Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED India Arie: Janelle Monae and Meg The Stallion Doesn’t Represent Us Well

test
India Arie has a history of hating on other black female artists. So I ain't trying to hear her opinion on anything.

To imply that a couple of chicks making music would "represent" all black women poorly, is just corny. There are mad artists who are making mad good music and getting love for their craft, who don’t do anything like what Janelle and Meg do. This notion that a couple of us have the kinda power to be a reflection of all of us, is wack. If that's their approach, that's their approach. We have mad other options out there. Same way it was in the 60's and 70's. Even 80's and 90's. What really bothers her is their success.

She didn't have an issue with Alicia Keys until she swept the Grammy's in 2001, and then she started talking about how she only won because she was light-skinned. But before she won all the Grammy's, she was loving what Alicia was doing. She didn't like that she lost to Alicia. So India Arie is just a miserable ass chick. She's done this with Jill Scott, Erykah, Alicia, and mad others, now she's doing it with two other black females. Corny.

But why does that shit have to be at everything? Why can't you got Essence Festival and not see any raunchy shit? That's the issue. The mainstream already pushes that shit super hard. It's perfectly reasonable for some people to not want it to invade everything.

Yes but isn’t Essence festival mainstream? I mean I know it’s not white but it’s a big ass festival. I’m just thinking about the 100s of other jazz festivals who didn’t have Meg or Monae. I hear you but those are also some huge artists. I get they could’ve had a toned down performance but they both have been on the cover of Essence so they knew. Both covers were conservative but they know the audience.

Yes but isn’t Essence festival mainstream? I mean I know it’s not white but it’s a big ass festival. I’m just thinking about the 100s of other jazz festivals who didn’t have Meg or Monae. I hear you but those are also some huge artists. I get they could’ve had a toned down performance but they both have been on the cover of Essence so they knew. Both covers were conservative but they know the audience.

Exactly.

Both Janelle and Meg have been on the cover more than once. It's not like they don’t belong at Essence fest. Trina has literally performed there and was on stage talking about all kinds of wild sh*t. LOL!! Jill Scott has done shows acting like she's giving the mic sloppy toppies. And she's also been on stage calling herself "a b*tch who don’t play". Her lyrics, at times, are just as raunchy as these rap chicks. But because she's singing them with a headwrap on, that makes it okay? I love Jill, but she's wildin'. So it's selective outrage. Essence ain't about one kind of vibe. Just like black music isn't. They've always had a mad diverse lineup.

Problem with the bitter artists, is that some of these girls are getting too much attention for their liking. They feel like these chicks ain't worthy of their success.

India Arie has a history of hating on other black female artists. So I ain't trying to hear her opinion on anything.

To imply that a couple of chicks making music would "represent" all black women poorly, is just corny. There are mad artists who are making mad good music and getting love for their craft, who don’t do anything like what Janelle and Meg do. This notion that a couple of us have the kinda power to be a reflection of all of us, is wack. If that's their approach, that's their approach. We have mad other options out there. Same way it was in the 60's and 70's. Even 80's and 90's. What really bothers her is their success.

She didn't have an issue with Alicia Keys until she swept the Grammy's in 2001, and then she started talking about how she only won because she was light-skinned. But before she won all the Grammy's, she was loving what Alicia was doing. She didn't like that she lost to Alicia. So India Arie is just a miserable ass chick. She's done this with Jill Scott, Erykah, Alicia, and mad others, now she's doing it with two other black females. Corny.
This is all it boils down to. She’s a hater and goes after other women for their looks while claiming it’s about something else. She’s basically a femcel.

But why does that shit have to be at everything? Why can't you got Essence Festival and not see any raunchy shit? That's the issue. The mainstream already pushes that shit super hard. It's perfectly reasonable for some people to not want it to invade everything.
Simply put, those legacy artists aren't doing these types of venues anymore

You gotta go with who's available

I've said this before

jus to reiterate

it's jus 1 belief vs. another belief

there's no "right" or "wrong"

so, long as one feels their belief is "right" any opposing belief must be "wrong"

thus you'll get threads/discussions like these that go for days

As with everything times change. I'm damn sure not about to tell a female what she can and can't do. Let the other females do that.
As far as for how Essence is now, this was bound to happen with the acts that are being pushed now.
If you look at the early stages of Essence, yes it did cater to the older crowd originally with a few new acts at the time sprinkled in.
Shit the Essence Fest is a direct response to the tour they used to have called the Budweiser Superfest. That catered specifically to the older folks at the time. They would tour like 15-20 cities. Pretty much all black acts.
If I remember correctly, the early Superfests had acts like Barry White, Quincy Jones and Maze in the early 80s. Towards the end of the 80s, you had acts like Bell Biv Devoe included.
Like I said times change.
If it bothers India that much, then start your own outlet for music you wanna see and hear, I'll wait. Her issue should be with Essence and not the people who were performing. My thing is why can't they cater to everyone instead of putting one down to uplift another. We do that shit all time and then people pick sides. It's unnecessary.

Ain't you like 45, you shouldn't be supporting the decline of today's women
46 and I don't see women declining at all

What I do see is weak men crying about what they think women should and shouldn't doing

I'll fully support the decline of today's weak men tho

I don't know. I haven't been to Essence in a long time, but when I was familiar with it, it's purpose was to have that "Grown and Sexy" vibe. Yeah it was mainstream, but as someone else said, it was never on that raunchy shit even when that was popular in past years. Maybe its changed, and if it has then so be it, but I stand by the question of why does everything have to change in that way. If the top female artists want to push hypersexuality and put themselves in that box, that's their right, but their should still be events for artists that want to make and perform actual music without getting naked.

I don't know. I haven't been to Essence in a long time, but when I was familiar with it, it's purpose was to have that "Grown and Sexy" vibe. Yeah it was mainstream, but as someone else said, it was never on that raunchy shit even when that was popular in past years. Maybe its changed, and if it has then so be it, but I stand by the question of why does everything have to change in that way. If the top female artists want to push hypersexuality and put themselves in that box, that's their right, but their should still be events for artists that want to make and perform actual music without getting naked.

But everybody didn’t get naked two artists did who have been on the cover of essence if the crowd they cater too is ok with it then you have right to complain but could just look at something else.

There was plenty of performances that India Arie or anybody else could've watched. All this is over 2 performances during a weekend when there were plenty of then. It's not like these two took over the stage for the entire weekend. This is literally over what amounted to a few minutes out of hours on hours of performances.

Went to Something in the Water and Latto performed and she was raunchy and raunchy performance and nobody had said anything.

Back