Welcome To aBlackWeb

Who Ran Hip Hop In 1998

Who Ran Hip Hop In 1998

• Total voters
Aight, then lets continue lol

What year do you think it no longer mattered where u from as far as sales?

whatever year Atlanta became the whole south lol

before that ATL surge a lot of our shit was and still is considered regional

I'd say 98 it no longer mattered. Master P went 4x plat and was on the radio,bet,mtv, etc. By then, the playing field was pretty even.

IF you got signed to a major and left your town lol

nobody else has done what P didnt independently

IF you got signed to a major and left your town lol

nobody else has done what P didnt independently

That's what most artists did tho, shit even P went to the west coast first then brought it back south.

Reactions: 1/2
aight

ya'll didnt know who Boosie was until Wipe me down and Zoom but he was legend here

if HERE had 4-5 million people and Trill Fam was a division of Def Jam, you dont think that would make a huge difference in that?

aight

ya'll didnt know who Boosie was until Wipe me down and Zoom but he was legend here

if HERE had 4-5 million people and Trill Fam was a division of Def Jam, you dont think that would make a huge difference in that?

lol you're comparing independent labels to majors, by then there were madddd southern artists on majors.

Atl pop is 400k , but outkast has the highest selling album in hiphop history...

lol you're comparing independent labels to majors, by then there were madddd southern artists on majors.

Atl pop is 400k , but outkast has the highest selling album in hiphop history...

no....that came from me looking at the Roc...which was under def jam....in the highest populated city in the us

every label grabbed a token southern artist while they were hot

and again, atlanta is/was more of a major city......their radio got to surrounding states.....they had connect with other big cities

who fucks wit Baton Rouge? are there any major labels based there? like the main office

im not arguing talent or quality....i just wont budge on the notion that having 8.5 million people in your area is gonna have a factor in outselling an artist from a place with fractions of that

the dream is right outside, you can see it

no....that came from me looking at the Roc...which was under def jam....in the highest populated city in the us

every label grabbed a token southern artist while they were hot

and again, atlanta is/was more of a major city......their radio got to surrounding states.....they had connect with other big cities

who fucks wit Baton Rouge? are there any major labels based there? like the main office

im not arguing talent or quality....i just wont budge on the notion that having 8.5 million people in your area is gonna have a factor in outselling an artist from a place with fractions of that

the dream is right outside, you can see it

N.O doesn't have surrounding citites?

If atlanta artists were able to blow with only 400k pop, there's no excuse for the other cities. Cash Money was going plat back to back out the gate. Lil wayne went plat on his debut as a kid, from the same damn area , IN THE 90s! lol

Nope, not buying it

By then the “region” sound was essentially dead. No one cared about region at that point and that still stands til this day.

I'm more so asking, when was it to where southern artists were able to sell big and get on BET, MTV, etc.

I'm more so asking, when was it to where southern artists were able to sell big and get on BET, MTV, etc.
Mid 00’s. Because unless you were a niche act like Quad City DJ’s you weren’t getting on MTV or BET, or Scarface, Outkast, and later Master P and Cash Money you weren’t selling. Once the mid 00’s hit that’s when the shift took place and if you claimed the south you were gonna eat.

Mid 00’s. Because unless you were a niche act like Quad City DJ’s you weren’t getting on MTV or BET, or Scarface, Outkast, and later Master P and Cash Money you weren’t selling. Once the mid 00’s hit that’s when the shift took place and if you claimed the south you were gonna eat.

lol nigga what? There were mad other southern rappers selling before mid 2000s.

Back in the late 80's 2 Live Crew was going platinum and getting their videos played on MTV and BET. MC Twist and MC Shy D also got a lil burn. And Tag Team blew up with Whoot There It Is.

My point is that when the South releases good music it blows up just like any other region.

You said big sellers

missy was going plat in the 90s, so was timbo, luda 3x plat in 2001, 3-6 was plat in 2000,shit even lil flip was going plat in the early 2000s etc. I aint even get to the midwest with bone selling like crazy

Nelly in 2000?

tenor.gif

missy was going plat in the 90s, so was timbo, luda 3x plat in 2001, 3-6 was plat in 2000,shit even lil flip was going plat in the early 2000s etc. I aint even get to the midwest with bone selling like crazy
Lol I’m answering the question based on how you worded. By the mid to late 00’s regions meant nothing.

Lol I’m answering the question based on how you worded. By the mid to late 00’s regions meant nothing.

By mid 2000s the SOUND of hiphop didn't matter cause everybody started sounding the same, but in order to sale and get on tv, etc, by the late 90s , it didn't matter where you were from. U could be nelly for st louis or em from detriot, or luda from atl, 3-6 from memphis, etc and sell big.

Back