Welcome To aBlackWeb

Peacock Bel-Air (Season 3, 8/15)

I wanted nothing to do with this show & came out of the first three episodes really liking it.

I will say making Lisa Carlton’s ex feels real dirty lol macking your cousin’s old girl is some despicable and almost irredeemable shit

I just started this last night. I'm enjoying it so far. I like how they didn't try to make the characters match the original characters, and the more serious tone.

But the pop culture references seem off to me, and I keep picking up on them. Kid's 16 in say 2021... born around 2005. I know he's from Philly... but he's still 16. He have Freeway's "What wet do?" as his alarm? Think he has Jevon Kearse and Iverson posters. Seems like 80's babies stuff to me.

And the locker room scene with Hot Nigga playing. Just seems off... those preppy white kids were like 9 when that came out. I mean it's not impossible... just seems like all the references are dated for Will's age.

I just started this last night. I'm enjoying it so far. I like how they didn't try to make the characters match the original characters, and the more serious tone.

But the pop culture references seem off to me, and I keep picking up on them. Kid's 16 in say 2021... born around 2005. I know he's from Philly... but he's still 16. He have Freeway's "What wet do?" as his alarm? Think he has Jevon Kearse and Iverson posters. Seems like 80's babies stuff to me.

And the locker room scene with Hot Nigga playing. Just seems off... those preppy white kids were like 9 when that came out. I mean it's not impossible... just seems like all the references are dated for Will's age.

The bolded answers explains your inquiry.

Bruh is reppin all things Philly. Shyt doesn't have to be current. Why wouldn't they play Freeway or Meek? Why wouldn't he rep Iverson? Hell...I'd have an issue if that kinda shyt WASN'T in the show.

So it doesn't matter if he was around when Freeway or Meek came out. Fact is...both their music STILL get played in Philly even today. Just like a lot of us wasn't around when Isleys, Marvin, Al Green, and others dropped their classics. But we still bump them regardless. Good music is timeless.

Bruh is reppin all things Philly. Shyt doesn't have to be current. Why wouldn't they play Freeway or Meek? Why wouldn't he rep Iverson? Hell...I'd have an issue if that kinda shyt WASN'T in the show.

So it doesn't matter if he was around when Freeway or Meek came out. Fact is...both their music STILL get played in Philly even today. Just like a lot of us wasn't around when Isleys, Marvin, Al Green, and others dropped their classics. But we still bump them regardless. Good music is timeless.

How old are you?

This Hillary is more ambitious than the og. I get that Viv want set her on the right path, but she gotta let Hil figure that out herself.

I did chuckle at them playing What We Do... and then Freeway makes a cameo as the damn coach lol

I did chuckle at them playing What We Do... and then Freeway makes a cameo as the damn coach lol

So fun fact....

I didn't even notice Freeway as the coach. Lol! My attention got sidetracked briefly and missed it.

My point is Philly kid or not, that shit still doesn't make sense to me for a 16 year old. Kearse isn't an Eagle legend, and he's not from Philly. He left the Eagles when the kid was like 2.

And the Freeway thing. I don't think NY high schoolers are bumping the Black Album like that, or NO high schoolers are on 500 Degrees or Tha Carter like that. So I'm skeptical Philly kids are really into 03 Freeway like that.

Maybe 1 thing wouldn't be distracting to me. But Kearse, Iverson, Freeway, Hot nigga... that's a lot of aged references for just the 1st episode.

Back