Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED India Arie: Janelle Monae and Meg The Stallion Doesn’t Represent Us Well

test
I’m not comparing their talent…I’m comparing how desensitized people are now today when it comes to sexual visuals on their screens….a lot has changed over a decade

It then goes back into what India was saying….sexy is cool and it sells but it’s becoming overtly the main ticket today…..when it once didn’t have to be
Im not either we are not saying two entirely different things

Like a lot of things, over time, some things change.

I've been to Essence on the first night where it mostly contemporary acts and performances and I've gone on the last night when the legacy acts were the main performers with Maze and Frankie Beverley closing it out.

The first night was definitely a younger vibe and by younger I mean college aged to about 40.

The last night was definitely aunt's and uncle's, linen suits etc. Still a wonderful ass night but it was different from the first night. Crazy that I've never been to the second night.

At either rate, Essence for the last ten years or so had been trending towards what it is today. Maze said they were no longer doing Essence and they've been just playing musical chairs with closing acts.

Both the nights I've attended the few times I went had hella women dancing from two stepping to some adult twerking or rather dancing to the beat.

If you've never been there, (looking at you chi-town Bradley) you can't go by what India is saying or watching it on Hulu. There's something for everyone in attendance for the most part

Edit: I say these things based on MY experiences along with others who I personally know that have gone multiple times.

I think @BlackRain made an excellent example when he used Girls Trip. That's a great example of the type of time out of town women tend to have there.

Thank you for saying this. Men talk ho this, ho that, while posting pics of buttholes 24/7, as if this doesn’t make them hos too

When did looking at something make you that thing?

By watching Heat, am I now a bank robber? Whole bunch of chicks love shows like Sex/Life and stuff, does that make y'all adulterers?

Janelle Monae has an interesting character arc. I get people go through phases, experience more, and grow, but Tightrope came on revolt the other night and it caught me off guard seeing that compared to her now. First she used to cover up wearing suits and now she's in bikinis dancing on tables. Idk just something to think about life

People keep saying this like there wasn't a transition over time and treat it like she just popped up topless 2 months ago

I'm indifferent. I grew up watching explicit rap music videos and seeing half naked gyal at carribean festival in Toronto wining to soca and calypso. It's kinda ratchet but these women are just having fun.

With that said, there's an argument to be made about oversexualization being made mainstream. Especially the lyrical content. Explicit lyrics usually were disguised innuendo. Now it's just blatant. Is it a bad thing? I'm not sure. But it's a bit unsettling knowing that children are listening to shit like WAP.

Essence Fest got that "new direction" speech to try and get a younger crowd and sacrificed its foundational base in the process. I agree with India.Arie here, but I'm always down to watch some ratchetness from the confines of my home.

She did an entire music video about and dressed as a vagina years ago. Showing a titty or a covered nippled for .2 seconds really is nothing.
I'll admit I ain't really paying attention to Janelle Monae like that so I'll take your word for it. It was just like "Wow" when I thought about it. Good for her though

Back