Welcome To aBlackWeb

Dave Chappelle against affordable housing in his neighborhood

What you mean the right side this?

Only a fraction of the space was for "affordable housing" and judging by how much that affordable housing was, I would hardly call it that.

Meaning that his actions had nothing to do with trying to deny people affordable housing, and might have instead been more about going against corporate bullshit and their flawed development plans.

the NYT did the best coverage of this.

The development company like most greedy ones will get contracts allotments for affordable housing and NEVER BUILD THEM. They build condo's and high rises.

The company dave was against was going to do the same and Dave didnt want them to bring that into his town. He wants it to keep the same old rustic feel, and would hurt all stuff he has done for the town.

Capitalist vs Capitalist in this instance but ill side with dave since he actually putting money in the town like building a school and stuff.

The development company like most greedy ones will get contracts allotments for affordable housing and NEVER BUILD THEM. They build condo's and high rises.

The company dave was against was going to do the same and Dave didnt want them to bring that into his town. He wants it to keep the same old rustic feel, and would hurt all stuff he has done for the town.

Capitalist vs Capitalist in this instance but ill side with dave since he actually putting money in the town like building a school and stuff.

A lot of these Progressive outlets were lighting Dave up for this. I want to see how many of them actually pull back or apologize for their hasty commentary.

That shit really matter to folks.

Its a reason some folks move to certain areas for the culture. I can give examples just from NOLA on how they trying to change the fabric of the culture with what new folks trying to do.

It is affordable housing. You get a home built from the ground up in a brand new subdivision for under $250,000? That’s affordable housing. Especially with the rise of home prices. You couldn’t pay me to think that’s not affordable housing. Affordable housing isn’t always a apartment taking 30% of your income.

I read the NYPOST article you posted and it links to this

The village and Oberer had worked together to produce a plan that would include duplexes and affordable housing along with single-family homes in a 53-acre area along Spillan Road at the south edge of town.

The village initially asked for the development to advance affordable housing in the village, including an area that the village would later be able to develop into affordable housing, as well as more duplexes and townhomes.

But Monday night, after complaints from numerous residents, including comedian Dave Chappelle, village council voted 2-2 with one member recusing himself on the revised “planned unit development” zoning.

That means the zoning reverts to what was previously approved, with 143 single-family homes on the lot, with the homes starting at about $300,000, according to village documents. The village annexed about 34 acres of the land into the village last summer.

The development that council voted on Monday night would have included 64 single-family homes, 52 duplexes and 24 townhomes with an additional 1.75 acres to be donated to the community for affordable housing to be built later.

According to the article Chapelle was AGAINST the development being mixed. He didn’t want the duplexes and townhomes to be built with 64 homes. He didn’t want the 1.75 acres to be donated to the MORE housing. He was in SUPPORT of 143 homes STARTING at $300,000. With no affordable housing and no land to be given to the city for more development.

The article also had this

One resident, Matthew Kirk, a member of the citizen’s board who worked on the project, said he was initially excited but his view later “soured.” He argued that the plan was really two projects rather than one: a single-family home development next to a condo development.

“I think it’s important to kind of understand the framing and also understand how those products attract different homebuyers,” Kirk said.

What do you think Matthew Kirk meant by”those products (townhomes,duplexes,affordable housing) attract different homebuyers?

250K is not affordable housing in this economy. Plus getting something built comes with many stipulations.

$250,000 is affordable housing to lots of people of all races. And it’s brand new? Could you imagine telling someone in San Diego you are going to sell them a new home in a new subdivision for $250,000? That’s a $1000 a month mortgage with taxes and insurance. That’s not affordable? FHA is 5%. That’s $12,000 down payment on a brand new home. Not including any other credits like first time homebuyers. City and states offer down payment assistance to.

What are we talking about?

1.75 acres to be donated to the community for affordable housing to be built later.

Bruh and some of the residents dont want to see their small city turned into some standard suburb with no real plan.

Schooling, sewage etc....

