Welcome To aBlackWeb

Do You Only Consider Black People Born In The States Black?

My thoughts didn't seem poorly organized to me, but if everyone else read them and took them the wrong way, I'll own that. That said, we could have saved all this back and forth if you dudes had just engaged me in a civil manner from the start rather than throwing darts at me because you didn't like/understand the point I was trying to make.

I never said black people can't unify. Of course we can. However, unifying small pockets within a population is very different from unifying the entire population. I'm glad you brought up the Civil Rights movement because it basically proves my point. It started in the 50s right and that focused movement ended almost as soon as the Civil Rights Act was signed and MLK was killed. So probably the best example of black unity in the West lasted less than 30 years and was replaced by a bunch of splinter groups that haven't been nearly as successful fighting for black empowerment.

I don't disagree with you that worldwide black unity would be wonderful. I just don't think it's achievable. I think we'd be much better off focusing all our efforts on unity within the African American community, and even that will be severely challenging.
the bolded/underlined is def reasonable since u are willing to concede to that

but I think u are minimizing what opps actually did to stop/divert/dilute the Civil Rights movement..........black empowerment movements didn't just stop on their own..........they were specifically targeted by the US govt

and u don't need to unite all Black folks in a single city before u start aiming worldwide

even Black unity movements pre-Civil Rights didn't rely on locally homegrown unison before making moves that had a real impact

all it takes is enough of us from everywhere to link and start influencing others to get on board

all of ATL Black people don't have to unify if enough of us from multiple Black cities are making moves investing with our counterparts in other countries

the disbelievers will eventually just be left behind like the plantation slaves who were too afraid/skeptical to run to freedom

the bolded/underlined kind of contradicts itself

u basically made an argument using essentially a statistical example that undermined ur whole premise

u used Africa vs Europe as ur example, then u went to using gang members within the AA community to further support ur argument

u basically used a sample (gang members), of a sample of Black people (AAs), to correlate with a larger population (African continent being the original source of all Black people in the world)

the math alone in that stat example automatically undercuts ur own argument which is why it's a bad take (we ain't even gon explain the standard deviations associated with it either to further prove my point) 🙁

but the real problematic part is u used gangs as ur example of difficulty with AA unity

why not use college students.......or middle class working AA folks as a example?

that's what really makes ur premise suspect

Oh shit look at you

1000003651.gif

fair enough.........but u do see how when u use examples of Africa that u show correlation btw all Black people historically/globally

and AAs and gang members being associated together

if that wasn't ur intent, then u organized ur premise poorly and it came off like cracka based talking points

bottom line with using individual examples to say we can never unify, just sounds like u underestimating our own people

u think the Civil Rights movement wasn't an example of Black people being unified?

u think Black liberation movements globally weren't examples of Black unity that we can proliferate?

and truthfully now is the time to really start thinking about global Black unity when u consider what China is doing and how there are significant fractures in the US's global position

it would only make sense for Black people to start considering linking together when the threat of global racism is becoming more apparent

gang members are such a trivial point to make at this level

I think part of what's not being said is...you can't save everybody. So while it would be nice to have ALL Black folks on one accord there will always be those more concerned with their own progress by whatever means over the progress of the whole. So when talking about unity and solidarity it can't be ignored that there will be a segment that will be left behind due to their own choices

Oh I agree with you that it shouldn't be about just agreeing with people you like. But I'm also a strong advocate of being aware of just who is agreeing with you on certain shit. Might make you rethink your stances on somethings if you find yourself being of like mind with certain people

but if it's the truth u believe................then why allow public opinion to sway something u personally believe in?

that's the problem with a lot of mofos these days now........and why it seems social media/popular opinions stay fucking a lot of us up 🙁

how many times do leaders/innovative thinkers look crazy to the masses because they present their own unique way of thinking?

then at the end it's revealed that their view was right from the start

but if it's the truth u believe................then why allow public opinion to sway something u personally believe in?

that's the problem with a lot of mofos these days now........and why it seems social media/popular opinions stay fucking a lot of us up 🙁

how many times do leaders/innovative thinkers look crazy to the masses because they present their own unique way of thinking?

then at the end it's revealed that their view was right from the start

To your last question it all depends because sometimes people just get caught up in rhetoric above actual actions. Being unique/different don't always mean better and social media has amplified the people who think just because they think "different" that it's right. Different can just be a different brand of stupid.

