Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED 66th Grammy Awards

test
Beyonce won album of the year at the BET Awards but y’all don’t “show up” for that.

Black people act like Beyonce is universally loved they way our people love her, but is that even true? I know she has fans from all communities, but do her albums actually have the kind of crossover appeal that would lead to an AotY award at the Grammies.

Beyonce is an odd case to me. People have basically said she's the new generation MJ, but I don't see it. I think black people overestimate how popular she actually is in general. For example, black people don't seem to hold Rhianna in as high regard as Beyonce, but Rhianna has sold more than twice as many albums over her career.

Black people act like Beyonce is universally loved they way our people love her, but is that even true? I know she has fans from all communities, but do her albums actually have the kind of crossover appeal that would lead to an AotY award at the Grammies.

Beyonce is an odd case to me. People have basically said she's the new generation MJ, but I don't see it. I think black people overestimate how popular she actually is in general. For example, black people don't seem to hold Rhianna in as high regard as Beyonce, but Rhianna has sold more than twice as many albums over her career.

Rihanna makes better albums than Beyonce when she does drop.

Beyonce kinda became the catch-all for Black American female RnB/Pop artists because that category is kinda dead.

And the music she puts out is divorced from anything. She doesn't follow trends at this point.

Last edited:

You cracked the code, it’s something black people do a whole lot. The belief that our world is the same world others live in. Cause if you’re black, chances are you grew up around 80 to 90 to some people, 100 percent black environments with little other outside influences that were either drenched in blackness or had the black seal of approval.

And people are oblivious to what it really means to be a minority. We say, we influence world culture. Yes we do, as in we know where the origins of stuff came from. But by the time it reaches the world stage, they don’t know where it came from , where it originated . And don’t care where it came from.

Rhianna is a bigger artist through out the world than Beyonce. 50 cent and snoop are bigger artist in the world than Jay Z. Our perspective is just our perspective and that’s why Jayz is stanning for Beyonce for AOTY. For her to do what she do and not win it, it’s a subtle slap in the face like..

You will not be crowned, we will not crown you, we’ll crown a much less talented and more vanilla, white washed version of you that we created, just to show you that among “us” you have no power here. Cold world

A Grammy don’t mean shit to us but to that world..its a stamp

But it makes sense to them, Beyonce with that much power could move mountains and would be hard to reign in. They could break Taylor tomorrow if they wanted, if she don’t play ball.

Lol at the Usual suspects

& Travis would’ve won had the people not been stampeded. Even though Utopia was just cool for the most part. It was a weak crop this year but that sent them scrambling.

Drake and the Grammys have a Cold War so Her Loss wasn’t gonna win

They already gave Nas his lifetime achievement one

Metro’s one is one of the best of the crop but they not giving it to him.

Ion hear it man, this don’t sound like something you’d call the album of the year. He rapping rapping, but he been rapping like this for a decade plus. This is essentially who killer Mike is, why is it album of the year material now? Has the bar dropped that much?
Yes it's been that bad when it comes to for over a year now. It was a truly awful year last year. Also, Mike fit the narrative to win this year as well. In most good years for the genre, Mike wouldn't had got mention for a nomination at all.

You cracked the code, it’s something black people do a whole lot. The belief that our world is the same world others live in. Cause if you’re black, chances are you grew up around 80 to 90 to some people, 100 percent black environments with little other outside influences that were either drenched in blackness or had the black seal of approval.

And people are oblivious to what it really means to be a minority. We say, we influence world culture. Yes we do, as in we know where the origins of stuff came from. But by the time it reaches the world stage, they don’t know where it came from , where it originated . And don’t care where it came from.

Rhianna is a bigger artist through out the world than Beyonce. 50 cent and snoop are bigger artist in the world than Jay Z. Our perspective is just our perspective and that’s why Jayz is stanning for Beyonce for AOTY. For her to do what she do and not win it, it’s a subtle slap in the face like..

You will not be crowned, we will not crown you, we’ll crown a much less talented and more vanilla, white washed version of you that we created, just to show you that among “us” you have no power here. Cold world

A Grammy don’t mean shit to us but to that world..its a stamp
To me you are right and wrong. We really do move the needle when it comes to popular culture. Turn on the TV now and all you hear is hip hop and R&B playing on commercials. Cause the ad executives age 35-50 grew up on MTV jams and were watching rap city. Let's not even mention the fact that since probably the 1960's the title of most popular person on the earth has been a black man. From Ali to Jordan to Michael Jackson to Mike Tyson. You can hold up a pic of the jump man in Easter Island and they will yell michael jordan. Most times our famous athletes are more recognized than the president worldwide

Beyonce won album of the year at the BET Awards but y’all don’t “show up” for that.

If anything the BET awards are more bent towards black excellence in entertainment than the Grammys (they honoured Busta Rhymes on the last one...)

However very many black entertainers (including Jay and Bey) never attend because I think they think it's beneath them or a substandard award show ... 🤷‍♂️

There’s a reason people showed up to the BET awards when Bob Johnson still owned it and/or was chief executive more than recently.

BET awards now is essentially no different than any of the the other awards shows in terms of who’s actually running it. It’s just those yt people are saying this is the one we have for y’all niggas.

Lol at Jay being all we past kneeling but I guess we ain’t past complaining tho
They magically got no power or voice when it comes to social issues plaguing the black community, but when its some shit that affects them, or something I suspect they actually care about, their voice and financial power magically come back
If anything the BET awards are more bent towards black excellence in entertainment than the Grammys (they honoured Busta Rhymes on the last one...)

However very many black entertainers (including Jay and Bey) never attend because I think they think it's beneath them or a substandard award show ... 🤷‍♂️
To be real, the BET awards is kinda ghetto, but if they really cared, they could show up and help make it better. Which is 100% within their power, but I guess commoners are beyond helping or not worth it.

Back