Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED India Arie: Janelle Monae and Meg The Stallion Doesn’t Represent Us Well

test
But everybody didn’t get naked two artists did who have been on the cover of essence if the crowd they cater too is ok with it then you have right to complain but could just look at something else.

lol It's irrelevant how many did it. The point is that it's ok for there to be events where no one does it, and what does them being on the cover of Essence have to do with the topic at hand? Lastly, I'm not complaining about the show. I didn't see it and don't really care about the Essence festival. I'm talking about India, and how she's justified to feel the way that she does. That said, if I was a big Essence Festival fan, I'd have every right to complain about it if something I supported took a turn I didn't like. The whole "Go do something else" shit is stupid. People like what they like and shouldn't always have to give up on shit quietly. FOH with that.

There was plenty of performances that India Arie or anybody else could've watched. All this is over 2 performances during a weekend when there were plenty of then. It's not like these two took over the stage for the entire weekend. This is literally over what amounted to a few minutes out of hours on hours of performances.

lol Ya'll kill me. All of what? India stated her opinion and left it at that and then people came for her head. People could have just respected her opinion and left it at that. Instead they vociferously disagreed with her and now you're trying to act like she's the one making a big deal out of it. Come on.

46 and I don't see women declining at all

What I do see is weak men crying about what they think women should and shouldn't doing

I'll fully support the decline of today's weak men tho
It would be cool if you have daughters and they started acting this way?

Turning those 2 moments into an indictment of the entire Essence Fest and black women is alot.
But she didn't do that, she addressed two people and only two people. Any other place she don't have an issue with that type of performance, there's a time and a place and she don't think that was the place.

lol It's irrelevant how many did it. The point is that it's ok for there to be events where no one does it, and what does them being on the cover of Essence have to do with the topic at hand? Lastly, I'm not complaining about the show. I didn't see it and don't really care about the Essence festival. I'm talking about India, and how she's justified to feel the way that she does. That said, if I was a big Essence Festival fan, I'd have every right to complain about it if something I supported took a turn I didn't like. The whole "Go do something else" shit is stupid. People like what they like and shouldn't always have to give up on shit quietly. FOH with that.

lol Ya'll kill me. All of what? India stated her opinion and left it at that and then people came for her head. People could have just respected her opinion and left it at that. Instead they vociferously disagreed with her and now you're trying to act like she's the one making a big deal out of it. Come on.

So people haven't taken her comments, you can read this thread to see for yourself, and made it about the entirety of Essence Fest and how Black women present themself?

What she said has merit beyond the essence fest its crazy that people are on this cop out times change blah blah
But it's not a cop out

You will adapt or cease to exist.

OR

create your own festival with the types of things you want to see

How long were teams the Raiders in purgatory because Al Davis was still trying to field the teams that were popular in the late 80s early 90s. The league as a whole was going one direction embracing new shit while he was still stuck in the previous decades. This essence shit is no different.

Or when blockbuster didn't embrace the incoming digital age.

Again, the legacy act is slowly becoming extinct. Essence weekend is also much more than the concerts as well.

And for those who have never been, there are lounges in addition to the main stage where you can go to catch acts.

I'm not saying India is wrong, I'm saying her feelings are misguided towards the wrong people

So people haven't taken her comments, you can read this thread to see for yourself, and made it about the entirety of Essence Fest and how Black women present themself?

Sure, but what's your point? That's how conversation and discussions work. A topic gets brought up and it branches out. You've been on this site long enough to know how it goes. No one is acting like Meg and Janelle putting some skin on display at the Essence Fesitival is a sign of the end times. People are just voicing their opinions on both sides of the topic.

Sure, but what's your point? That's how conversation and discussions work. A topic gets brought up and it branches out. You've been on this site long enough to know how it goes. No one is acting like Meg and Janelle putting some skin on display at the Essence Fesitival is a sign of the end times. People are just voicing their opinions on both sides of the topic.

Exactly. So what's the purpose, on a board meant for discussion, to try and squelch one by saying "people could've just left it at that." Ain't the point of a discussion board to discuss shit? If we just supposed to not discuss this then why even have this space?

Last edited:
Back