Wouldn't this project end raising the property taxes of the residents?

Because thats how gentrification starts to get folks out

It is affordable housing. You get a home built from the ground up in a brand new subdivision for under $250,000? That’s affordable housing. Especially with the rise of home prices. You couldn’t pay me to think that’s not affordable housing. Affordable housing isn’t always a apartment taking 30% of your income.

The village and Oberer had worked together to produce a plan that would include duplexes and affordable housing along with single-family homes in a 53-acre area along Spillan Road at the south edge of town.

The village initially asked for the development to advance affordable housing in the village, including an area that the village would later be able to develop into affordable housing, as well as more duplexes and townhomes.

But Monday night, after complaints from numerous residents, including comedian Dave Chappelle, village council voted 2-2 with one member recusing himself on the revised “planned unit development” zoning.

That means the zoning reverts to what was previously approved, with 143 single-family homes on the lot, with the homes starting at about $300,000, according to village documents. The village annexed about 34 acres of the land into the village last summer.

The development that council voted on Monday night would have included 64 single-family homes, 52 duplexes and 24 townhomes with an additional 1.75 acres to be donated to the community for affordable housing to be built later.

According to the article Chapelle was AGAINST the development being mixed. He didn’t want the duplexes and townhomes to be built with 64 homes. He didn’t want the 1.75 acres to be donated to the MORE housing. He was in SUPPORT of 143 homes STARTING at $300,000. With no affordable housing and no land to be given to the city for more development.

One resident, Matthew Kirk, a member of the citizen’s board who worked on the project, said he was initially excited but his view later “soured.” He argued that the plan was really two projects rather than one: a single-family home development next to a condo development.

“I think it’s important to kind of understand the framing and also understand how those products attract different homebuyers,” Kirk said.

What do you think Matthew Kirk meant by”those products (townhomes,duplexes,affordable housing) attract different homebuyers?

Bruh, go read up on it. Less than 2 acres were designated for affordable housing, and even that wasn't guaranteed as the land was set aside for the future and wasn't even going to be developed by the company that Dave is objecting to. So the whole narrative about him being against affordable housing is a lie. That was not what the contention was about. The major issue with the settlement is that the locals believe it will fundamentally change to community and basically erase everything that people like about living there. Dave is particularly invested since he's donated money to keeping businesses afloat during the pandemic and is funding a bunch of new development in the area. Also, people are making it seem like Dave single handedly did this when all the fair sources state that lots of residents in the area were against the development.

And with all due respect, I don't care whether you think 250K is affordable or not. The point is that people in that area who know more about the financial situations of the people there say it's not affordable. And I just bought a home in a new neighborhood like that. It was priced at 375 and we ended up spending 420 because those homes usually come stripped down and you have to pay a little extra for damn near everything.

Also, something that no news outlet is really talking about is that this development is basically happening in Dave's backyard and that the development company has basically been using picture's of Dave's house to market the upcoming development. That's not that important for the debate, but it could explain some of why he's so annoyed by all of this.

Bruh, go read up on it. Less than 2 acres were designated for affordable housing, and even that wasn't guaranteed as the land was set aside for the future and wasn't even going to be developed by the company that Dave is objecting to. So the whole narrative about him being against affordable housing is a lie. That was not what the contention was about. The major issue with the settlement is that the locals believe it will fundamentally change to community and basically erase everything that people like about living there. Dave is particularly invested since he's donated money to keeping businesses afloat during the pandemic and is funding a bunch of new development in the area. Also, people are making it seem like Dave single handedly did this when all the fair sources state that lots of residents in the area were against the development.

And with all due respect, I don't care whether you think 250K is affordable or not. The point is that people in that area who know more about the financial situations of the people there say it's not affordable. And I just bought a home in a new neighborhood like that. It was priced at 375 and we ended up spending 420 because those homes usually come stripped down and you have to pay a little extra for damn near everything.

