Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY 6yo student shot a teacher leaving the teacher in critical condition during an altercation at a Virginia elementary school

Week of shooting first time parents weren't in class with student that shot NN teacher: Family statement

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. — NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (AP) — The family of a 6-year-old boy who shot and wounded his teacher in Virginiasaid Thursday that the gun he used had been “secured.”

The family's statement was released by an attorney and did not elaborate further on where the 9mm handgun was kept. The family also was not identified.

In the statement, they say they're praying for teacher Abby Zwerner.

"Our heart goes out to our son's teacher and we pray for her healing in the aftermath of such an unimaginable tragedy as she selflessly served our son and the children in the school." -Family of 6-year-old that shot his teacher at Richneck Elem.

The statement also includes that they've been "cooperating with local and federal law enforcement to understand how this could have happened."

The family says they wanted to include "additional facts previously unknown to the public in hopes that they may ease the dissonance we are all grappling with and prevent something like this from happening again."

“Our family has always been committed to responsible gun ownership and keeping firearms out of the reach of children,” the statement said. “The firearm our son accessed was secured.”

The family also said that the boy “suffers from an acute disability and was under a care plan at the school that included his mother or father attending school with him and accompanying him to class every day.”

The family said the week of the shooting “was the first week when we were not in class with him. We will regret our absence on this day for the rest of our lives.”

The family says their son has been receiving hospital care and treatment since the shooting and that they continue to pray for Zwerner's recovery, but also ask for prayers for their family.

"We continue to pray for his teacher's full recovery, and for her loved ones who are undoubtedly upset and concerned. At the same time, we love our son and are asking that you please include him and our family in your prayers." -Family of 6-year-old that shot his teacher at Richneck Elem.
The statement was released through the office of Newport News-based attorney James S. Ellenson.

The shooting occurred Jan. 6 as Zwernertaught her first grade class at Richneck Elementary in Newport News.

The bullet pierced Zwerner’s hand and struck her chest. The 25-year-old teacher hustled her students out of the classroom before being rushed to the hospital.

Newport News police had said that the 6-year-old’s mother legally purchased the gun but that it was unclear how her son gained access to it.

A Virginia law prohibits leaving a loaded gun where it is accessible to a child under 14, a misdemeanor crime punishable with a maximum one-year prison sentence and $2,500 fine. No charges have been brought against the mother so far.

Only way I see the parents getting off is if they used a safe and it malfunctioned and the kid got access to it. I don't know how rare that occurs though. I imagine extremely rare

Hol da fuck up

At least 3 gotdamn adults saw or absolutely knew a little ass 6 y/o had gun and all they did was tell admin like it was a broken toilet or some shit.

:wdf5: .....yoke his lil ass up and take that shit from him.

Hol da fuck up

At least 3 gotdamn adults saw or absolutely knew a little ass 6 y/o had gun and all they did was tell admin like it was a broken toilet or some shit.

:wdf5: .....yoke his lil ass up and take that shit from him.

man idk wtf going on like nobody took shit serious at all. Admin supposed to back them up.

nah. I said I know the area very well and yeah.

They call Newport News “Bad News”, man. That place is depressing as FUCK.

TOO FAR DAMMIT. The fucked up parts of NN are depressing. That's why they're the fucked up parts. Just like the fucked up parts of most cities are depressing.

City's alright.

TOO FAR DAMMIT. The fucked up parts of NN are depressing. That's why they're the fucked up parts. Just like the fucked up parts of most cities are depressing.

City's alright.

He from the beach lol they got like one or two black neighborhoods. The rest is for white folks who didn’t want Norfolk

He from the beach lol they got like one or two black neighborhoods. The rest is for white folks who didn’t want Norfolk

what did I say that was off? That Newport News is depressing?

Seattle is depressing. It is what it is.

You mentioning black neighborhoods in the beach ain’t got shit to do with what I’m sayin.

City's alright.

We sayin the same things my man.

I wasn’t shittin on the entire city. I was just sayin that to me, it’s depressing.

what did I say that was off? That Newport News is depressing?

Seattle is depressing. It is what it is.

You mentioning black neighborhoods in the beach ain’t got shit to do with what I’m sayin.

I just don’t like it bro I get America is depressing but Bad News does not apply to the whole city

Back