Welcome To aBlackWeb

Peacock Bel-Air (Season 3, 8/15)

Homie got booked for what could’ve been:

1.) possession of a weapon
2.) reckless endangerment
3.) even a possible attempt depending on how the prosecutor was feeling

Did only a night in jail and was let out the next morning by the grace of god (uncle Phil).

Niggas get to feeling antsy just driving by police when their L is dirty. Can you imagine the anxiety & trauma looming in the back of his head every time he encounters an officer.

He's not in Philly, and he didn't jump bail. Police in Cali don't know who he is, and probably can't find a crime that, on paper, didn't even happen.

I dunno. Just seems like they're laying that trauma on extra thick when the cops didn't do anything to him or any of his people.

He's not in Philly, and he didn't jump bail. Police in Cali don't know who he is, and probably can't find a crime that, on paper, didn't even happen.

I dunno. Just seems like they're laying that trauma on extra thick when the cops didn't do anything to him or any of his people.

For one he’s in high school.
For two ain’t a nigga alive ever had cases over their head & said to themselves, “shit I’m sweet now,” just because they skipped state. Lmfao you talking like California is some non-extraditable nation.

We’re also talking anxiety and PTSD. It doesn’t matter if he skipped bail or not. Doesn’t matter if it was actually cleared in a way that it could never come back on him. It doesn’t change that feeling of discomfort. You’re not going to feel any more comfortable having a dirty New York drivers license, when the police pass by, just because you’re driving in Cali.

Only way you wouldn’t understand that is if you’re not black.

But anything can trigger trauma, regardless where a person is. B/c that trigger will always take him back to that moment. Seems like that whole night itself traumatizing for him.

I hope he dont start asking Jeffrey questions about what happened to Rashad. Leave that shyt alone mayne.

Ultimately, I’m sure it’s just a PTSD plot point being played out. It’s not that far out the realm of believability given what happened to him.

Look how he acts with his cousin after a few altercations. Given his emotional responses he’s the exact type of Nigga I’d expect to react that way to the police.

For one he’s in high school.
For two ain’t a nigga alive ever had cases over their head & said to themselves, “shit I’m sweet now,” just because they skipped state. Lmfao you talking like California is some non-extraditable nation.

We’re also talking anxiety and PTSD. It doesn’t matter if he skipped bail or not. Doesn’t matter if it was actually cleared in a way that it could never come back on him. It doesn’t change that feeling of discomfort. You’re not going to feel any more comfortable having a dirty New York drivers license, when the police pass by, just because you’re driving in Cali.

Only way you wouldn’t understand that is if you’re not black.

You're not describing his situation though. There's no cases hanging over his head. It got cleaned up, and never happened. There's nothing to extradite. He never went before a judge at any point. Strings got pulled and he's out.

Having a dirty NY license is still a crime. A Cali cop can run your record and see that. Will has no crime hanging over his head. His extremely rich, well connected, lawyer uncle took care of it.

There's also a difference between being uncomfortable around cops, and having paralyzing flashbacks. Black people function in the presence of cops all the time.

New Jazz takes me out. They went the complete opposite on my guy. He went from a funny cheap dumbass to this smooth pretty guy who gives great advice. Even got Hilary into him after their first convo. Wonder if Will himself wanted that change hahaha

I'm only 6 minutes in and they've thrown almost EVERY philly stereotype in here. I can see how some folks from the city might not like this like that lol

I'm reminded of how in Logan, Wolverine tossed those X Men comic books to the side and told the little girl that those stories were nowhere close to what really happened.

This show is like an exposé on what really happened between Philly and Bel-Air, whereas the original sitcom was a cartoonized exaggerated cleaned up version of real life events. I loved the sitcom for the sitcom it was but this is next level.

So many of you are saying how much you hate Carlton.

Mentally, I'm replaying the sitcom alongside this show. I imagine that beyond this version's condescending arrogant exterior is the corny awkward version from the sitcom and it manifests itself as anxiety that he copes with by snorting drugs.

If you couple that with the fact that he just had his insulated life of rich privilege as the only black boy in his world ripped open, without warning... it makes sense why he acts the way that he does. Notice how he keeps walking in on Will usurping his life: first with his ex at the pool, then with his father on the home court, then his family at the basketball game. Can you really say if you grew up the way he did that you wouldn't perceive Will as a threat?

So many of you are saying how much you hate Carlton.

Mentally, I'm replaying the sitcom alongside this show. I imagine that beyond this version's condescending arrogant exterior is the corny awkward version from the sitcom and it manifests itself as anxiety that he copes with by snorting drugs.

If you couple that with the fact that he just had his insulated life of rich privilege as the only black boy in his world ripped open, without warning... it makes sense why he acts the way that he does. Notice how he keeps walking in on Will usurping his life: first with his ex at the pool, then with his father on the home court, then his family at the basketball game. Can you really say if you grew up the way he did that you wouldn't perceive Will as a threat?
They talked about that in the original though. Remember after the game Carlton stole the ball from Will he was mad at Uncle Phil for perceived supporting Will more than him? Phil had to tell him he's been to so many of Carlton's activities it was hard to keep track and that Will needs a little bit more support because his support section was all the way across the country.

Back