Welcome To aBlackWeb

Peacock Bel-Air (Season 3, 8/15)

But I think what folks are saying is what we do which was just played at a Philly game for Freeway is one of those super popular hometown songs you don’t gotta be our age to know it. Grindin was huge but Clipse was not as big as Rocafella

Bruh, in the 757 when Grindin came out it was that big HERE. Same hometown love. But that shit doesn't stay big with the youth forever.

But I'm not interested in saying the same thing over and over. Y'all got it. The Super Bowl halftime show had high schoolers all across the nation hype. They can't stop listening to Aquemeni, Get Rich or Die Trying, Doggystyle, and the Blueprint. They heard Travis Scott's 5% tint, and instantly said "Hold up, that's Goodie Mob".

Bruh, in the 757 when Grindin came out it was that big HERE. Same hometown love. But that shit doesn't stay big with the youth forever.

But I'm not interested in saying the same thing over and over. Y'all got it. The Super Bowl halftime show had high schoolers all across the nation hype. They can't stop listening to Aquemeni, Get Rich or Die Trying, Doggystyle, and the Blueprint. They heard Travis Scott's 5% tint, and instantly said "Hold up, that's Goodie Mob".

Jeez bro no reason to be a dick about it. I’m sure kids never heard any music made before they were born and all they know is TikTok and drill music.

Jeez bro no reason to be a dick about it. I’m sure kids never heard any music made before they were born and all they know is TikTok and drill music.

You pop up late and miss the point. You keep focusing on one song, when I've already said a few times it's the collection of things that make the shows references seem dated.

Grindin is as timeless as What We Do to me, and like I said... don't think it's getting a lot of play from high schoolers.

And you're missing the point. I said if it was 1 thing it wouldn't have been distracting. It was What We Do, AND Kearse, AND Iverson, AND Hot Nigga that made the references seem aged.

Like if he was listening to Al Green... ok. But if he was listening to Al Green, AND calling folks jive turkeys, AND wearing bell bottoms, AND had a big afro... it'd come across dated.

Note the bolded.

Will is 16 in the show.
Iverson retired when he was 4.
Kearse left Philly when he was 1.
What We Do came out 2 years before he was born.
Dreams and Nightmares came out when he was 7.
Hot Nigga came out when he was 9.

Those were the pop culture references. So regardless of how much you think these kids love rap from before they were born, it's still 1 of a list of dated references.

Okay to end this. As someone from the area even though What we Do is a Philly classic I highly doubt many high schoolers in 2022 are using that as their alarm clock. Maybe if it was some Meek it'd be more realistic, but I see why they did it. Because like I first posted they put every Philly stereotype in that first episode

Okay to end this. As someone from the area even though What we Do is a Philly classic I highly doubt many high schoolers in 2022 are using that as their alarm clock. Maybe if it was some Meek it'd be more realistic, but I see why they did it. Because like I first posted they put every Philly stereotype in that first episode

Thank you! Dunno why dudes are in here acting like it was normal to have Grandmaster Flash on in the locker room before a game.

I like how they went heavy on the Philly stuff. Putting What We Do in there was dope idea to me. Stuff just came across as dated to me because they used 16 year old Will as the way to get it in the show. It felt like they were writing him as a 16 year old around 2005 with his interests.

That's really all I was saying.

You pop up late and miss the point. You keep focusing on one song, when I've already said a few times it's the collection of things that make the shows references seem dated.

Note the bolded.

Will is 16 in the show.
Iverson retired when he was 4.
Kearse left Philly when he was 1.
What We Do came out 2 years before he was born.
Dreams and Nightmares came out when he was 7.
Hot Nigga came out when he was 9.

Those were the pop culture references. So regardless of how much you think these kids love rap from before they were born, it's still 1 of a list of dated references.

Bro o hear you but it’s not that serious and we both don’t care that much it’s strange for a Philly kid to like Iverson and Freeway

This show is a lot better than I thought it will be. Carlton is a Gotdamn hater lol

This here. I avoided watching this thinking it was gonna be a wack reboot. But taking the drama route instead of tryinta recreate a comedy show was a GREAT route to take. Now is not really competing w the old show bc is a completely different genre. Hilary finer than OG Hillary

That's kinda what I'm saying. Like he's that mad at her dad being a cop because he got arrested and spent one night in jail?

They just seem to be going overboard on the trauma. He has no problem punching someone in the face (which is what started off everything), but he sees a badge and turns into a Vietnam War vet.

Bro grew up in the inner city, where police relations ain't really the greatest. Dude a ball player getting str8 As. Had to fire off shots and got physically handled by police. Then finds out his friend, who was also a jock w good grades got shot. That can be VERY traumatic.

Bro grew up in the inner city, where police relations ain't really the greatest. Dude a ball player getting str8 As. Had to fire off shots and got physically handled by police. Then finds out his friend, who was also a jock w good grades got shot. That can be VERY traumatic.

Ya I get you that the night was a lot, but the police part of it was light. He punched dude, he let off shots because his friend was getting jumped. His friend was shot by the dude he punched.

All the police did was arrest him, and they really weren't excessively physical. He didn't really get roughed up from what I remember. I'd get trauma relating to violence, or the dude that's after him.

I don't mean it wasn't a traumatic night. Just that it's weird to mostly have police trauma from it. I mean, he got in another fight with Carlton and his friend and was fine.

Back