Welcome To aBlackWeb

Who was the bigger artist from 96-01?

AP2.5

I was really really tryna keep it PG
Site Administrator
Try not to think of how you feel about them today. Try to put yourself BACK during these times and try to be objective. However old you were at that time, and not based on how you view music now.

Out of Mystikal and Outkast, who was the bigger artist?

Outkast

Mystikal

i'm going somewhere with this

no trolling

OutKast for me. Their music held up better years later and still till this day.
Fucked up part about this comparison is that Tarantula was Mystikal's last official album. That nigga just lazy. I was expecting some heat when he got out.
Only thing he did was that Rich Gang shit, that Bruno song, two freestyles the one in car with Mannie and another in the studio.
I listen to his albums but I always find myself jamming his first album with Big Boy a lot more.

ok ok

i want to try to keep the focus on that period where you were when those projects dropped and not a revisionist/hindsight pov

so, would any of you agree that Mystikal was the bigger artist but Kast had the better body of work?

ok ok

i want to try to keep the focus on that period where you were when those projects dropped and not a revisionist/hindsight pov

so, would any of you agree that Mystikal was the bigger artist but Kast had the better body of work?
No.

Back then it was Mystikal for me, wasn't into Kast like that when I was in Middle/High School.

The older me likes Outkast better, even the stuff released from that time period.

ok, so lets add a twist to it

i think most of the "best hip hop albums of 98" lists contain all the heavy hitters across the net

are there any albums on it that you would remove to place a Mystikal album in its place?

Mystikal was a slight level above regional in 96 and 97, while OutKast during those years were an already established group with records sold, hits and critical acclaim. In 98 and 99 Mystikal was running behind Master P and Silk and C Murder as the 4th wheel on No Limit while OutKast was putting out arguably their best album and making more hits and winning awards. You may only have an argument for 2000-2001, and even then OutKast dropped Ms Jackson which crossed them over to pop audiences and was their biggest hit up to that point. Yeah Mystikal was out of Master P’s shadow at this point and he had some hits like Shake Ya Ass but even then he still wasn’t bigger than OutKast.

ok, so lets add a twist to it

i think most of the "best hip hop albums of 98" lists contain all the heavy hitters across the net

are there any albums on it that you would remove to place a Mystikal album in its place?

Nah, 98 has way too many classics i'd put above it.

I wasn't rocking with OutKast like that at that moment.

They grew on me later. But when I was in college back in 2000-2001 I fucked with Mystikal heavily.

Chicks would go off to that shit

I'll tell ya'll what i told Knock

freshman year HS AP would definitely put mystikal or probably any other No Limit album ahead of practically everyone who was out during that time. Their music was the soundtrack to my formidable years.

So i can concede to knock that Mystikal may have a claim to being the bigger artist during that span, but his body of work, while no slouch, is not better than Outkast's body of work with me being 36 now, and that should be ok.

Back