Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Do Southern HipHop Fans Care About Bars?

test
Just another thread to tell us that hip hop in the South is dumb except for OurKast.
And all the South people are slow and dumb also.
As somebody who loves hip hop from everywhere, it pisses me off.
I'd swing on some of these niggas in person.
That's why I've said numerous times this site is the worst when it comes to hiphop conversations. Everything else I fuck with but the music side so biased and eastcoast old head shit.

Last edited:
That's why I've said numerous times this site is the worst when it comes to hiphop conversations. Everything else I fuck with but the music side so biased and eastcoast old head shit.

But it's like that everywhere. You can go to any site, blog, podcast.....

To me if you are talented I f* w you(N/H). I just want to hear talent
To me alot that South music I can't f w cause I don't hear talent to be honest.

But nigs like, Andre 3000, killer Mike, Bun B and scarface I'd f w cause them katz can spit.

Ludacris is in my top 5. I feel he can out rap more than half of new york.

Sidenote:
From them new new nigs..Lil Baby nice too!

Last edited:
My thing is nobody ever asks how NYC one of the biggest media cities ever has no rapper under 35 that sounds like an NY rapper. Old head complain but Asap Rocky and like young ma the last NYC artists I remember.

There’s no classically sounding NYC rappers anymore but I can always tell a NY nigga is rapping by his accent and tone

Ice Spice for example I knew was a BX chick as soon as I heard her voice…Pop Smoke was obvious too

My thing is nobody ever asks how NYC one of the biggest media cities ever has no rapper under 35 that sounds like an NY rapper. Old head complain but Asap Rocky and like young ma the last NYC artists I remember.

Ever heard that chick "scar lip"? That's some BX shit to the fullest.

Yes I agree it’s lame as hell how the south trashed rap music, thanks for agreeing with me.

Why east coast rap couldn’t comeback. Possibly the biggest market in the US for everything but all the rappers weak now. You pretty much saying South had the biggest impact in hip hop culture.

Why east coast rap couldn’t comeback. Possibly the biggest market in the US for everything but all the rappers weak now. You pretty much saying South had the biggest impact in hip hop culture.
To me, NYC got froze out. I think people looked at New York as a hotbed for rap, but people remember what they deemed to be a hatred for the south from east coast artists.

What would one consider bars to be?

Pimp C to me can spit with the best of them.
Bars to Southern ,West and Mid West fans are looked at different from maybe some cats up North

Pimp can say I'm up early cuz I don't sell dope after night time.
That's a bar to most fans down south and in other places because it's a true statement that many cats can talk about. Something that fits the lifestyle of the listener.

Juvie can say, you can fuck my bitch, let me fuck yo bitch, I don't love that bitch, I don't trust that bitch. This is a bar that was said a lot when it was heard.

I think bars to most fans outside of NY are true statements that can be related to one's lifestyle or a lifestyle that they heard about. They can see the imagine while listening to the bar which makes the bar, or bars stand out to the listener.

To me, I think NY cats place more details, deep metaphor on subjects. A NY cat can rap about a house and in the rap, he or she may state the kind of wood the house was made out of, the size of the sheet rock, the amount of roof material that was provided to have the roof installed. The roofing company etc lol that mfer may even state something along the lines of the color of the house being pink and white as a flamingo on a late NY summer evening.

A West coast, southern, Midwest rapper, the majority of them in the 90s and early 2000 ain't saying all that shit in his rap, mfer, I got a big house with an 8 car garage and pool. That's all that they would give us, and we can be ok with that as long as the shit is on a jamming beat.

That's why cats use to get mad at CMR lol, all they rap about is stunting and flashy cars. Them niggas made NY rappers find the hummer dealership, dayum near every NY rapper had a hummer in their video after Baby and BG pulled up in one lol

But CMR rapped about what niggas in the South and other areas not named NY did.
No heavy bars, just simple basic understanding of lyrics that the fans can digest.

Lol, them NY cats were mad, man all they rap about is jewelry lol smh.

When baby say I'm the nigga with 2 watches or I'll bet 25k to your cable bill nigga, lol that to us, we'll me, is a bar.

