Welcome To aBlackWeb

Black Panther director Ryan Coogler arrested after being mistaken for bank robber

You still missing it.

why do we as black people have to always seek other options?
The safest option so they won’t be scared.

So instead of this chick going the extra step to verify, the black customer needs to go the extra step preemptively to make her feel safe about him getting his money?

Am I the only one who sees this as an issue?
It's what you do when you go to a bank, nobody doing what he did. You're wrong

Why tf would he write it on a piece of paper?

Why not jus tell the bitch what he wanted.

Sit this one out, B.

The reason he ain't just tell her was written on the paper: 'I'm trying to be discreet'. You want a rich nigga to walk in the bank in the middle of Atlanta and say 'Hey ma, run back there and scoop ya boy 12 stacks. I'll be here waiting.'.

Nigga wouldn't have made it to the car before niggas was on him. Fuck outta here.

It would seem to me the safest way to conduct a transaction would be to just write it down. And specify exactly how much you want to withdraw right there on the form. And from which account. And tell her why you're writing it down instead of just saying it.

Oh wait...he did all that. And got the cops called on him.

Dawg there wasn’t even anything to ‘give him the benefit of the doubt' about. Literally the only thing out of the ordinary was that he wrote down what he wanted instead of saying it.

Nothing out of the ordinary these days about a person walking into a bank with sunglasses and a mask.
Nothing out of the ordinary about a nigga handing a teller a withdrawal slip.

And what type of bank robber goes into a bank asking for $12000 specifically? From their own account? Specifically their checking account? And what type of bank robber invites the teller to go elsewhere out of site and count the money, before returning, giving her the chance to call the cops, alert her boss, etc, etc, etc.

Fuck out here with niggas 'getting' how the mix up happened.

The teller reacted to a message on their screen alerting them to something. Plus if you're a teller you don't have 12k sitting in a drawer in front of you. You typically need to get the manager to go into the safe for that. Nobody is excusing the police being called because they shouldn't have been as it would've been easy to verify his identity but what people are saying is that looking at the situation in total its not hard to see why initially it would cause somebody to do a double take.

The teller reacted to a message on their screen alerting them to something. Plus if you're a teller you don't have 12k sitting in a drawer in front of you. You typically need to get the manager to go into the safe for that. Nobody is excusing the police being called because they shouldn't have been as it would've been easy to verify his identity but what people are saying is that looking at the situation in total its not hard to see why initially it would cause somebody to do a double take.

Where are you getting this from? The article I read oj the AJC read different than that.

But a double take isn't what I'm objecting to. So I guess we are in agreement.

And yeah if he wanted to be discreet then he should've went into a managers office and had them do the transaction. There's nothing discreet about withdrawing 12k in cash in line at the bank like a normal person. Hell depending on when he went in the bank may not have even had 12k there. I used to work as a teller, top 2 worst jobs I ever had, and we would have some customers call a day in advance if they wanted to withdraw a certain amount that would have to be put aside once the daily delivery came because alot of banks don't actually keep as much cash on hand as you think. Like I said it's a series of not smart decisions that led to this bullshit

The note did him in. Should have asked to speak with the relationship manager or the branch manager. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Probably woulda been best had he done that.. Just thought it was silly for folks to say he looked suspicious for wearing a face-mask and sunglasses like we arent still in a pandemic.

That being said...I wonder how the tellers typically treat folks that are mute or anyone else that might communicate with a note or a card..

How many times y’all think he has handed a note saying the exact same thing to a teller in the past?

Probably many times. How many times did he do it with that teller tho?

That's why if your dealing with that much loot and want discretion you go sit with the relationship manager or ask for the branch manager. Sit down in private and have them bring it to you.

Probably woulda been best had he done that.. Just thought it was silly for folks to say he looked suspicious for wearing a face-mask and sunglasses like we arent still in a pandemic.

That being said...I wonder how the tellers typically treat folks that are mute or anyone else that might communicate with a note or a card..

There's 2 ways for that. Most people also typically go to the same bank so you know the normal customers that are there so if someone is hearing impaired the staff typically is already aware. That and also there's password protection on accounts which is also used as an identification tool too. So there's multiple ways to verify someone's identity before giving them money from an account or allowing them to make a deposit. The teller had multiple options on hand to verify Cooglers identity before getting the manager to give them access to the money he requested before calling the police.

Did he submit an ID with a deposit slip?

Lol this nigga had money for a minute..... This is the first time he went to this bank? If he was worried about discretion would not making an appointment be more discreet? And seriously.....I thought you couldn't wear glasses in the bank. I thought it was required to remove them. I dunno....a man definitely should be allowed to get their money, but I feel like he handled it poorly.

Coogler was acting like a regular nigga instead of the boss he is.

I would always sit with the relationship manager at my branch when I made my deposits and that was like 2-3000 not no 12k withdrawal. He wild for that lol.

Did he submit an ID with a deposit slip?

Lol this nigga had money for a minute..... This is the first time he went to this bank? If he was worried about discretion would not making an appointment be more discreet? And seriously.....I thought you couldn't wear glasses in the bank. I thought it was required to remove them. I dunno....a man definitely should be allowed to get their money, but I feel like he handled it poorly.

Is that a thing? lol

What if those were his actual glasses but he had the transition lenses

Probably many times. How many times did he do it with that teller tho?

That's why if your dealing with that much loot and want discretion you go sit with the relationship manager or ask for the branch manager. Sit down in private and have them bring it to you.

I agree. But that isn’t my point. My point is only that, for me, there is no understandable way that that interaction should have ended in him in the parking lot in handcuffs.

Im not saying it was ideally handled on his part. I’m saying regardless of that, the fact that it turned into what it turned into is ridiculous. Even the bank said ‘Fuck outta here. This shouldn’t have happened. We apologize.’

Back