Welcome To aBlackWeb

HipHop Hasn't Done Anything Good For Black People

Yall repeatingly missing the point lol. But that's peace.
I'm still trying to figure what exactly the point of this thread is?? Are we talking about individual artist and what their contributions to their communities are or the messaging of the music?

I'm still trying to figure what exactly the point of this thread is?? Are we talking about individual artist and what their contributions to their communities are or the messaging of the music?
Umar was talking about hiphop not being good for the black community. Posters in here tried to use 50 cent as an example as why it is.

So first it’s a job, then it’s a vehicle for social mobility? (Shreveport niccas) Make up your mind. And yes, everything Fifty does is on behalf of hiphop because he sells his brand on the basis of a hip-hop audience (Power, BMF, music, licka). If he can’t sell that patronage of people who listen to hip hop tot he people who PROFIT from hip hop, he can’t sell at all.

This isn’t about who’s popular or a celebrity. There’s economics to rap the same way there’s economics to football or Hollywood, both of which are crafted by the broader public’s support and work symbiotically to create entertainment and economics.

If Hip Hop is created and nurtured exclusively by Black men and women, the fruit of it should benefit them, lest it become another arm of Black exploitation.

That is what’s happening, that’s what Umar saying.

please stop telling me about wanting rappers to be politicians because that’s not the conversation that tired line only amuses people who enjoy memes and chicken wings.

Yes much to your dismay to some music is just a job. Not a life passion or vehicle for change. Just a job. The only way for what you think Umar is saying to become true would be for Black folks to somehow become the sole controllers and beneficiaries of any income related to anything deemed "hip hop". Not only is that idea impossible it's also silly as hell and would stunt it's growth.

And I'm not saying rappers want to be politicians. You grossly missed that point. I'm saying if you're talking about hip hop affecting things like actual government policies and where certain funds go then that's not something a rapper can do on their own. It's something a politician can do. They can even being influenced by hip hop...but hip hop itself nor a rapper can do it because they're not elected officials. So if your only metrics foe what has hip hop done is "do only Black folks benefit" and "what government policy has changed" you're setting yourself up for an unrealistic expectation and certain disappointment.

In this thread?

BlackRain
Elzo

Older country music fans definitely feel that way. The new country they feel don’t represent them. But country lifestyle has changed and they don’t want to accept it

Point where I cosigned that Kendrick sentiment? I never did. I've actually called it corny as recently as a few days ago

Ok so that's 4 genres we're at. Which of those 4 genres have had artist die behind their music? Which of those genres had artists trying to kill eachother over their music? Which of those genres holds up disrespecting one another as culture?

Until you realize rappers aren't "dying behind music" then you're always gonna miss the point. Dying behind music would imply the music is the reason people are being killed and it's not.

The “it’s a job” part of the sentence ties to you.

Because to some music is just a job. Just like alot of professions. For some it's just a check. Also if you're gonna do the "folks are going from..." it would help if you actually used a person/people saying the same thing not 2 different things like you just clarified

The main effect of Hip-Hop is its influence. It influences the entire world but doesn’t influence anybody more than it does us.

It influences how we see the world, how we relate to each other, what we value, how we spend our money, how we resolve conflicts, etc.

In 50 years, has this influence ultimately been positive? I’d argue not really.

The main effect of Hip-Hop is its influence. It influences the entire world but doesn’t influence anybody more than it does us.

It influences how we see the world, how we relate to each other, what we value, how we spend our money, how we resolve conflicts, etc.

In 50 years, has this influence ultimately been positive? I’d argue not really.
I don't get what's hard to understand about this.

Hiphop as a concept, idea, culture, and everything it embodies

Umar is saying it hasn’t had a positive impact as a whole on the black community

Now that you know that, GO

I feel like a lot of y'all are saying essentially the same thing

But I'm enjoying the convo nonetheless

Then it goes back to my original question...based on what standard? Both Jazz and Rock music hasn't had any lasting positive impact on the black community either.

I guess to Dr umar’s standards (matter fact use your own standards)

Also This is whataboutism and deflection

Answer the question lol

Back