NY cats may not understand it but you ain't living with those dreams and aspirations lol

I'll address this from a different angle. Putting aside that, as several people have already shown, the South has and has always had good lyricists, people do realize that fans of Southern Hip Hop don't just listen solely to Southern Hip Hop, right? People in the South liked Nas, Biggie, Jay, DMX, Busta, etc... too. Just because a lot of people down south love party or trunk rattle music doesn't mean they can't appreciate other forms of HipHop. So, long story short, the answer to the question at hand is

That's why cats use to get mad at CMR lol, all they rap about is stunting and flashy cars. Them niggas made NY rappers find the hummer dealership, dayum near every NY rapper had a hummer in their video after Baby and BG pulled up in one lol

But CMR rapped about what niggas in the South and other areas not named NY did.
No heavy bars, just simple basic understanding of lyrics that the fans can digest.

Lol, them NY cats were mad, man all they rap about is jewelry lol smh.

When baby say I'm the nigga with 2 watches or I'll bet 25k to your cable bill nigga, lol that to us, we'll me, is a bar.

NY cats may not understand it but you ain't living with those dreams and aspirations lol

Lol son materialistic rap was ALWAYS a thing in NY…we loved the dirty South culture and what they brought to the table…I shake my head at people who simply don’t get that

It’s like y’all forgot Biggie was rapping about similar shit…NY rap in the 90’s was full of materialism. The South added onto it and we EMBRACED it

Frustrations were mainly towards music execs tryna use rap to get a quick check in the mid-late 90’s without really having any credentials as an Emcee

You know how many NY niggas HATED seeing and hearing Diddy rap??? People in NY hated Diddy probably more than any other coast

Lol son materialistic rap was ALWAYS a thing in NY…we loved the dirty South culture and what they brought to the table…I shake my head at people who simply don’t get that

It’s like y’all forgot Biggie was rapping about similar shit…NY rap in the 90’s was full of materialism. The South added onto it and we EMBRACED it

Frustrations were mainly towards music execs tryna use rap to get a quick check in the mid-late 90’s without really having any credentials as an Emcee

You know how many NY niggas HATED seeing and hearing Diddy rap??? People in NY hated Diddy probably more than any other coast
Exactly. Diddy wasn’t embraced in rap music as a rapper like that, you embrace him from the executive standpoint and the people he was around. He brought in a shiny suit era that DMX needed to come out with get at me dog in order to conquer it. Look at sunshine by Jay Z, that was a shiny video. Look at Nothing Move But The Money by Mic Geronimo. Another glossy video. It is what it is

Exactly. Diddy wasn’t embraced in rap music as a rapper like that, you embrace him from the executive standpoint and the people he was around. He brought in a shiny suit era that DMX needed to come out with get at me dog in order to conquer it. Look at sunshine by Jay Z, that was a shiny video. Look at Nothing Move But The Money by Mic Geronimo. Another glossy video. It is what it is

Facts….but even before the shiny suit era cats from the 80’s was still talking about their shines and materials gains…it just wasn’t as “forced” I guess or it had to equate to how good the music sounded

Facts….but even before the shiny suit era cats from the 80’s was still talking about their shines and materials gains…it just wasn’t as “forced” I guess or it had to equate to how good the music sounded

I mean the first big rap song ever niggas was bragging about cars and big screen tvs. Hip hop is like anything else in America...caught up in materialism

A few bars here and there is what NY cats used to rap about. Cats down here CMR made whole songs about it.
Song after song. That's why I said those NY cats, maybe not you but some were saying that's all they rap about is flossing and 20s here and there.

A Big Tymer album had more bars about flossing than anything.

I never said NY cats didn't rap about flossing. A few bars here and there on a song and then on to another subject matter vs CMR rapping every other bar about it is not the same to me.

As I said, nobody before CMR used hummers in their videos.

All they rap about is jewelry etc. Baby and nem doubled down on it and kept doing it until every NY rapper had to make it a point to rap about it in every other bar.

20s and 22 inches was first heard in songs bars by who? Cats in NY or Cats down south?

