Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Do Southern HipHop Fans Care About Bars?

test
I don't think it's "bars" per se, I think it's their accents.

Southern rappers rap with Southern accents. I'm from up North. I've spent most of my years in Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey, people pronounce words differently up here.

Southern Rappers have accents that sound unnatural to my ears. Not saying that's good or bad but it just sounds different. I prefer Northern East Coast accents. That's my personal preference.

50 was chatting pretty heavy. So was Jay. Fabolous charted great with his first 3 albums during this time too. Cam going platinum. Juelz and Jim Jones with big hit albums and singles. Even extending outside of NY to just east coast in general you had State Property which is a heavy east coast sound. There were plenty of non southern rappers who were successful not using southern music.
50 in my opinion didn't abandon his sound to sound like a southern rapper, he did however abandoned his sound to take ja rules lane.

I'm not talking about the Jay's and 50s but the other acts who were getting squeezed out at the labels cause they were told to make music like the South or risk getting their projects shelved

I don't think it's "bars" per se, I think it's their accents.

Southern rappers rap with Southern accents. I'm from up North. I've spent most of my years in Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey, people pronounce words differently up here.

Southern Rappers have accents that sound unnatural to my ears. Not saying that's good or bad but it just sounds different. I prefer Northern East Coast accents. That's my personal preference.
🫤

There's no way you put Lil Wayne and Chief Keef together...that's the silly shit that makes your argument taken less seriously
Come on now bruh im talking about influence that changed rap based on dude post. Lil Wayne was a major influence, after him Chief Keef and Future. Also Migos major influence to today's rap. Thats what im talking about

Three Six Mafia- triplet flow that laid the foundation for the flow patterns alot of rappers from all regions use today. And the production influence of Juicy J and DJ Paul is also still seen today

Outkast- self explanatory as a group

Dungeon Family- can't deny the impact of this production team

Jermaine Dupri- there's no Atlanta hip hop without his sound

Scarface- lyricist and production on his own music, topic matters as rappers and mental health topics wasn't a thing til he started rapping about it
So in your opinion, most people with sense see Juicy J and Paul Wall as Greatest of All Time lyricists in rap? As in, better than the Wu Tang Clan? NWA, Public Enemy? Paul Wall is more lyrical than Biggie Smalls?

OutKast is set in stone.

I don’t think Jermaine Dupree is one of rap’s greatest lyricists of all time.

Dungeon Family is not a lyricist, it’s a hip hop collective that includes the two people you named already.

Here’s Scarface’s (Who I think is the greatest Southern rapper of all time.) Top 5.

Facts is facts, man.. this is like going to Mecca and telling them the five percenters said you shouldn’t walk around a false idol.

I equate bars to bars fam. Bars is lyrics that make me feel something. It doesnt have to be crazy technical. Scarface aint technical, but I listened to more Scarface in the 2000s than almost any rapper from the north east cause he got bars.

When you hear bars, you either know its bars or its not.

The South got some rappers that got bars, but for the most part, nah. And the fans dont care.

Which is ok.
wtf_talking_about_wolf_of_wallstreet.gif

Complex rhymes don't mean better. DMX wasn't a complex rapper in terms of multis, punch lines, etc but his rhymes still hit hard. Shit most rappers folks have as the best aren't the super technical rappers.

People over complicate “lyricism”

To me, Scarface and KRS-ONE are one of the two greatest lyricists to have ever lived and they were very simple in their style

The term “lyrical miracle” by rap geeks is what made people think saying a bunch of big ass multi syllabic words somehow made you “better”

50 in my opinion didn't abandon his sound to sound like a southern rapper, he did however abandoned his sound to take ja rules lane.

I'm not talking about the Jay's and 50s but the other acts who were getting squeezed out at the labels cause they were told to make music like the South or risk getting their projects shelved

But NY music influences was still heavy too during that time. You can hear it in the rhyme schemes being used. Cam, Fab and a host of other NY mixtape rappers definitely had their stamp on that time too with their flows and schemes being used. And you can still hear that today too.

So in your opinion, most people with sense see Juicy J and Paul Wall as Greatest of All Time lyricists in rap? As in, better than the Wu Tang Clan? NWA, Public Enemy? Paul Wall is more lyrical than Biggie Smalls?

OutKast is set in stone.

I don’t think Jermaine Dupree is one of rap’s greatest lyricists of all time.

Dungeon Family is not a lyricist, it’s a hip hop collective that includes the two people you named already.

Here’s Scarface’s (Who I think is the greatest Southern rapper of all time.) Top 5.

Facts is facts, man.. this is like going to Mecca and telling them the five percenters said you shouldn’t walk around a false idol.

Look at the qualities I listed...then look at what you just said. I clearly said more than lyrical because we've already agreed that simply packing a bunch of rhymes doesn't make a better MC. But even if you wanna boil it down to simply lyrics then you got Big Boi, Face, MJG, 8Ball, Bun B, Trick Daddy, Wayne, Juvenile, BG, TI, Dro, and a bunch of others who can give you the rapping just to rap bars you want.

ice-cube-yes-71ebuxqo2hbyab32.gif

The fact that people feel the need to still have this conversation about the south annoys me. I thought we were past that.
Just another thread to tell us that hip hop in the South is dumb except for OurKast.
And all the South people are slow and dumb also.
As somebody who loves hip hop from everywhere, it pisses me off.
I'd swing on some of these niggas in person.

Just another thread to tell us that hip hop in the South is dumb except for OurKast.
And all the South people are slow and dumb also.
As somebody who loves hip hop from everywhere, it pisses me off.
I'd swing on some of these niggas in person.

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have a biased view when it came to rap growing up on the east coast. However you can’t not listen to a lot of these dudes from the south & not appreciate the shit for what it is. Nevermind the fact that… the east has had its fair share of meh acts come out. You watch Rap City back in the day religiously like I did and you catch a lot of also rans in between them Biggie & Nas videos. There’s wack acts no matter the region. Current day hip hop honestly is about as close to a region less culture as it’s ever been. Having this mindset is really going backwards.

My thing is nobody ever asks how NYC one of the biggest media cities ever has no rapper under 35 that sounds like an NY rapper. Old head complain but Asap Rocky and like young ma the last NYC artists I remember.

This would be true if your argument is "there's only fine women in NY" when there's fine women everywhere. It's also funny you say rap music was at its peak 20 years ago because 20 years ago was 2004 and folks were loudly already complaining about how the south killed rap music. Folks don't care about NY loving their rappers or considering them better. It's the "they're better simply because they're from NY and no non NY rapper can ever be good" attitude thar was annoying

Watch it fam….fine don’t mean tha same everywhere

:hahaha:

Back