Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Do Southern HipHop Fans Care About Bars?

test
Complex rhymes don't mean better. DMX wasn't a complex rapper in terms of multis, punch lines, etc but his rhymes still hit hard. Shit most rappers folks have as the best aren't the super technical rappers.
I agree with you 100%.

Snoop Dogg is just as lyrical as Raekwon..Kurupt might be too, but not in the same way Snoop is..You see?

Wu’s MGM was just as lyrical as Krit’s Blue Flame Lounge but what’s ultimately true is, there’s a skill set you pointed to that ties these things together. it’s not about packin da mac in da back of da Ac, it’s about content and complexity of thought, of idea, of concept; Southern artistry has consistently neglected that in favor of bubblegum. This explains why nobody says GOAT and South together,

Thats also why Jeru Da Damaja or Canibus isn’t a goat lyricist OR rapper but Nas is..it’s not about stacking rhyming words.

No they don’t on a mainstream level but there are real hip hop heads they just don’t outweigh the local sound or taste.

When I say bar I mean a set up /punchline or clever/witty statement in a 2 to 4 bar time structure.

Usually similes and metaphors are simpler and not meant to amaze.

The average southern rapper is more concerned with rapping about life or a lifestyle or making ppl dance than try to make ppl dissect complex lyrics.

I live in the south so I grew up going against the grain and felt the consequences doing music .

I agree with you 100%.

Snoop Dogg is just as lyrical as Raekwon..Kurupt might be too, but not in the same way Snoop is..You see?

Wu’s MGM was just as lyrical as Krit’s Blue Flame Lounge but what’s ultimately true is, there’s a skill set you pointed to that ties these things together. it’s not about packin da mac in da back of da Ac, it’s about content and complexity of thought, of idea, of concept; Southern artistry has consistently neglected that in favor of bubblegum. This explains why nobody says GOAT and South together,

Thats also why Jeru Da Damaja or Canibus isn’t a goat lyricist OR rapper but Nas is..it’s not about stacking rhyming words.

And southern artists have consistently displayed that as well as pushing the sound forward as well in terms of flows and delivery and song writing/structure. There's a few GOAT quality southern MCs and everyone with sense acknowledges them.

One of my biggest issues with this entire topic, is that people act as if New Yorkers was not supposed to have an elitist attitude to a degree. Why should I check for a woman who lives in Georgia, if there’s attractive woman in the tri-state area? I apply that same logic to rap music. What’s the point of going down to Georgia to maybe find a great rapper, when I could find one in the area? 20 something years ago, rap music to me was at its peak in terms of lyrics as well as the image. Today, we have a bunch of dudes who really can’t rap that nice on a popular mainstream level. Dudes really watched the game get watered down to where folks bars, technical skill and ability folded

The South got weak bars for the most part and thats ok. Good music is good music. But if we talking strictly bars, yea you can name 10 artists/groups from a 2000 mile radius that got bars, but overall the South dont got bars.

Do y'all equate bars to lyrics that drop gems?

Do y'all equate bars to lyrics that drop gems?
I equate bars to bars fam. Bars is lyrics that make me feel something. It doesnt have to be crazy technical. Scarface aint technical, but I listened to more Scarface in the 2000s than almost any rapper from the north east cause he got bars.

When you hear bars, you either know its bars or its not.

The South got some rappers that got bars, but for the most part, nah. And the fans dont care.

Which is ok.

One of my biggest issues with this entire topic, is that people act as if New Yorkers was not supposed to have an elitist attitude to a degree. Why should I check for a woman who lives in Georgia, if there’s attractive woman in the tri-state area? I apply that same logic to rap music. What’s the point of going down to Georgia to maybe find a great rapper, when I could find one in the area? 20 something years ago, rap music to me was at its peak in terms of lyrics as well as the image. Today, we have a bunch of dudes who really can’t rap that nice on a popular mainstream level. Dudes really watched the game get watered down to where folks bars, technical skill and ability folded

This would be true if your argument is "there's only fine women in NY" when there's fine women everywhere. It's also funny you say rap music was at its peak 20 years ago because 20 years ago was 2004 and folks were loudly already complaining about how the south killed rap music. Folks don't care about NY loving their rappers or considering them better. It's the "they're better simply because they're from NY and no non NY rapper can ever be good" attitude thar was annoying

And southern artists have consistently displayed that as well as pushing the sound forward as well in terms of flows and delivery and song writing/structure. There's a few GOAT quality southern MCs and everyone with sense acknowledges them.
Gimme some southern rap acts that consistently display that and are recognized by everyone with sense as being Goat status.I’m curious.

Let’s say 5.

This would be true if your argument is "there's only fine women in NY" when there's fine women everywhere. It's also funny you say rap music was at its peak 20 years ago because 20 years ago was 2004 and folks were loudly already complaining about how the south killed rap music. Folks don't care about NY loving their rappers or considering them better. It's the "they're better simply because they're from NY and no non NY rapper can ever be good" attitude thar was annoying
2004 rap music was still largely New York City based. Yes fine women are everywhere but why should you search outside your area if there is fine women around you?

Truth is, the south is largely responsible for the ushering of rap music and the dynamics that led to it being what it is today: Less talent based. They’ve been doing trap music for about two decades.

2004 rap music was still largely New York City based. Yes fine women are everywhere but why should you search outside your area if there is fine women around you?

Truth is, the south is largely responsible for the ushering of rap music and the dynamics that led to it being what it is today: Less talent based. They’ve been doing trap music for about two decades.
Thats facts

From Lil Wayne to Chief Keef / Future to the artist of today

And Migos influence

Or you could blame the NY rappers who abandoned their own style. Remember "why they all mad at the south for/switch your style up and go south paw". If the NY hold was as strong as folks say then the south doing their own thing shouldn't have made NY rappers abandon their own.

Or you could blame the NY rappers who abandoned their own style. Remember "why they all mad at the south for/switch your style up and go south paw". If the NY hold was as strong as folks say then the south doing their own thing shouldn't have made NY rappers abandon their own.
They compromised their sound for the bag cause that shit wasn't charting

Gimme some southern rap acts that consistently display that and are recognized by everyone with sense as being Goat status.I’m curious.

Let’s say 5.

Three Six Mafia- triplet flow that laid the foundation for the flow patterns alot of rappers from all regions use today. And the production influence of Juicy J and DJ Paul is also still seen today

Outkast- self explanatory as a group

Dungeon Family- can't deny the impact of this production team

Jermaine Dupri- there's no Atlanta hip hop without his sound

Scarface- lyricist and production on his own music, topic matters as rappers and mental health topics wasn't a thing til he started rapping about it

They compromised their sound for the bag cause that shit wasn't charting

50 was chatting pretty heavy. So was Jay. Fabolous charted great with his first 3 albums during this time too. Cam going platinum. Juelz and Jim Jones with big hit albums and singles. Even extending outside of NY to just east coast in general you had State Property which is a heavy east coast sound. There were plenty of non southern rappers who were successful not using southern music.

Back