Welcome To aBlackWeb

Cardi B vs Funk Flex

Y'all still underestimate the power of radio. Like it or not, believe it or not, radio still drives the industry.

You don't need radio to break into the industry anymore, you can do that from your bedroom w a computer and some talent or gimmick. HOWEVER, radio can take you to superstar level. There is a difference between rappers only popping online vs. Rappers who got singles playing all day on the radio. Look at the niggas running rap now. J.cole, Kendrick and drake all had big online following at first. Then the minute them niggas got on majors and had their singles playing on radio nationwide, they was outta here. They went from famous to superstars

Yeah, but that's rap. You think Drake deserves to be the biggest name in rap? Is he really the most talented and deserving?

When it comes down to it, the audience determines who blows up and who doesn't. You can't hate on her because people like her music more than you think they should.

The cheat code is what determined who blows up and who doesn't. Payola. There's article after article written about this for well over a decade. The reason you hear that one garbage ass song over and over and over is because the label paid for that to happen; not because the people requested it like that. You drill it into the people's head that "this is hot" and it becomes hot.

The cheat code is what determined who blows up and who doesn't. Payola. There's article after article written about this for well over a decade. The reason you hear that one garbage ass song over and over and over is because the label paid for that to happen; not because the people requested it like that. You drill it into the people's head that "this is hot" and it becomes hot.

I feel what you say, and I do believe that there's some truth to it, but you can't just play any song 100 times a day and think it will blow up. She makes catchy shit that people like. Payola may have turned her into a mega star, but she still put in work.

I feel what you say, and I do believe that there's some truth to it, but you can't just play any song 100 times a day and think it will blow up. She makes catchy shit that people like. Payola may have turned her into a mega star, but she still put in work.

Dawg "Crank Dat" and "Laffy Taffy" were possibly the lowest points in hip hop... Everybody with sense said both of them was basura. But they got hella spins on the radio, a month later a lot of those same folks that said those songs were trash suddenly were dancing to the shit and bumpin it out the whip.

Come to think of it, Trinidad James' "All Gold Everything" was arguably worse. And you couldn't go anywhere without hearing it 'cause radio was saturated with it. Dude put ZERO work in. He admits he had never spit a bar until a few months before the shit came out.

Mere Exposure Effect:
The mere-exposure effect is a psychological phenomenon by which people tend to develop a preference for things merely because they are familiar with them. In social psychology, this effect is sometimes called the familiarity principle. The effect has been demonstrated with many kinds of things, including words, Chinese characters, paintings, pictures of faces, geometric figures, and sounds. In studies of interpersonal attraction, the more often a person is seen by someone, the more pleasing and likeable that person appears to be.

Dawg "Crank Dat" and "Laffy Taffy" were possibly the lowest points in hip hop... Everybody with sense said both of them was basura. But they got hella spins on the radio, a month later a lot of those same folks that said those songs were trash suddenly were dancing to the shit and bumpin it out the whip.

Come to think of it, Trinidad James' "All Gold Everything" was arguably worse. And you couldn't go anywhere without hearing it 'cause radio was saturated with it. Dude put ZERO work in. He admits he had never spit a bar until a few months before the shit came out.
Both were dance songs

That's no different from tag team and Tootsie roll back in the day

And just where are any of those acts you named today at? The "let's pay to make insert person here a star" shit doesn't really work...there's been artists who've already had a big name have singles flop because them shits is trash no matter how much radio play it gets. Yes radio still matters, but if your shit is trash then it's trash and paying to have it played won't make people like it more. Laffy Taffy and songs like that are "trash" if you looking for some legit good rap...majority of people that came to tolerate or even like it moreso liked the vibe of whatever party or club they were in when it got played and not the actual song.

She’s a culture vulture.

She don’t write her raps at all and nobody can vouch for her pen game.

Ain’t we against that?

We clown drake for having some help on some songs.

But we also got legends that the culture respect saying pen game is elite and wrote for ppl himself.

He’s not the best but he damn sure can rap

Last edited:
what does this being a woman have to do with the fact that she didn't earn that spot?

She didn't get that spot organically. What Flex is basically saying is that her music didn't pop because it was good, it popped off because they paid for it to happen. Remove the money and the chance of her being as big as she is drops dramatically.

Same for a lot of rappers we have on the radio now. It just happens to be her at the moment.

Cant we say that about like 98% of rap

Both were dance songs

That's no different from tag team and Tootsie roll back in the day

"Superman that hoe" vs "Whoomp, there it is"...are not identical in a music culture that a lot of women think purposefully demeans them...

"Superman that hoe" vs "Whoomp, there it is"...are not identical in a music culture that a lot of women think purposefully demeans them...
They are both dance/party songs regardless of content

You didn't hear jack from tag team after that and soulja is more known for that fake ass shootout story over his music

They are both dance/party songs regardless of content

You didn't hear jack from tag team after that and soulja is more known for that fake ass shootout story over his music

I've never heard about his shootout. I think you might be underestimating how big that song was outside of the US.

I've never heard about his shootout. I think you might be underestimating how big that song was outside of the US.
I'm saying, these one hit wonders or 15 min of Fame people usually fizzle out like they are meant to

If cardi keeps making good music, she'll be around. If get next couple of projects bomb, then it happened the way it was supposed to.

I'm saying, these one hit wonders or 15 min of Fame people usually fizzle out like they are meant to

If cardi keeps making good music, she'll be around. If get next couple of projects bomb, then it happened the way it was supposed to.

She aint making music

Culture Vulture

Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if she shares the same fate as Nicki: someone younger, with more buzz and relevance knocks her off the throne.

But you were still wrong about her music's content.

Back