one.... It's just not the same... Trust me.. This is my realm, I don't just casual, I'm always here.... More people are in love with bp and simply because it offers a mystical black fantasy....
Luke cage was being hyped.... But not like this.... It wasn't even remotely close

Also y'all keep trying to force points I never said.....

I never said bhm is the only time I learn about black history, and I have applauded every single person who said they celebrate black history every day.... Also good...

What I said is that black history month is the only month where the entire world takes a break to celebrate the accomplishments of black people in this country..... And this movie triggered me cuz I'm very sure that focus will not be as heavy this year because a comic book character will receive a lion's share of black folk attention this year.
It's a clear and deliberate distraction.
And it's crazy effective.

Again, I'm looking forward to it too, but this is over kill, and exploits our lost sense of identity.

See how I keep bringing my arguments back to the original point??

Bottom line, black panther is not a special moment in black history.

It's a trendy moment that will in my opinion take away from bhm.

This is funny

First, no....

The BP hype train shits all over the Luke cage one.... It's just not the same... Trust me.. This is my realm, I don't just casual, I'm always here.... More people are in love with bp and simply because it offers a mystical black fantasy....
Luke cage was being hyped.... But not like this.... It wasn't even remotely close

Also y'all keep trying to force points I never said.....

I never said bhm is the only time I learn about black history, and I have applauded every single person who said they celebrate black history every day.... Also good...

What I said is that black history month is the only month where the entire world takes a break to celebrate the accomplishments of black people in this country..... And this movie triggered me cuz I'm very sure that focus will not be as heavy this year because a comic book character will receive a lion's share of black folk attention this year.
It's a clear and deliberate distraction.
And it's crazy effective.

Again, I'm looking forward to it too, but this is over kill, and exploits our lost sense of identity.

See how I keep bringing my arguments back to the original point??

bolded

this aint true and you know it

the world nor the country stops b/c its BHM

sure, you get a McDonald's commercial or some shit, and Nike releasing some shoes themed for this month, but they not taking moments of silence to remember the fallen at jobs and shit

if you expecting anybody to teach your or your children about BHM or waiting until that one month for them to do so, then thats a you problem

the only place this is a distraction is in your head...like you cant "celebrate" the accomplishments of your ancestors along with seeing this movie

this aint no "either or" situation fam

Bottom line, black panther is not a special moment in black history.

It's a trendy moment that will in my opinion take away from bhm.

aight

did Deadpool take away from BHM when it was released in Feb last year?

yes or no

its just a movie fam. its not gonna cause one less innocent black guy to get shot by the cops.

it might get us a few more black superhero movies and TV shows. But thats about it. Go and enjoy it. But dont forget theres an election this year.

the president is still a nazi sympathizer. No black excellence flick, no matter how good it is, gonna change that. Especially one from Disney of all places.

Last edited:
They won't cuz then they'd have to shit on their favorite hood classic.

Can't say TP movies are detrimental to the black community and particularly black men and praise movies like New Jack City, Boyz N Tha Hood or Menace 2 Society at the same time.

Menace, Boyz, and all that had a place. As I get older I see them for what they were and don't watch 'em any more and haven't in quite a while but theres a difference between then and now: Back then that's all we could get greenlit because that's all the honkies holding the money would give us funding for. 30 years later what's TP's excuse?

What Menace and the like did was distort the perception of Black youth to the country at large. TP's movies distort the perception of Black males to Black people, which destroys us from within making it far more dangerous than 100 Menace II Society flicks could ever be.

Last edited:
Back