Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Is Bruno Mars a culture vulture?

I hate that word (woke) maybe they are a bit too knowledgeable about how the world works.

I agree, she can listen to someone else, but when radio stations and TV is pumping out non-black ppl that's using the format that we created and mastered, then you have to question and call out what is going on.

Bobby Brown never won Album of the year breh, neither has Prince, but this dude Bruno has? and he's remaking the same songs as these legends? Lol

The song with Cardi B sounds dayum near like Ralph song, yo baby yo

come on breh.

Switching lanes, if A.D. for the Pelicans isn't being played nor being pushed as the franchise player, and the owners, marketing team are pushing a cac player who is talented but not as talented as A.D. are you going to start cheering for another team, or will you call out the B.S. that's going on?

Same thing.

I hate that word (woke) maybe they are a bit too knowledge about how the world works.

I agree, she can listen to someone else, but when radio stations and TV is pumping out non-black ppl that's using the format that we created and mastered, then you have to question and call out what is going on.

Bobby Brown never won Album of the year breh, neither has Prince, but this dude Bruno has? and he's remaking the same songs as these legends? Lol

come on breh.

Switching lanes, if A.D. for the Pelicans isn't being played nor being pushed as the franchise player, and the owners, marketing team are pushing a cac player who is talented but not as talented as A.D. are you going to start cheering for another team, or will you call out the B.S. that's going on?

Same thing.
too knowledgeable about what??

they are giving power to these award shows that for decades have shunned black musicians. Again, I've NEVER listened to an artist b/c they won a grammy. Thats stupid af. I've never watched a movie b/c a director won an oscar. I couldnt care less.

Good music is there if you are looking for it. I dont look to the radio to tell me who i should be listening to.

Marsha Ambrosius dropped an album yesterday. I only found out b/c a dude on my TL said she did. Guess what i did next? Went to google play and d/l it.

too knowledgeable about what??

they are giving power to these award shows that for decades have shunned black musicians. Again, I've NEVER listened to an artist b/c they won a grammy. Thats stupid af. I've never watched a movie b/c a director won an oscar. I couldnt care less.

Good music is there if you are looking for it. I dont look to the radio to tell me who i should be listening to.

Marsha Ambrosius dropped an album yesterday. I only found out b/c a dude on my TL said she did. Guess what i did next? Went to google play and d/l it.

Most haven't listened to an artist because of them winning a Grammy.

I am stating that Bobby Brown, Prince, made way better music and did not win, but the same music that Bruno is copying gets him AOTY? Is that not a reason to go hmm or to maybe (think) about what's happening, instead of doing the (I'ma go and listen to someone else)

Most don't watch a movie because a director won an Oscar.

Good music is there, I agree, but you don't find it strange that your Sam Salters, and Bruno, and Adele and JT are pushed and prop'd up using our music?

You mentioned Marsha dropped an album yesterday, Do you think any of her albums are better than Sam or Adele's albums?

Most haven't listened to an artist because of them winning a Grammy.

I am stating that Bobby Brown, Prince, made way better music and did not win, but the same music that Bruno is copying gets him AOTY? Is that not a reason to go hmm or to maybe (think) about what's happening, instead of doing the (I'ma go and listen to someone else)

Most don't watch a movie because a director won an Oscar.

Good music is there, I agree, but you don't find it strange that your Sam Salters, and Bruno, and Adele and JT are pushed and prop'd up using our music?

You mentioned Marsha dropped an album yesterday, Do you think any of her albums are better than Sam or Adele's albums?

what??

Brah, i just said i dont care

I'm not checking for Sam Smith, Adele or JT

I've NEVER watched the oscars or the grammy's and im not about to start

I have BM's "unorthodox jukebox" and that shit knocks...not one time did i listen to it with a pov to see who he was trying to emulate. Its a dope cd.

Yall mad at Bruno Mars/ Sam Smith and Adele. But fell to remember this music business is a business. Motown had white musicians and writers. Rick Ruben had his hand in some of the most iconic rap albums in history. Puerto Ricans and white kids help fuel the hip hop movement in the 70s. Countless other examples of different ethnicity working together to get things done. It is a blind and shady business.

I cannot and will not forget the history of the racist entertainment system. But I do not wear blinders when understanding the business. The only way you can change the machine we know as the record business is by influencing the money. Be the one dictating things. Like actors and “Inclusion rider,” a reference to a contract clause stipulating the cast and crew of films be diverse. That is how you change truly shit.

but this is a business and in the end you get paid by selling your stuff to fickle customers by any means. As long as black people are getting their money by writing and producing. I am cool with it for now. Cause best believe, Sam Smith and Bruno Mars are being called by record execs to write songs for the same black artist we cherish and love. We have no problem with that.

He's making good music. He can sing, dance better than most, and is a real showman. Now that he can touch the ceiling it's inevitable that he's going to be compared to the goat. These comparisons will always happen whether or not the artist, athlete, dancer, or whatever is worthy once
they become popular.

People get labeled a vulture because they are successful and so someone doesn't like it. Right or wrong. Wrong in this case.

On a similar note, I hear people saying a rapper is mainstream once they become too popular.

The limelight is a target.

got sent this by a poster here

thoughts?

Mike wouldn't have shined in this era cuz niggas her age would've shit on Beat It, Billie Jean, Smooth Criminal etc. Cuz it wasn't R&B or Hip Hop.

Yeah NE don't have an album of the year grammy, but Stevie got 3, Lionel Richie, MJ, Whitney, Qunicy Jones, Natalie Cole, Lauryn Hill, Herbie Hancock, Ray Charles, and Outkast got one. So yeah a lot of talented artist don't have an Album of the Year grammy, Shit as much dickriding as the Beatles have gotten for the last 50+ years, they only got 1.

Last edited:
It is true that the masses (white people) want black culture to come from non-black people. I don't think this is anything new. The same way that radio wouldn't let black singers get their just due and they'd go out and get white people to do the same exact song for their white audience.

This is Little Richard and Pat Boone with "Tutti Fruitti" and Bob Marley and Eric Clapton with "I Shot The Sheriff".

I really like Mars, but that doesn't change the fact he gets the benefit of being able to be awarded for black music when actual black musicians have been overlooked.

Back