Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll Better Producer: Pete Rock or Mannie Fresh?

Better Producer?

• Pete Rock

• Mannie Fresh

Results are only viewable after voting.
don't think Pete Rock has produced any songs that make the crowd go wild 20 years later.

He doesn’t HAVE to

The thing Pete Rock…Q-Tip…9th Wonder…Dr Dre…Dilla…Kanye etc all have in common is they have a highly trained ear for music….making them more diverse and expansive

If your meal ticket is club beats you’re limiting yourself

I hate the term “backpacker” when it comes to hip hop….some people just have a skilled ear

Idc about shit rocking the club, I just wanna see the classic records Rock produced to make niggas put him in the same conversation as premo and others.

So far it's been a track off doe or die and obscure remixes.

His discog is weak in comparison to.his peers.

Idc about shit rocking the club, I just wanna see the classic records Rock produced to make niggas put him in the same conversation as premo and others.

You’ve listened to “The Main Ingredient” album by Pete Rock and Cl Smooth?

I always preferred the Pete Rock version to Jump Around

Those horns he sampled are CRAZY!!!!

And this shit WILL rock a club even today…I’m a bouncer I know

You’ve listened to “The Main Ingredient” album by Pete Rock and Cl Smooth?

Of course, I'm familiar with his work for the most part.

But like premo for example. If somebody ask me to name his work that makes people consider him a goat, off the top my head I can name

Kick in the door
NY state of mind
Come.clean
D evils
Etc

Bonifided hip-hop classics. The same can't be done with Rock.

In hindsight I just appreciate the fact that NY producers were once diverse and well respected regardless if they went mainstream or stayed underground….they in fact were able to do BOTH

Preemo didn’t just do hip hop….he also did pop records because he had the skill and ear to do so

Same with Q-Tip and Dilla ushering in a more soulful chapter

Everyone had their fingerprint….that’s what I miss

Of course, I'm familiar with his work for the most part.

But like premo for example. If somebody ask me to name his work that makes people consider him a goat, off the top my head I can name

Kick in the door
NY state of mind
Come.clean
D evils
Etc

Bonifided hip-hop classics. The same can't be done with Rock.

I mean Preemo without a doubt is on another level…..everyone just had their own lane…Pete was a more jazzy dude

I posted a few stuff

In hindsight I just appreciate the fact that NY producers were once diverse and well respected regardless if they went mainstream or stayed underground….they in fact were able to do BOTH

Preemo didn’t just do hip hop….he also did pop records because he had the skill and ear to do so

Dilla is from Detroit

I posted a few stuff

I was more so looking for universal hiphop classics. I think to be goat status, you should have bonified hiphop classics as well as lesser known joints.

We can drop classic "bside" shit all day like this:

But where's the hiphop classics?

And not just them. You had Diamond D, Buckwild, The Beatminerz, and others that had their own footprint.

I was more so looking for universal hiphop classics. I think to be goat status, you should have bonified hiphop classics as well as lesser known joints.

Preemo laced them with some heat on that album.

Here’s one of their classic singles

Back