Welcome To aBlackWeb

"You Can't Date White Women and Be Pro Black", but I bet you'll smash Candice Owens though.

Good point

Admittedly my upbringing in the deep south has largely contributed to my pov

My only push back to you is the potential for the individuals to turn into groups you're trying not to think of

I feel you. I'm from SC, so I know exactly where you're coming from.

My perspective is different from a lot of people because I understand racism is a con. In practice, I know that doesn't matter. It just bugs me that we're all still falling for it. Like I can't believe that we as a species are stupid enough to still be quibbling over this.

I feel you. I'm from SC, so I know exactly where you're coming from.

My perspective is different from a lot of people because I understand racism is a con. In practice, I know that doesn't matter. It just bugs me that we're all still falling for it. Like I can't believe that we as a species are stupid enough to still be quibbling over this.
I disagree racism is a con, unless I'm misunderstanding your point about this particular bit

I disagree racism is a con, unless I'm misunderstanding your point about this particular bit

It absolutely is a con. There's a book called The Origin of the White Race that I think everyone should read. The author basically went through historic records to show that the concept of "whiteness" and racism in general in America only came about to keep the elites on the top. The colonies literally implemented miscegenation laws to keep white and black bond servants from uniting to oppose rich land owners.

It's all academic at this point though. Racism is ingrained in American culture. It's probably impossible to remove it now.

It absolutely is a con. There's a book called The Origin of the White Race that I think everyone should read. The author basically went through historic records to show that the concept of "whiteness" and racism in general in America only came about to keep the elites on the top. The colonies literally implemented miscegenation laws to keep white and black bond servants from uniting to oppose rich land owners.

It's all academic at this point though. Racism is ingrained in American culture. It's probably impossible to remove it now.
Let me think on this some more before I respond

Yeah this same theme comes up on any readings of how Italians and Irish folks got brought over into whiteness over time vs how they were treated when they first came to America

I've said it multiple times...

...racism protects/masks classism

The movie Rosewood intentionally touches on this when one of the white cops tells one of the characters part of the racist mob basically "The only reason I'm not treating your poor dumb ass like a Black person is because you're white."
Yea it's wild to me that whites either don't realize they're also getting finessed...

...or the only time they acknowledge they're getting finessed is when they're having a racial argument against a non white "wHeRe CaN i GeT tHiS wHiTe PrIvIlEgE yOu SpEaK oF?"

The energy is never ever ever directed where it should be

Rinse wash repeat

Edit: and pls don't let this post be taken as implying white privilege doesn't exist

Hmmm

I guess the simplest way to rationalize this for me is, as my doctor, don't tell me to stop smoking while you're lighting up a pack in between patient visits.

You are going such a good work for your community that your mate of choice doesn't even look like you. You made a choice to help your community and you made a choice in your mate. Therein lies the contradiction.

But I appreciate the respectful dialogue even if we are on opposite ends of this particular subject🫱🏿‍🫲🏾
I think we can find faults in everyone and if we exclude everyone with faults we don’t like…we will be fighting and uphill battle against communities as individuals .

What matters to me is the who the person is. That to me can tell more about who you are when shit hits the fan vs who you cuddling with.

I respect your stance but I think we should be careful about what we use as limits on others.

I think we can find faults in everyone and if we exclude everyone with faults we don’t like…we will be fighting and uphill battle against communities as individuals .

What matters to me is the who the person is. That to me can tell more about who you are when shit hits the fan vs who you cuddling with.

I respect your stance but I think we should be careful about what we use as limits on others.

You can't get the totality of who a person is without including their faults.

You can't get the totality of who a person is without including their faults.
I do include their faults.
Certain faults to me aren’t worth throwing the potential ally away. But people can show redemptive qualities too.

Back