Welcome To aBlackWeb

Who Ran Hip Hop In 1998

Who Ran Hip Hop In 1998

• Total voters
which nobody coming from Louisiana would....just demographics

no excuses, this is really a whole other thread....but it aint/wasnt no major labels down here

there was never ever gonna be those kinda numbers coming from this way

give Jay his whole catalog, everything the same but he's from Indiana.......not a chance in hell he does what NYC Jay has done

he's still super Jay man, no credit taken

put him anywhere on gods green earth he'll triple his worth

:smh:

lol U can't make that argument when P had a multi plat album that year fam. They had thousands of albums that dropped and 99% were boo boo.

yeah he went low quality on a lotta those

and im not saying NO platinum albums can happen in the south

but lets say the heavyweights down here had major metropolitan cities behind them from jump, and all the big labels were stationed here......

or again lets just say DMX was on some independent shit....

them numbers are changing.......he still great, NL still microwaved a lotta shit.....just the numbers are different

Yea im not buying it fam lol The highest selling hiphop album of alltime is from a southern group

They were dropping diamond albums lol big difference. They literally had the #1 spot on the charts from the beginning of the year to the end of the year. Completely different level fam.
But Mase, Puff and Big were superstars. Who besides Master P was a superstar for NL? And sold like those aforementioned 3?
Yeah did any of those No Limit albums go multiplat?

I give Master P props for his hustle and Ghetto D is a good listen but he wasn't moving units like Jay Z, Lauryn Hill, DMX or, well, Will Smith.
All of the following spent time at or near the Billboards 200 and/or R&B Hip Hop Alnums charts in 1998

Master P’s MP DA Last Don sold 4 million copies

Snoop’s Da Game Is To Be Sold, Not To Be Told went double platinum

Mystikal’s Unpredictable and Ghetto Fabolous both went platinum

Young Bleed’s My Balls And My World went platinum

Silkk The Shocker’s Charge It 2 Da Game went platinum

C-Murder’s Life Or Death went platinum

I Got The Hook Up Soundtrack went platinum

No Limit Records was MONEY in 1998!!!

:paid:

All of the following spent time at or near the Billboards 200 and/or R&B Hip Hop Alnums charts in 1998

Master P’s MP DA Last Don sold 4 million copies

Snoop’s Da Game Is To Be Sold, Not To Be Told went double platinum

Mystikal’s Unpredictable and Ghetto Fabolous both went platinum

Young Bleed’s My Balls And My World went platinum

Silkk The Shocker’s Charge It 2 Da Game went platinum

C-Murder’s Life Or Death went platinum

I Got The Hook Up Soundtrack went platinum

No Limit Records was MONEY in 1998!!!

:paid:

lol biggie sold more than all of those put together with 1 album, puff almost did too.

which nobody coming from Louisiana would....just demographics

no excuses, this is really a whole other thread....but it aint/wasnt no major labels down here

there was never ever gonna be those kinda numbers coming from this way

give Jay his whole catalog, everything the same but he's from Indiana.......not a chance in hell he does what NYC Jay has done
yeah he went low quality on a lotta those

and im not saying NO platinum albums can happen in the south

but lets say the heavyweights down here had major metropolitan cities behind them from jump, and all the big labels were stationed here......

or again lets just say DMX was on some independent shit....

them numbers are changing.......he still great, NL still microwaved a lotta shit.....just the numbers are different
GOAT level posting right here!

The East Coast and West Coast had/have a definite advantage over Midwest and some Southern areas. No doubt.

If Twista was from Cali or New York, his career would have been waaaaaayyyyy bigger than what it ended up being.

Reactions: 1/2
Yea im not buying it fam lol The highest selling hiphop album of alltime is from a southern group

which is???? i seriously have no idea its ya'll that pull billboard numbers

yeah I didnt even know any of those went Plat......Young Bleed???

everybody else says they were regional

which is???? i seriously have no idea its ya'll that pull billboard numbers

yeah I didnt even know any of those went Plat......Young Bleed???

everybody else says they were regional

Outkast has the highest selling hiphop album of alltime

lol biggie sold more than all of those put together with 1 album, puff almost did too.
This is the point I believe @1/2 is making.

If any of those “platinum” albums by No Limit would have had the New York Bad Boy support that Biggie and Mase had, shiiiiiittttt, those albums would have gone diamond!!!

Reactions: 1/2
basically.......NY has neighborhoods that has as many people as some of our cities here....N.O. pop is 369,000 right now.....it was lower then

thats what, one or two boroughs?

most radio stations aint even syndicated.....you go 40+ miles up the highway that shit is gone, gotta find a new station

The debate has steered away from the thread topic, but i'm down to keep debating this.

With that said, Dmx, Jay and L.Hill had more sales and better quality albums. Them>>>>N.L as far as MVP.

Aight, then lets continue lol

What year do you think it no longer mattered where u from as far as sales?

Back