Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY A Black Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
our times just about up

They need to be teaching them how to cook and clean

Damn where's my Rosie

rosey-the-jetsons.gif

There’s actually a group of black ballet dancers from all over the US that tours.

I forget their name right now.
But the show was lit

Misty Copeland

Saw her live.

Just incredible
On June 30, 2015, Copeland became the first African American woman to be promoted to principal dancer in ABT's 75-year history.[3]

We still have a long ways to go. I can only imagine if her parents were of Italian and German descent would she be even considered
There’s actually a group of black ballet dancers from all over the US that tours.

I forget their name right now.
But the show was lit
I'm glad to hear this.

On June 30, 2015, Copeland became the first African American woman to be promoted to principal dancer in ABT's 75-year history.[3]

We still have a long ways to go. I can only imagine if her parents were of Italian and German descent would she be even considered

I'm glad to hear this.

The praise Copeland gets has always bugged me. I don't fault her for being great at her craft, but what's being celebrated is weird. It's not like she's the first great black ballerina. It's just that ballet is a European artform and white people have done a lot of gate keeping. She's just the first black person they allowed to be part of their club. That's not really anything worth celebrating. Especially, since there are dance forms that African Americans either created or heavily contributed to.

The praise Copeland gets has always bugged me. I don't fault her for being great at her craft, but what's being celebrated is weird. It's not like she's the first great black ballerina. It's just that ballet is a European artform and white people have done a lot of gate keeping. She's just the first black person they allowed to be part of their club. That's not really anything worth celebrating. Especially, since there are dance forms that African Americans either created or heavily contributed to.
Always kinds tripped me out to how niggas long to be an opera singer ballerina polka dancer whatever for some so-called acceptance, validation and think it the pinnacle of excellence

White Supremacy is a hell of a drug...

And yeah i don't mean not shit on it its just something that's always swirled around innmy head... we are good enough

Always kinds tripped me out to how niggas long to be an opera singer ballerina polka dancer whatever for some so-called acceptance, validation and think it the pinnacle of excellence

White Supremacy is a hell of a drug...

And yeah i don't mean not shit on it its just something that's always swirled around innmy head... we are good enough

Yeah. I mean I don't have a problem with a black person wanting to be a ballerina or opera singer. If you like those artforms, are good at them, and want to do it at a high level, you should follow your dream. I just believe people need to be mindful between the difference of being the first to accomplish something because no one else could do it before you and being the first to accomplish something because bac actors wouldn't let anyone do it before you. Copeland deserves to be proud of her success, but celebrating being the first black person in that organization is essentially just celebrating that white people finally allowed a black person in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back