Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Who You Got: Drake, Cole or Kendrick?

test

Did J.Cole Make The Right Decision?

• Yes

• Yes, but his stock still dropped

• No, he ducked the smoke

Results are only viewable after voting.
@Los216 Ebro makes some really good points at 7:43 if you still need some more clarity on the colonizer shit. I think it also hits a little harder considering he ALSO has a white, jewish mommy.

"By the way, what is YOUR sound?"

7:43 is what I listened and where I stopped lol I’m not listening to these bozos for an hr

But he made the point I made a while back and ppl tried to ridicule me for me when I said

“ what exactly do we know about Toronto s culture from Drake s music”

He ain’t event got the accent lol
Like he hit the scene sound like a southern artist and never stopped co opting

Like what is Toronto s sound musically and with them having the biggest artist in the world to date we don’t know lol

@Los216 Ebro makes some really good points at 7:43 if you still need some more clarity on the colonizer shit. I think it also hits a little harder considering he ALSO has a white, jewish mommy.

"By the way, what is YOUR sound?"

First of let me say I understand what Ebro was saying but,

This is just trying to box hip hop in and only make it regional which I only see people doing when they don't like something.

The regional argument in hip hop stopped being valid as the culture got bigger. Before rappers were really moving around and working with different producers at the scale that they do now, the regional argument could be used. Not in 2024.

But now, with how big hip hop is, trying to box hip hop artist into a specific sound is a small minded view.

Not to mention that there are rappers and producers all over that do not sound like the sound that their regions are known for. Also, people always twist the narratives on where people come from or where they grew up to try and make their points.

How many rappers were born in regions and grew up in regions that sound nothing like their sound? Plenty. Same goes for producers.

My belief is that instead of judging a rapper or producer on the classifications on their sound, we should judge their quality and skill level. A great rapper sounds good in any region and can sound good on any style, flow, production. People are trying to make an argument against Drake saying he has no identity and no sound when that's not true. He's from Toronto. What's their sound? Are they not allowed to have their own sound because they aren't in America? Does Drake spending time in Memphis mean that he should have a Memphis sound to his music like 3-6 Mafia? If he lived in Houston is he not allowed to have a Houston sound?

And at the end of the day is he good? Is this rapper or producer that has been in and lived in many regions good at what he does? The answer for Drake is absolutely yes. It's harder to do what Drake does than what rappers who are regional (local) do.

This ain't the 80's or early 90's when the sounds were new. You don't have to grow up in Atlanta to sound like OutKast. Hip hop shouldn't be limited to a few regions and anytime that happens it's usually done to discredit people and not appreciate their talent and skill which Drake has and it's undeniable. So now since people can't deny his talent they will try to discredit him by questioning where he's from or who he is like questioning his Blackness?

You notice that they're questioning his sound and not his skill?

Why?

It's because his skill is undeniable and since people can't deny that they'll look to find ways to discredit him or knock him down.

The last point I'll make is a question.

What's 2Pac's sound?

This is just trying to box hip hop in and only make it regional which I only see people doing when they don't like something.

The regional argument in hip hop stopped being valid as the culture got bigger. Before rappers were really moving around and working with different producers at the scale that they do now, the regional argument could be used. Not in 2024.

But now, with how big hip hop is, trying to box hip hop artist into a specific sound is a small minded view.

Not to mention that there are rappers and producers all over that do not sound like the sound that their regions are known for. Also, people always twist the narratives on where people come from or where they grew up to try and make their points.

How many rappers were born in regions and grew up in regions that sound nothing like their sound? Plenty. Same goes for producers.

My belief is that instead of judging a rapper or producer on the classifications on their sound, we should judge their quality and skill level. A great rapper sounds good in any region and can sound good on any style, flow, production. People are trying to make an argument against Drake saying he has no identity and no sound when that's not true. He's from Toronto. What's their sound? Are they not allowed to have their own sound because they aren't in America? Does Drake spending time in Memphis mean that he should have a Memphis sound to his music like 3-6 Mafia? If he lived in Houston is he not allowed to have a Houston sound?

And at the end of the day is he good? Is this rapper or producer that has been in and lived in many regions good at what he does? The answer for Drake is absolutely yes. It's harder to do what Drake does than what rappers who are regional (local) do.

This ain't the 80's or early 90's when the sounds were new. You don't have to grow up in Atlanta to sound like OutKast. Hip hop shouldn't be limited to a few regions and anytime that happens it's usually done to discredit people and not appreciate their talent and skill which Drake has and it's undeniable. So now since people can't deny his talent they will try to discredit him by questioning where he's from or who he is like questioning his Blackness?

Why?

It's because his skill is undeniable and since people can't deny that they'll look to find ways to discredit him or knock him down.

What's 2Pac's sound?
Eh

Pac on his pre death row projects sounds nothing like what we got once he was on death row imo

His content was largely the same but he presented it differently respective to where he was geographically

To me, pac never sounded East or West Coast compared to his peers, but I do have ears of a southerner so there's that. He was just pac

7:43 is what I listened and where I stopped lol I’m not listening to these bozos for an hr

But he made the point I made a while back and ppl tried to ridicule me for me when I said

“ what exactly do we know about Toronto s culture from Drake s music”

He ain’t event got the accent lol
Like he hit the scene sound like a southern artist and never stopped co opting

Like what is Toronto s sound musically and with them having the biggest artist in the world to date we don’t know lol

When Drake finally broke into the mainstream it was under Lil Wayne. A rapper from N.O. who was probably the biggest rapper in the game at the time in 2008-2009.

