Welcome To aBlackWeb

HBO Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty (CANCELED After 2 Seasons)

Man everybody really in their feelings about this show I hope they don’t ruin it and try to get Season 2 canceled because the show is phenomenal. And I heard they been working on the show for like 7 to 8 yrs you telling me none of them ever seen the script or heard anything about it?

That’s fucked up. People are gonna be even more mad at Jerry West now, and he’s got every right to protest his portrayal on the show, especially if this was done without his approval.

Not one person who’s alive being portrayed in the show has had anything good to say about how they’re being presented. That should count for something, even if the show is hella entertaining.

lol the only person getting shown in a good light is cookie.

She jus answering the phn whenever magic calls lol

I dunno man. I find it hard to believe for them to do the show...WITHOUT Jeanie giving her blessing.

I would like to think the show creators and HBO excecs gave everyone a heads up.

Interesting everybody is saying they don’t like the “portrayal” but none are saying it’s inaccurate.

Also interesting that there are no 3rd parties coming out in their defense either. Has anyone other than the person mad at the portrayal come out to say it’s inaccurate? I don’t think so.

Interesting everybody is saying they don’t like the “portrayal” but none are saying it’s inaccurate.

Also interesting that there are no 3rd parties coming out in their defense either. Has anyone other than the person mad at the portrayal come out to say it’s inaccurate? I don’t think so.

Haven't seen Jeanie Buss come out and say anything about her father's portrayal.

lol the only person getting shown in a good light is cookie.

She jus answering the phn whenever magic calls lol

Yes and no. At first, it seemed like the choices Cookie was making were about protecting herself from being hurt by the things she knew Magic would do. In the last episode, a few of the things she said made it seem like she was trying to manipulate him a little.

Anyway, I can't be mad at the real people speaking out against the show. All the characters seem to over the top, and it would be easy to say people should take it in good fun, but we all know easily influenced the masses are. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people watching the show are taking these portrayals as 100% fact.

Nah he's wrong. Anyone from LA knowKareem is the biggest jerk around. My homie literally got cursed out by him for asking for a autograph and we were like 10 or 11. He's bitter 24/7

Bruh… my screen name is INGLEWOOD_B. I grew up like literally damn near across the street from the forum in the Osage towers.

I know Kareem reputation, but this shit is a dramatization. Everything is exaggerated and turned up to 11.

I believe 100% he cursed you lil niggas out… but just the same my pops got a story he’s told about a million times about when he met Kareem when he was about 16 and it was exactly the opposite. Had a full on 10 minute conversation.

I'm pretty sure they all had issues with Pearlman's book, which the show is based off of and is probably why nearly everyone depicted came out early as non-supportive while promoting other works that they consider to be official.

Also, these are real people who are still alive. Sure, some of what is depicted is going to be true, but how would you feel if everything that you did wrong became dramatized and exaggerated in front of the whole world? I'm not mad at them at all about that....This show is very much enjoyable though. I fell in love with the Lakers as a little kid in the 80s all the way from Kansas because of the Showtime era. I'm loving this show. However, I take it with a grain of salt.

Except for the Magic stuff. He's said enough on his own that I believe he did everything they are showing.

EVERYTHING!

He is still my favorite basketball player ever though...........

Last edited:
I’m just wondering how the use of the team names and everything works. Wouldn’t the NBA have to agree to allow all of that to be used in a show?

And how did HBO get to use the names and likenesses without the players’ and others’ permission? You would think that was almost impossible when you see people getting shut down by the estate when people try to make biographies about dead people.

I don’t think anyone has been made to be “unlikeable.”

Even at everyone’s worse they come across as loveably flawed IMO. Even West comes off as endearing to me given what we know about the makeup of winners.

I’m not crying for none of these niggas just because they haven’t been painted entirely as saints.

I’m just wondering how the use of the team names and everything works. Wouldn’t the NBA have to agree to allow all of that to be used in a show?

And how did HBO get to use the names and likenesses without the players’ and others’ permission? You would think that was almost impossible when you see people getting shut down by the estate when people try to make biographies about dead people.
Pearlman said they didn't need to get permission. He also said Jeanie loves the book so I would assume she's not bothered by the show

Pearlman said they didn't need to get permission. He also said Jeanie loves the book so I would assume she's not bothered by the show
I wonder why not though. Must be some sort of loophole like how public figures don’t have certain protections a “nobody” would have.

Wait...so this show is based off a book? Didn't know that.

I mean if she ain't shut it down then hey

I wonder why not though. Must be some sort of loophole like how public figures don’t have certain protections a “nobody” would have.

Yeah, I'm curious how that works. Like if a company makes a biographical film about a particular person, I'm sure that company doesn't have to pay off everybody that was mentioned in that movie. There has to be loophole for using likenesses for works that address real events.

Also, these are real people who are still alive. Sure, some of what is depicted is going to be true, but how would you feel if everything that you did wrong became dramatized and exaggerated in front of the whole world? I'm not mad at them at all about that....This show is very much enjoyable though. I fell in love with the Lakers as a little kid in the 80s all the way from Kansas because of the Showtime era. I'm loving this show. However, I take it with a grain of salt.

Except for the Magic stuff. He's said enough on his own that I believe he did everything they are showing.

EVERYTHING!

He is still my favorite basketball player ever though...........

Lol!

I'm sure the shyt being shown on the show, ain't NOTHIN compared to what he was doin in real life.

Bruh said SIX women at the same time. Lol

Back