Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED India Arie: Janelle Monae and Meg The Stallion Doesn’t Represent Us Well

test
Exactly. So what's the purpose, on a board meant for discussion, to try and squelch one by saying "people could've just left it at that." Ain't the point of a discussion board to discuss shit? If we just supposed to not discuss this then why even have this space?

lol Yo, ya'll be trying to go back and forth so much that you forget the points you're arguing. I wasn't telling people they couldn't discuss shit. I was disagreeing with you making it seem like people that didn't like Janelle and Megan's performances were the ones making a big deal out of all of this. The backlash to India's comments have contributed too.

But it's not a cop out

You will adapt or cease to exist.

OR

create your own festival with the types of things you want to see

How long were teams the Raiders in purgatory because Al Davis was still trying to field the teams that were popular in the late 80s early 90s. The league as a whole was going one direction embracing new shit while he was still stuck in the previous decades. This essence shit is no different.

Or when blockbuster didn't embrace the incoming digital age.

Again, the legacy act is slowly becoming extinct. Essence weekend is also much more than the concerts as well.

And for those who have never been, there are lounges in addition to the main stage where you can go to catch acts.

I'm not saying India is wrong, I'm saying her feelings are misguided towards the wrong people
This is beyond the festival .. but on that point what is the purpose of this.."adaption" is this for commerce or culture is this bit so important to "the culture"

lol Yo, ya'll be trying to go back and forth so much that you forget the points you're arguing. I wasn't telling people they couldn't discuss shit. I was disagreeing with you making it seem like people that didn't like Janelle and Megan's performances were the ones making a big deal out of all of this. The backlash to India's comments have contributed too.

I know the point im making. You seem like you're basically only paying attention to the folks who are disagreeing and ignoring the folks who are agreeing with her and using it to make their "women today are hoes" point. Or have you magically missed those comments? Because it's plenty of those making a big deal out of how "hoes have ruined Essense Fest"

India’s point was valid. Shaking ass don’t have to be everywhere. However, Essence knew what was up when they booked Megan.

She ain’t got not one classy song.

Do you think the culture is becoming more sexualized? I know damn well we had some freak ass songs back in the day but can't tell if it's confirmation bias or not to think it wasn't as widespread relative to today. Hell, Back That Azz Up is getting a little burn with the Gen Z crowd because of that Tiny Desk Juve did.

Do you think the culture is becoming more sexualized? I know damn well we had some freak ass songs back in the day but can't tell if it's confirmation bias or not to think it wasn't as widespread relative to today. Hell, Back That Azz Up is getting a little burn with the Gen Z crowd because of that Tiny Desk Juve did.
Here the thing the biggest all do the same shit so they are driving the culture your megans, the seahorse lookin girl and the other chick... alternative dont really exist on that level... there use to be diversity

Yes. Our generation was sexualized but the difference with me is I ain’t know what none of that shit meant until I was older. It was mid.

Now, it’s right in your face, my coochie pink, my booty hole brown!

The culture was always sexualized.

Anyone that's been around long enough will tell you that these kinds of artists always existed. The problem these bitter artists have today, is that these artists are getting too much attention, and they're not. Back in the day, it was around, but it wasn't in the front. Today, they're making hit records with it. There's still mad diversity in black music today, which is why no couple of artists are ever going to "represent" a whole segment of people.

Jill Scott has a whole part in her live show where she does sex acts. Her lyrics are just as explicit as any of these raunchy acts. But she gets a pass because she's "Neo-soul"? And I love me some Jill, but come on. People really gotta stop being selective with how they view the same things being done by different people. And black women have to stop trying to tear each other down. There's room for every kind of artist in our music.

This is beyond the festival .. but on that point what is the purpose of this.."adaption" is this for commerce or culture is this bit so important to "the culture"
If their once key demographic has aged out of the artists that are available, they have to "adapt" to continue their festival

Frankie Beverly and Maze not walking through that door along with the aunt's and uncle's who went to Essence just to see them

They have to get creative and get with the times. Does it suck that these are the times we're in? That's a matter of perspective, however, to expect a spectacle that is Essence to just not try to change is unrealistic.

Their event is no more tainted today than it was x amount of years ago. I'm talking about overall quality and experience and not an act or two here and there.

Back