I wouldn't allow social media to sway my opinion on something. I would allow certain individuals whose opinions I value do that though. Problem is everyone is convinced their opinion is valuable

the bolded/underlined is def reasonable since u are willing to concede to that

but I think u are minimizing what opps actually did to stop/divert/dilute the Civil Rights movement..........black empowerment movements didn't just stop on their own..........they were specifically targeted by the US govt

and u don't need to unite all Black folks in a single city before u start aiming worldwide

even Black unity movements pre-Civil Rights didn't rely on locally homegrown unison before making moves that had a real impact

all it takes is enough of us from everywhere to link and start influencing others to get on board

all of ATL Black people don't have to unify if enough of us from multiple Black cities are making moves investing with our counterparts in other countries

the disbelievers will eventually just be left behind like the plantation slaves who were too afraid/skeptical to run to freedom

Oh, I'm not minimizing what opps did, it's just a moot point because every attempt at black unity will face opposition. If the Civil Rights Movement could succumb to it, any attempt at black unification is vulnerable.

You're right, don't need a city to be completely unified to start working on a national movement. But weaknesses at a city level will hurt whatever you build at a national level. For example, the whole "what about Chicago narrative" that get's thrown up every time black people try to fight for criminal justice reform on a national level. We understand its bullshit, but it has been a successful diversionary tactic used against people fighting for our cause.

We can agree to disagree on this. I just think you're kinda proving my point. Again, the Civil Rights movement is the best example of AA unity and it didn't last for 30 years and people on this very site claim repeatedly that integration, the big victory of the Civil Rights movement, was bad for black people. I don't agree with that, but it just goes to show how difficult unifying the African diaspora would be when AAs can't even agree on whether or not our limited unity has been a net positive.

Oh, I'm not minimizing what opps did, it's just a moot point because every attempt at black unity will face opposition. If the Civil Rights Movement could succumb to it, any attempt at black unification is vulnerable.

You're right, don't need a city to be completely unified to start working on a national movement. But weaknesses at a city level will hurt whatever you build at a national level. For example, the whole "what about Chicago narrative" that get's thrown up every time black people try to fight for criminal justice reform on a national level. We understand its bullshit, but it has been a successful diversionary tactic used against people fighting for our cause.

We can agree to disagree on this. I just think you're kinda proving my point. Again, the Civil Rights movement is the best example of AA unity and it didn't last for 30 years and people on this very site claim repeatedly that integration, the big victory of the Civil Rights movement, was bad for black people. I don't agree with that, but it just goes to show how difficult unifying the African diaspora would be when AAs can't even agree on whether or not our limited unity has been a net positive.
ironically I don't disagree on the difficulty of making Black unity happen

but I do disagree with u that we should expect any genuine attempts to always fail forever

the efforts that worked in the past weren't based on the same urgency and access to each other that we have today

let the US decide to make slavery legal again by law and there will still be a significant portion of Black folks who will remain sleep about what's really at stake

but that doesn't mean that Black worldwide unification shouldn't still be a goal just because we know there will be opposition

the fact that we are on boards like this talking to each other should give mofos hope that a seed can be planted

Reactions: GNS

There's a reason...

Labels and slurs aren't just thrown out there for no fucking reason, words matter.

The age of black people being able to shit on Black Culture under the guise of Blackness is over. In the near future you're going to have to identify where you're from to validate your negative opinions on Black Culture

That shit is crazy. It always seemed to me most island people were proud to be from the islands. Most the countries are deemed as beautiful.

I just feel like niggas don’t be ready for the American niggas who he joking about it. But shit you just joke back and keep it moving.

That shit is crazy. It always seemed to me most island people were proud to be from the islands. Most the countries are deemed as beautiful.
Caribbean people are some of the proudest people on earth that's why I know nobody would say no shit like this. No matter the island.

I just feel like niggas don’t be ready for the American niggas who he joking about it. But shit you just joke back and keep it moving.
I actually feel that high school shit started a lot of problems African Americans have with the rest of the diaspora but now that niggaz is grown it's just jokes lol. As you can see a lotta them immigrants hate y'all guts now lmao

Nope he one of y’all NYC Jamaicans
Busta from VA!

ironically I don't disagree on the difficulty of making Black unity happen

but I do disagree with u that we should expect any genuine attempts to always fail forever

the efforts that worked in the past weren't based on the same urgency and access to each other that we have today

let the US decide to make slavery legal again by law and there will still be a significant portion of Black folks who will remain sleep about what's really at stake

but that doesn't mean that Black worldwide unification shouldn't still be a goal just because we know there will be opposition

the fact that we are on boards like this talking to each other should give mofos hope that a seed can be planted

In the end, out outlooks aren't really at odds. You believe that worldwide unification is possible, but it needs the seed planted. I don't believe worldwide unification is possible, but I do believe in uniting where we can. If I'm right we'd see some unification which is better than nothing. If you're right, what I propose could serve as that seed. So, it's all good.

🤝

Back