Also, something that no news outlet is really talking about is that this development is basically happening in Dave's backyard and that the development company has basically been using picture's of Dave's house to market the upcoming development. That's not that important for the debate, but it could explain some of why he's so annoyed by all of this.

Racism (because that could be a reason) aside the bolded matters a lot to me. Its happening where I live and its happening where I grew up

I copied and pasted the entire article that the NYPOST references. Dave wanted single family homes.. he did not want the mixed development.

Ok, but just because an article says that's the reason doesn't mean its the only reason. Dave and his people have put out a statement that goes deeper into it all. It's not just him wanting single family homes. The problem is that the whole development plan is half baked.

Racism (because that could be a reason) aside the bolded matters a lot to me. Its happening where I live and its happening where I grew up

Yep, my parents live in a small town in SC that has a feel and culture that everyone there loves. It's so nice that people have been steadily moving to the area, which was not a problem until big corporations starting pushing new development plans that would basically destroy everything that people actually liked about the area.

Ok, but just because an article says that's the reason doesn't mean its the only reason. Dave and his people have put out a statement that goes deeper into it all. It's not just him wanting single family homes. The problem is that the whole development plan is half baked.

Yep, my parents live in a small town in SC that has a feel and culture that everyone there loves. It's so nice that people have been steadily moving to the area, which was not a problem until big corporations starting pushing new development plans that would basically destroy everything that people actually liked about the area.

Him and others wanting to keep it single family homes is something I can understand. Like they want the visual of the community to look a certain when it comes to how the housing.

Its their community and should have a say on it.

I live in Ohio only a few hours away from where Dave lives. $250K is not affordable housing in that area. It's not.

Also that community does not even have a school so by having no school there's no incentive for young people to move their family there. So you're eliminating a large section of people. Young people with kids have no incentive to move there. So who exactly is going to move to Yellow Springs and live in a $350K condo? Most likely younger white "progressive" types.

I’m saying exactly what Dave wanted . 143 single family homes that will start at $300,000. The article even says the homes will go up about $100,000 more since there will be no townhomes or duplexes or future site for affordable housing.

@Dwayne talking about gentrification and property taxes.. the property value is already jumping
$100,000 by voting against the duplexes town homes and the idea of future affordable housing.

The median price of a home in that area is $219,000 they were going to build new homes for $250,000. Even if it was 3 so what? The duplexes and townhomes would have be cheaper then that.

In 2019, Yellow Springs, OH had a population of 3.87k people with a median age of 49.7 and a median household income of $61,522. Between 2018 and 2019 the population of Yellow Springs, OH grew from 3,858 to 3,872, a 0.363% increase and its median household income declined from $64,413 to $61,522, a −4.49% decrease.
The 5 largest ethnic groups in Yellow Springs, OH are White (Non-Hispanic) (79.7%), Black or African American (Non-Hispanic) (11.7%), Two+ (Non-Hispanic) (3.62%), White (Hispanic) (2.66%), and Asian (Non-Hispanic) (1.29%). 0% of the households in Yellow Springs, OH speak a non-English language at home as their primary language

Dave did not want affordable housing in his neighborhood. That is a fact.

The guy who helped developed the plan himself said the duplexes, townhomes, affordable housing would attract a different type of buyer. Everyone is skipping over that. If this was Kanye they’d be calling him a coon right now.

You said a bunch of nothing here.

Dave came out and said he was never against affordable housing and also @Los216 made some good points which I already pointed out as well.

250k is not affordable housing. Lets not bring that up again

The whole median income is skewed by Dave being counted in there

So now I realize you’re not serious. You really think building half million dollar homes will not raise everyone property value and taxes. We not even having the same discussion.

Why are talking about raising the value?

They wouldnt care at all and would sell their home since the value went up which is irrelevant when it comes to high property taxes.

How are you even confusing this?

Only people that care about the value of thie hoe is the people looking to sell so this would be something they would be in favor for. They dont give a fuck about that and you can tell from how they voted and the community feel about it

Back