No Biggie and Baby are not the same. CMR and Biggie are not on the same level when it comes to rapping about flossing. CMR. That's 80% of their rhymes. Biggie 10% maybe.
Big difference, not the same to me.
Your top NY MCs, put them all together with them rapping about flossing and it won't add up to CMR bars.
That's my point I am making. CMR was told that is all they rap about. Noone said this about any NY rapper ever

That's what I am talking about

Last edited:
A few bars here and there is what NY cats used to rap about. Cats down here CMR made whole songs about it.
Song after song. That's why I said those NY cats, maybe not you but some were saying that's all they rap about is flossing and 20s here and there.

A Big Tymer album had more bars about flossing than anything.

I never said NY cats didn't rap about flossing. A few bars here and there on a song and then on to another subject matter vs CMR rapping every other bar about it is not the same to me.

As I said, nobody before CMR used hummers in their videos.

All they rap about is jewelry etc. Baby and nem doubled down on it and kept doing it until every NY rapper had to make it a point to rap about it in every other bar.

20s and 22 inches was first heard in songs bars by who? Cats in NY or Cats down south?

No Biggie and Baby are not the same. CMR and Biggie are not on the same level when it comes to rapping about flossing. CMR. That's 80% of their rhymes. Biggie 10% maybe.
Big difference, not the same to me.
Your top NY MCs, put them all together with them rapping about flossing and it won't add up to CMR bars.
That's my point I am making. CMR was told that is all they rap about. Noone said this about any NY rapper ever

That's what I am talking about

I’m not denying the influence the south had on all of that…they definitely did.

I’m just saying money and materialism was always a hip hop theme since the 80’s…niggas been rapping on Yachts and talking about Jeeps, Benz, Beamers, frontin like Nino Brown and wearing designer clothes for the longest which made niggas wanna buy them more…this is BEFORE the south got big

But by the mid-late 90’s Hip Hop became a heavy tool in mainstream media ALL across the board and niggas was really starting to get rich other than by just rapping…truthfully I think the south caught strays because they were seen as rising in popularity at the time and they were getting a lot of media attention.

I’m not denying the influence the south had on all of that…they definitely did.

I’m just saying money and materialism was always a hip hop theme since the 80’s…niggas been rapping on Yachts and talking about Jeeps, Benz, Beamers, frontin like Nino Brown and wearing designer clothes for the longest which made niggas wanna buy them more…this is BEFORE the south got big

But by the mid-late 90’s Hip Hop became a heavy tool in mainstream media ALL across the board and niggas was really starting to get rich other than by just rapping…truthfully I think the south caught strays because they were seen as rising in popularity at the time and they were getting a lot of media attention.
Bingo

Another thing about this topic, game, we more so gravitate to "game" that is being kicked in certain songs and we can perceive those lyrics as heavy bars

Tela - Sho Nuff. The average NY wouldn't even consider Tela spitting on that song, but a southerner, west coast cat or Midwest cat would tell you that Tela is spitting or dropping game all throughout that song

Ball and G, that coming out album was hard. Game was being spitted all throughout that album.
Game is not all about pimping and macking etc it could be about game on how to avoid setups, jack moves, pulling capers, flossing, getting money. Etc.
Southerner rappers and west coast/midwest rappers lay out those incidentals very simple and basic. A NY rapper may lay out this game in many ways with other things to have you thinking a bit which can be more witty and slick than another rapper from another coast.

Many would say Ice T don't spit but he spits. Another person that gets overlooked is Too Short.

Too Short spits bars but not the kind that will wild a NY cat.

I'm about to pull akickdoe - C Murder
Pimp C on that verse is one of the greatest he spit. Rapped by many but those lyrics ain't really deep, it's more of the so call "game" or message that resonate with the listeners

That BS Budden talking is more stupid egotistical up north fuckery. How the hell cam helped Wayne when Wayne's career reached levels 10x of the whole dip set. Dude bars matter now and mattered back then. Bars just not enough down here. Cause Budden can rap his ass off but can't make good songs. You gotta know how to make good songs. 50 is the biggest artists to debut from NY in the last 25yrs. He is not lyrical when compared to let's say Banks or Fab. But he could make a hit record

Back