Comeback Season Drake sounds different than So Far So Gone and Thank Me Later Drake because by So Far So Gone, Drake had been exposed to more shit than what was in his region.

Sticking with Lil Wayne as an example, are we gonna sit here and pretend like DipSet didn't have a huge influence on Lil Wayne's music? DipSet from Harlem was very influential in Lil Wayne's music. So was Gillie Da Kid from Philly. Niggas wasn't questioning Lil Wayne's sound during his run and if they were they damn sure weren't doing it at a large enough scale to try and slow him down.

Like, the DJ Drama and Gillie influence on Lil Wayne's music is quite clear during the Mixtape Weezy era. Has Wayn'es music always sounded liek it was made and produced in N.O.? No. He evolved as an artist. Reinvented himself. When Wayne was living in Miami circa 2008-2009 you could hear the difference in his music. Drought 3 sounds nothing like 500 Degreez and 500 Degreez was the first rap album I bought with my own money (along with Nellyviille lol it was a classic don't judge).

Rappers sounds and influences evolve as they grow in the game. The question that people should be asking of Drake is does his sound travel? Is his music good no matter what region it's being influenced by? Has he had different eras like plenty of rappers have? The answer is a resounding yes.

Mixtape Weezy is a whole era of rap and a run that Lil Wayne went on and that era for Wayne was heavily influenced by East Coast rappers. Nobody is gonna check him for that and they shouldn't because trying to pin a rapper down to a regional sound is only something that people do when they want to discredit them.

Eh

Pac on his pre death row projects sounds nothing like what we got once he was on death row imo

His content was largely the same but he presented it differently respective to where he was geographically

To me, pac never sounded East or West Coast compared to his peers, but I do have ears of a southerner so there's that. He was just pac

Now do Drake

Fam that’s too many words lol for you to be still missing the point

First of it ain't that many words nigga. Secondly, I think there's flaws in the regional argument. It's only used negatively and ignored positively. Hater shit but people are entitled to their opinions.

Reactions: GNS
And I don't know this for a fact and I'm just basing it off of what other rappers and people in hip hop have said but when Drake has been making music in those other regions like Houston, Atlanta, and Miami, Drake has showed love. That's according to Bun B, Young Thug, and even Rick Ross. So it's not like when Drake had all of these different sounds people are saying he has that he was doing it on some identity crisis shit. Niggas just try to paint it that way when they're attacking or trying to discredit but I get it.

Reactions: GNS

Why?

What's 2Pac's sound?

You should have something that is YOU as an artist.... or you're not an ARTIST... you're a hack. Nobody is diminishing Drake's lyrical gifts or his talent. We get it. All that cross-pollination shit happens in hip hop but there is a difference between influence and imitation. Everyone borrows and reinterprets elements from different artists and regions. Drake STEALS from his peers. He traces. You're correct. His skill is undeniable. Does that mean we can't talk about this? It's completely off of the table to discuss any areas where Drake is weak?

With so many different flows there's one for this song
The next one I switch up, this one will get bit up
These fucks, too lazy to make up shit, they crazy
They don't, paint pictures, they just, trace me
You know what? Soon they forget where they plucked
they whole style from, they try to reverse the outcome

I'm like, tough

Go listen to "To live and die in LA" if you need help with understanding Pac's sound. It's Cali. Everything about Pac is Cali, so that's his sound.

Nah it’s a wrap everything else that happens from Drake s side would be seen as Super Ugly type desperation

If Drake was a slimy nigga like I am I had dropped photoshopped pics of Dave Free and Whitney And photoshopped a DNA result

But that’s just me lol
Shit if he offer Jayceon Taylor a joint album. Game would run around lying that he fucked Whitney too

And I don't know this for a fact and I'm just basing it off of what other rappers and people in hip hop have said but when Drake has been making music in those other regions like Houston, Atlanta, and Miami, Drake has showed love. That's according to Bun B, Young Thug, and even Rick Ross. So it's not like when Drake had all of these different sounds people are saying he has that he was doing it on some identity crisis shit. Niggas just try to paint it that way when they're attacking or trying to discredit but I get it.

You right. Drake makes great ATL, Houston, and Miami music. Now tell him go make his own.

But first, he needs to figure out what that is. Does he know?

Sad part is NLU ain't nowhere near as good as Family Matters. Just the funny kid being funny for the class to get the leg up.

Euphoria and Family Matters are the height of the disses followed with Meet The Grahams.
I get what you're saying but NLU had the strongest impact of any of the disses by far.

You should have something that is YOU as an artist.... or you're not an ARTIST... you're a hack. Nobody is diminishing Drake's lyrical gifts or his talent. We get it. All that cross-pollination shit happens in hip hop but there is a difference between influence and imitation. Everyone borrows and reinterprets elements from different artists and regions. Drake STEALS from his peers. He traces. You're correct. His skill is undeniable. Does that mean we can't talk about this? It's completely off of the table to discuss any areas where Drake is weak?

With so many different flows there's one for this song
The next one I switch up, this one will get bit up
These fucks, too lazy to make up shit, they crazy
They don't, paint pictures, they just, trace me
You know what? Soon they forget where they plucked
they whole style from, they try to reverse the outcome

I'm like, tough

Go listen to "To live and die in LA" if you need help with understanding Pac's sound. It's Cali. Everything about Pac is Cali, so that's his sound.

“You jack a person’s lyrics and you don’t even make a phone call? What kind of game is that? That’s not hip-hop,” he said.

Back