Welcome To aBlackWeb

HipHop Hasn't Done Anything Good For Black People

The things you just listed are political issues that unless a rapper runs for office they can't actually do anything about. So if the measuring gauge is political progress then that goes back to something I believe it was Malcom X who often along with many others very much disliked putting those expectations onto musicians and others simply because they're famous for music.
Brother, the whole “that’s a political issue” thing is a cop out.

Fif giving half a mil to the police is a political issue, his pivot toward MAGA is a political issue, these all negatively affect Black people and fill the coffers of class enemies via HIP HOP. One side wins, one side loses.

It’s incumbent upon people who’ve built their entire lives on something to contribute to it, thats why the state lottery pays for White kids to go to college as mandated by the state. Hip-Hop, particularly the kind of hip hop Fif peddles in, is entirely based on Black sociopolitical isolation and divestment. These things are only exacerbated by Hip Hop’s colonial style division of labor where rich white people are the only ones to benefit from the labor of poor, uneducated Black people.

I fuck with 50 heavy, love what he's doing and respect that his wealth is touching some black pockets but I don't put him at a level of doing anything for the black community same way I don't with Tyler perry. Their products serve more detrimental to the community as a whole than the few pockets they line.

Just hiphop being a back drop, background music, and the soundtrack to the lives of black people. Is enough for the significance of hiphop to be cemented.

The album Me Against The World, perfectly describes what it’s like to be young, black, and a man. If…you are in poverty or segregated against opportunities.

Anyway, without hiphop, a lot of children wouldn’t have been able to understand shit cause adults wasn’t telling kids shit. They gate kept valuable jewels and then criticized every misstep just to feel superior.

But the reason they gate kept is cause they knew the generation they were raising was gonna be greater than them, so they held onto that superiority for as long as they could. So without hiphop, the generation of the 80s, 90s wouldn’t have thrived cause wasn’t nobody teaching us shit other wise.

We was getting taught by movies and media, all from the frame work of hiphop.

Yea it got a lot of shit wrong, yea it eventually was seen as the tool it is and taken and manipulated to do more harm than good. But without hiphop, so much of us woulda be lost.

Brother, the whole “that’s a political issue” thing is a cop out.

Fif giving half a mil to the police is a political issue, his pivot toward MAGA is a political issue, these all negatively affect Black people and fill the coffers of class enemies via HIP HOP. One side wins, one side loses.

It’s incumbent upon people who’ve built their entire lives on something to contribute to it, thats why the state lottery pays for White kids to go to college as mandated by the state. Hip-Hop, particularly the kind of hip hop Fif peddles in, is entirely based on Black sociopolitical isolation and divestment. These things are only exacerbated by Hip Hop’s colonial style division of labor where rich white people are the only ones to benefit from the labor of poor, uneducated Black people.

It's not a cop out because it's the truth. Music is a job. Imagine if your job also suddenly required you to make political statements. It'd seem wild wouldn't it? The nature of someone being in the public eye doesn't instantly mean their opinion or voice is more valid or credible but because folks worship famous people and associate fame with intelligence they think it does.

50 donating to the police has nothing to do with "Hip hop". And everything a rapper does isn't representative of hip hop. The sooner folks realize that the sooner they'll stop being disappointed when celebrities do shit normal people do. These parasocial relationships with famous people is doing way too much damage to people's world pov

It's not a cop out because it's the truth. Music is a job. Imagine if your job also suddenly required you to make political statements. It'd seem wild wouldn't it? The nature of someone being in the public eye doesn't instantly mean their opinion or voice is more valid or credible but because folks worship famous people and associate fame with intelligence they think it does.

50 donating to the police has nothing to do with "Hip hop". And everything a rapper does isn't representative of hip hop. The sooner folks realize that the sooner they'll stop being disappointed when celebrities do shit normal people do. These parasocial relationships with famous people is doing way too much damage to people's world pov
So first it’s a job, then it’s a vehicle for social mobility? (Shreveport niccas) Make up your mind. And yes, everything Fifty does is on behalf of hiphop because he sells his brand on the basis of a hip-hop audience (Power, BMF, music, licka). If he can’t sell that patronage of people who listen to hip hop tot he people who PROFIT from hip hop, he can’t sell at all.

This isn’t about who’s popular or a celebrity. There’s economics to rap the same way there’s economics to football or Hollywood, both of which are crafted by the broader public’s support and work symbiotically to create entertainment and economics.

If Hip Hop is created and nurtured exclusively by Black men and women, the fruit of it should benefit them, lest it become another arm of Black exploitation.

That is what’s happening, that’s what Umar saying.

please stop telling me about wanting rappers to be politicians because that’s not the conversation that tired line only amuses people who enjoy memes and chicken wings.

Name them? Who are these people?
In this thread?

BlackRain
Elzo

Country music. Their fans definitely feels like it represents their culture. And that's why they fight so hard to gatekeep it from whoever they perceived as an outsider

Older country music fans definitely feel that way. The new country they feel don’t represent them. But country lifestyle has changed and they don’t want to accept it

No one did that besides @NinetyFree
Respectfully my Canadian brother my point throughout this thread has remained that Hip Hop isn’t benefitting Black people, nothing about rappers solving issues created by the government.

He needs my argument to be that 50 cent will single-handedly solve Black hunger because he knows his outlook is flawed/exploitative and he merely want to repeat something about rappers being politicians because it appeals to that bootstrap bullshit.

Respectfully my Canadian brother my point throughout this thread has remained that Hip Hop isn’t benefitting Black people, nothing about rappers solving issues created by the government.

He needs my argument to be that 50 cent will single-handedly solve Black hunger because he knows his outlook is flawed/exploitative and he merely want to repeat something about rappers being politicians because it appeals to that bootstrap bullshit.
My fault if you didn't say that. I'm too lazy to go back and read. I agree with your stance tho 🤝🏿

Back