What is reality? (Avengers Infinity War Spoilers)

Soul_Rattler

Dec 21, 2017
29970bc47a4febb419af4571a47f0aa9.gif

This thread will contain spoilers for Infinity War. So if you have yet to see it, proceed with caution.

The second one is pretty much what I said. In order to create more resources, you would need to basically warp reality. In the comics, the Reality Gem could do that. In the movie, the Reality Stone was not that powerful. It couldn't actually warp reality. It only warped people's perception of reality.

The funny thing is Thanos is probably the most nerfed character in comic book movie history. You could argue that MCU Thanos + Infinity Stones would still be a nerfed version of comic Thanos.

not sure how true that is... in Thor dark world them dark elf niggas was tryna use the aether/reality stone to put the universe into darkness if I remember correctly.. not the perception of darkness.. *shrugs*

It affected reality not the perception

I've seen you repeat the bold but, how true is your statement? He turned Star Lord's blast into bubbles, turned Gammora's knife to bubbles and folded reality to bring Dr. Strange to him. How are those simply effects on perception?
As the saying goes, perception is reality. From what I can tell, the reality stone can manipulate the perception of anyone the user wants, including the user itself.

So maybe in that moment, Thanos manipulated the perception of reality of everyone, including himself. So when Starlord tried to shoot Gamora, Thanos manipulated the reality as they saw it. The bubbles were as real as Thanos wanted them to be, even if only temporarily so. I believe in the theory of universal relativity, that everything, including reality, is relative and subjective.

Is perception reality, or is reality independent from perception?

As the saying goes, perception is reality. From what I can tell, the reality stone can manipulate the perception of anyone the user wants, including the user itself.

So maybe in that moment, Thanos manipulated the perception of reality of everyone, including himself. So when Starlord tried to shoot Gamora, Thanos manipulated the reality as they saw it. The bubbles were as real as Thanos wanted them to be, even if only temporarily so. I believe in the theory of universal relativity, that everything, including reality, is relative and subjective.

Is perception reality, or is reality independent from perception?

Ok so let's go back to my point about them dark elf cats in Thor Dark world... the whole plot of the movie was them trying to get the Reality stone to put the universe back into darkness... that wasn't just perception for the moment.. that was literally plunging the universe into darkness bruh.. forever lol

Ok so let's go back to my point about them dark elf cats in Thor Dark world... the whole plot of the movie was them trying to get the Reality stone to put the universe back into darkness... that wasn't just perception for the moment.. that was literally plunging the universe into darkness bruh.. forever lol
Or at least their perception of the universe was going to be plunged into darkness.

Plus there was a revenge motive with them. While they could have just isolated themselves on a dark planet, they wanted to change the universe because of what Odin did to them.

Ok how are we defining perception and reality in this debate yall?

because if your perception is not in tune with what REALITY is... then ur delusional... last I checked it wasn't called the delusion stone

Ok how are we defining perception and reality in this debate yall?

because if your perception is not in tune with what REALITY is... then ur delusional... last I checked it wasn't called the delusion stone
Yea but the perception of the powerful Can totally impact reality,

Most villains have a perception that's not exactly reality.... But because they have the power to force it in others.... It soon becomes reality

Yea but the perception of the powerful Can totally impact reality,

Most villains have a perception that's not exactly reality.... But because they have the power to force it in others.... It soon becomes reality

soooo when half the universe just turned to ashes n shit.. their reality was just altered to fit what one powerful person wanted. They just perceived themselves unwillingly out of existence at the snap of somebody elses finger.. cuz thats how reality works.. bet

I forgot that he used the reality stone to wipe out half the population of the universe! How'd I miss that example?

Anyway, Reality is what is. Perception is how view what is. I know people whose perception is truly their reality. As it has been pointed out, we call those people delusional.

soooo when half the universe just turned to ashes n shit.. their reality was just altered to fit what one powerful person wanted. They just perceived themselves unwillingly out of existence at the snap of somebody elses finger.. cuz thats how reality works.. bet
Well that has yet to be seen because I don't think that half of the universe is "dead". I think Thanos snapped them out of existence, which is different than just killing them.

But (assuming you're black) a white person called you a thug or criminal, or treated you as such based on their perception of you, that wouldn't make you a thug unless you allowed their perception of you to dictate your reality, and theirs as well.

I forgot that he used the reality stone to wipe out half the population of the universe! How'd I miss that example?

Anyway, Reality is what is. Perception is how view what is. I know people whose perception is truly their reality. As it has been pointed out, we call those people delusional.
What about people who are sheltered from the world beyond their surroundings? I.e. extremely rich or extremely poor people

What about people who are sheltered from the world beyond their surroundings? I.e. extremely rich or extremely poor people

I'm willing to bet you'd find different perceptions in both groups. But reality is what it is.

Well that has yet to be seen because I don't think that half of the universe is "dead". I think Thanos snapped them out of existence, which is different than just killing them.

But (assuming you're black) a white person called you a thug or criminal, or treated you as such based on their perception of you, that wouldn't make you a thug unless you allowed their perception of you to dictate your reality, and theirs as well.

Ok dead or snapped out of existence..thats semantics at this point.....

either way.. those that faded away aint perceiving a damn thing no more... they dusted and gone.. And that they had no choice in the matter right?... it wasn't something that they just imagined/perceived.. that shit actually happened to them lol

this is why I was trying to get qualifiers here..are we talking about the movie or we talking about our everyday lives fam? Those are two completely different conversations lol

I'm willing to bet you'd find different perceptions in both groups. But reality is what it is.
My point is that their realities are shaped by their perceptions and they can only transcend their reality by having their perceptions widened to include things not previously perceived.
Ok dead or snapped out of existence..thats semantics at this point.....

either way.. those that faded away aint perceiving a damn thing no more... they dusted and gone.. And that they had no choice in the matter right?... it wasn't something that they just imagined/perceived.. that shit actually happened to them lol

this is why I was trying to get qualifiers here..are we talking about the movie or we talking about our everyday lives fam? Those are two completely different conversations lol
Both.

That was my point in saying that the reality stone can affect the perception of whoever its user wants, including the user himself. Thanos changed HIS reality and the reality of everyone in the universe.

I mean I ain't see the movie, but I've watched mad emergency awesome and other spoiler videos, they kept saying the soul Stone erased all the people.

Not the reality.

The rest of the stones just boosted soul to have the power....