Welcome To aBlackWeb

Classic or Nah Vol 18: UGK - Ridin Dirty

Classic or Nah?

• Total voters
Man that is true ass hell. When Pimp verse comes on then everybody in the club will recite his lyrics like the song came out yesterday. Usually any UGK song feature that pop off in the club & everybody repeat Pimp's verse. Break'em Off is another example. Niggas can't wait until Pimp's part comes up. Another thing about the Big Pimpin video is that Pimp had just bought that Benz either the day before or same day as the video shoot then he knocked down Gloria after the video lol

What your hood playing, that's need to be a thread where we breakdown the truth about things. We need to really dive deep into these albums and rappers and tell how things "really" were down here.

I have yet to see niggas mention Mystikal in the King of South thread or any thread on here and that nigga ran shit believe or not.

Like we really need to dive into music,

I have to disagree folk, UGK had their own fan-base already. How did it help UGK when East Coast niggas still today don't play UGK?

UGK fan-base is the South and the West coast, sprinkle in Midwest, so how did Jay-Z help UGK?

Jay was a star in the East Coast eyes, we respected him as an East Coast rapper, but niggas down here wasn't running out to the Circuit City picking up Jay's album when he dropped until UGK came through with the feature.

Take Pimp C and Bun off that song and the majority of niggas in the south don't fuck wit him.

Truth be told,

Could you name a CD that J.D. made that touched the hood/streets?
Jay went gold in '96, platinum in '98 with Vol 1 and Vol 2. I would have to waver that some of those sales had to have came from the south. Jay Z was a superstar by the time Vol 3 came out. Dude was dropping hits and he even had the biggest tour of the year with the Roc a Fella/Ruff Ryder's tour, while selling out venues in the south. Meanwhile UGK may have had a following in the south. But Jay had a bigger audience nationwide and even overseas could UGK say that prior to Big Pimpin? Big Pimpin introduced UGK to a bigger audience. Using your logic for a second, Big Pimpin may have gotten a few southern audiences that wouldn't buy a Jay record that were UGK fans. To mess with Jay Z's music. But Big Pimpin introduced UGK to audiences all over the country that had no idea who they were.

I know what the real issue is though...

This shit is a classic.

I see why people refer to it as a regional classic because it was one of the most influential southern rap albums to date but I also think it can go toe to toe with other east/west coast classics.

I mean to me this album was perfect thru and thru

giphy.gif

Would be dope if there was a track by track breakdown from the perspective of people who were involved with this project.....RIP Pimp C......the track by track breakdown for 7 Day Theory, Aquemini, It Was Written, Life After Death, All Eyes on Me, Blueprint, etc were all dope and this one would be too

This album should never be mentioned with the albums u just named, ever

This is why the souf gets shitted on all the time smh

If I told ya cocaine numbers you would think I was lyin

Young ass niggas 22 and talkin bout they retiring

Yall posting a bunch of ignant nigga logic raps

how old are yall again?

Spending 70k on a.. man

Back