Welcome To aBlackWeb

What's The Weirdest Thing Society Accepts As Normal?

Subscriptions for everything.... the plan is that we will own NOTHING, but pay in perpetuity. I believe housing is going to be subscription based at some point in the future. There's already 40-50 year mortgage products...blame inflation right?

CoD is 69.99, but most new games come out at 59.99, and AAA games are absolutely more expensive to make, so it's not surprising we saw and increase from 49.99 to 59.99. That said, digital games go on sale a lot. I mean the PSN has been running a big sale all summer. It's not unusual to wait a couple months after a game releases and get it for 20 less. That doesn't really happen with physical games.

At the end of the day, I like the convenience. I don't have to worry about switching discs if I want to play a different game, and if I go visit fam for a week and a half and decide to take my PS5. I don't have to lug discs around with me. I can just play off the system.

Somewhat unrelated, but NES games costed about $30-$50 back then which would be the equivalent of $115-$190 in today's money. So games are actually a lot cheaper than they were.
I'm not disagreeing with the crux of your response, however, a lot of games had better quality control and didn't ship with nearly as many bugs cause there was no such thing as a day one patch.

There was also a time where some games due to file size had to be shipped on double disc where one disc was exclusively files and the other was the game disc. Digital gaming has alleviated the need for that as two discs still counted as one sale. Developers also claimed that the file capacity of discs hampered their development but then Sony started burning their games to blu Ray discs I believe which doubled or tripled the original disc size.

Then there's the fault of the manufacturer who would have machines that scratched discs cause of a design flaw.

Games also cost way more to create than ever before. A video game costing just a million dollars is like a cheap indie game, maybe games before the ps2 era. Today these games cost 10s to 20 million dollar cost to make them. Graphic designers, music, licensing (major importance) actors (even AAA stars), all the computer recoding, different tools they use to make things more real.

With all of that, the game is half finished because shit is rushed so it can be developed in 2 or 3 years. Then you have patches, buffs, & nerfs all the damn time for the next 3 or so years of playing the game. DLC is planed out while making the game. How the hell are we hyped for DLC when the game just came out? Put that shit in the game DAY 1, but not today’s game. DLC is planned out months in advanced. Maybe all planed out together for a 5 to 6 year strategy. Making the game, patches, DLC, etc. Look at MK and street fighter, I gotta pay for Akuma again.

Finally another way these gaming companies are making their money is with micro transactions and almost making them like mobile games. Like MK 11 with their crystal packs to unlock skins, moves, and I think characters. These companies realize that mobile games make lots of money. Less to produce than a console, everyone has a phone compared to console, everyone gives $1 or more for whatever game it is.

Game
DLC
Micro transactions

Then you get the profit from it until the next game

Subscriptions for everything.... the plan is that we will own NOTHING, but pay in perpetuity. I believe housing is going to be subscription based at some point in the future. There's already 40-50 year mortgage products...blame inflation right?
Housing is already subscription based. It's just called rent.

I feel you tho. The middle class is getting eliminated. They don't want people to survive in the middle through ownership whether through business or property. Big corp tired of that shit.

They just passed some Bill or something in California I believe that basically says we do not actually own these games we buy

If something happens with a company and their game, they can simply remove it from a digital marketplace and you will never be able to play it again unless you own a physical copy provided one exists in the first place

Also, call of duty modern warfare I believe was the first game that introduced the current 69.99 price tag. Or is it 59.99?

Whatever, but the reason they did this was to claim that the games were getting more and more expensive to make and the old 49.99 wasn't enough to recoup costs on the front end . Plus the cost to make discs, cases, cover art and manuals.

With digital gaming, you have eliminated all of these so why is the cost still the same as when you had physical copies of games?
And yet some will release a game and then release season passes or dlc that really should have been included in the base game

Games also cost way more to create than ever before. A video game costing just a million dollars is like a cheap indie game, maybe games before the ps2 era. Today these games cost 10s to 20 million dollar cost to make them. Graphic designers, music, licensing (major importance) actors (even AAA stars), all the computer recoding, different tools they use to make things more real.

With all of that, the game is half finished because shit is rushed so it can be developed in 2 or 3 years. Then you have patches, buffs, & nerfs all the damn time for the next 3 or so years of playing the game. DLC is planed out while making the game. How the hell are we hyped for DLC when the game just came out? Put that shit in the game DAY 1, but not today’s game. DLC is planned out months in advanced. Maybe all planed out together for a 5 to 6 year strategy. Making the game, patches, DLC, etc. Look at MK and street fighter, I gotta pay for Akuma again.

Finally another way these gaming companies are making their money is with micro transactions and almost making them like mobile games. Like MK 11 with their crystal packs to unlock skins, moves, and I think characters. These companies realize that mobile games make lots of money. Less to produce than a console, everyone has a phone compared to console, everyone gives $1 or more for whatever game it is.

Game
DLC
Micro transactions

Then you get the profit from it until the next game
Micro transactions is one of the reasons that got me to stop playing cod. Greedy as hell

I'm not disagreeing with the crux of your response, however, a lot of games had better quality control and didn't ship with nearly as many bugs cause there was no such thing as a day one patch.

There was also a time where some games due to file size had to be shipped on double disc where one disc was exclusively files and the other was the game disc. Digital gaming has alleviated the need for that as two discs still counted as one sale. Developers also claimed that the file capacity of discs hampered their development but then Sony started burning their games to blu Ray discs I believe which doubled or tripled the original disc size.

Then there's the fault of the manufacturer who would have machines that scratched discs cause of a design flaw.

The QC point is definitely true. They put out a lot more broken games now than they did before. That said. In the past, if there were bugs and problems with games, you were just fucked. Nowadays, they can push out fixes for those bugs, so that's a decent tradeoff.

The QC point is definitely true. They put out a lot more broken games now than they did before. That said. In the past, if there were bugs and problems with games, you were just fucked. Nowadays, they can push out fixes for those bugs, so that's a decent tradeoff.

True, which is why it was so important back inna day to put out a 100% finished, bug free game. If something gets past QC, it's pretty costly to re-release the game and offer refunds or disc exchanges to consumers so getting it right the first time was extremely important.

I bought Discworld for the PSX back in '96. The game had glitches in it that slipped by QC in it's initial run but were corrected later and re-released bug free. I had lost interest in the game by then so I traded it for something else at FuncoLand (where I worked at the time).

People willing to buy their progress in a game and devs love that
"Pay to play"

The most I'll spend is that initial 9.99 for a battle pass then I'ma just grind it out to earn the in game currency to buy future battle passes

We've definitely allowed developers and even Microsoft/Sony dictate what's supposed to be normal. $80 for a controller is insane. $700 for a console that barely added anything is insane

And yet some will release a game and then release season passes or dlc that really should have been included in the base game
See? another reason why people shouldn’t be paying full price for a digital only version of a game. Seems like it should cost at most 70% of the full price. And physical copies should come with credits for future updates that they intend to charge for later, with discretion. Either that or change the physical format so that the IP is already there in the first place. Why do we HAVE to ping to an online server just play it? And any further expansion updates should be a secondary thing altogether not a normalized part of the original intended experience. Gamers just normalized letting these companies mess over them

Last edited:
See? another reason why people shouldn’t be paying full price for a digital only version of a game. Seems like it at least 30% of the price. And physical copies should come with credits for future updates that they aren’t available. Either that or change the physical format so that the IP is already there in the first place. The update should be a secondary thing altogether not a normalized part of the original intended experience.

In here

Back