Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION The Wire - A Hindsight Discussion

Probably because you aren’t schooled in subtlety. Things have to be blasted at you or pointed out to you before you see them.

I just talked to another friend, who laughingly agreed with me when I had this discussion with him. He saw it too, although it took me the second time around to catch it.

You would have to watch all of Brother Mouzone’s scenes, and listen very carefully, while he insults his driver for being homophobic. And also the surprise scene with Rawls was meant to drive the point home that some the strongest and deadliest characters in the Wire are hidden homosexuals.
nah, you and ya friend buggin lol

the point again with Rawls was to show his contradiction about his attitude about homosexuals and being one on the dl

When they killed Omar's boy in season 1 they paid Wallace but Poot was the one that saw him and got left out of the reward

nah, you and ya friend buggin lol

the point again with Rawls was to show his contradiction about his attitude about homosexuals and being one on the dl

No it wasn’t, because that wasn’t the main point of Rawls’s character or any of the character’s of the wire. Once it was revealed that a character was gay, there was no big deal made out it. That’s because the crime and brutality of Baltimore was the focus, and not the sexuality of any of the characters. They chose that scene to reveal Rawls’ sexuality to bring home Brother Mauzone’s. In that moment, an individual is given permission to accept that people aren’t who we generalize them to be—-and that you can be tough and strong and hold a position of respect and authority, and still have a different orientation.

And the scene between Omar and Brother Mauzone in the alley was subtly homo-erotic. That scene was so long and intense, with full focus on Brother’s disarming soft words and compliments to Omar—who he knew was gay—because he had been told that Omar liked to run with boys—was very homoerotic as they focused on Brother’s glossed lips. Brother had more lip-gloss on than any of the women or any character on that show.

I edidn’t understand why he wore so much lip-gloss until the gay bar scene, where he berates his driver for being so homophobic—-and then Rawls—another unlikely gay character, shows up.

Last edited:

They ought to rename Brother Mauzone ‘“lipgloss.” When he was in the alley with Omar, they should have softly been playing ‘Distant Lover” by Marvin Gaye in the background.

Last edited:
No it wasn’t, because that wasn’t the main point of Rawls’s character or any of the character’s of the wire. Once it was revealed that a character was gay, there was no big deal made out it. That’s because the crime and brutality of Baltimore was the focus, and not the sexuality of any of the characters. They chose that scene to reveal Rawls’ sexuality to bring home Brother Mauzone’s. In that moment, an individual is given permission to accept that people aren’t who we generalize them to be—-and that you can be tough and strong and hold a position of respect and authority, and still have a different orientation.

And the scene between Omar and Brother Mauzone in the alley was subtly homo-erotic. That scene was so long and intense, with full focus on Brother’s disarming soft words and compliments to Omar—who he knew was gay—because he had been told that Omar liked to run with boys—was very homoerotic as they focused on Brother’s glossed lips. Brother had more lip-gloss on than any of the women or any character on that show.

I didn’t understand why he wore so much lip-gloss until the gay bar scene, where he berates his driver for being so homophobic—-and then Rawls—another unlikely gay character, shows up.
hey Pico

Niggas in here wilding....like I said Marlo and Chris in season had some gay innuendos going on but Brother Mouzone? Lol

Niggas in here wilding....like I said Marlo and Chris in season had some gay innuendos going on but Brother Mouzone? Lol

I’ll check out whether there is any gay innuendo between Marlo and Chris, but the gay bar scene dialogue between Brother and Lamar, and the extended scene between Omar and Brother Lipgloss are both nakedly and transparently homo suggestive. Like I stated before; I was younger when I first saw The Wire, and the Gay innuendos flew right over my head. I am currently rewatching and am now up to season four. Lamar is not gay, but Brother Lipgloss is. Listen deeply to what he is saying to Lamar, and how He—a supposed Muslim— is degrading him for being homophobic. Also listen to how Brother Lipgloss is pandering and talking sweetly to Omar; telling him that he admires confident men.

Note that Brother Lipgloss had already been told about Omar’s sexual persuasion when he was first looking for him, and he was told that Omar liked hanging with boys—which is why they were at the gay bar. Why was Brother’s mouth so glossed up? When I first saw the wire, his greased up lips were very distracting—-no other characters, including the women—had so much product on their mouths. It was the dialogue between him and Lamar, with brother dressing him down for being homophobic, and the extended scene in the alley with Omar, which became a highly charged homoerotic moment on Brother’s part, that opened my eyes. Rawls popping up unexpectedly in the gay bar—-another hyper-masculine, respected male—underscored it for me.

Last edited:
I’ll check out whether there is any gay innuendo between Marlo and Chris, but the gay bar scene dialogue between Brother and Lamar, and the extended scene between Omar and Brother Lipgloss are both nakedly and transparently homo suggestive. Like I stated before; I was younger when I first saw The Wire, and the Gay innuendos flew right over my head. I am currently rewatching and am now up to season four.
aight Sup

we off this

what else ya got lol

Thanks for your reply, but I looked at that scene over and over again. Avon and crew are parked at the corner, enjoying some fast food one of his crew members just delivered. Marlo’s crew are on the other side of the street watching them. A lady or streetwalker passes by, looking both ways as she crosses the street. She didn’t exit the car, acknowledge the Barksdale crew or do anything out of the ordinary. I couldn’t even tell if this was Dion or just some round-the-way-girl. I think Marlo killed all new ‘contacts” just to eliminate any suspicion. He’s a psychopath.

@ 16:15-17:30

Marlo suspected Devonne was trying to set him up, so he had Chris scope out the fish spot........"Lake Trout"......that they were supposed to meet at.

Can't find it on youtube, but Snoop is sitting at the lake trout spot........one of Avon's people orders a lot of food.........she goes back in the car to tell Chris...........Chris sees big dude taking all that food to the truck where Avon and his people were posted up.........and that's when they knew that Devonne was working with Avon trying to set Marlo up to get killed.

Simply because there would be no other reason for them to be at that fish spot unless she told them that she was supposed to meet Marlo there.

Marlo suspected Devonne was trying to set him up, so he had Chris scope out the fish spot........"Lake Trout"......that they were supposed to meet at.

Can't find it on youtube, but Snoop is sitting at the lake trout spot........one of Avon's people orders a lot of food.........she goes back in the car to tell Chris...........Chris sees big dude taking all that food to the truck where Avon and his people were posted up.........and that's when they knew that Devonne was working with Avon trying to set Marlo up to get killed.

Simply because there would be no other reason for them to be at that fish spot unless she told them that she was supposed to meet Marlo there.

Than

Thanks! That cleared up a lot.

tumblr_lxs4ey6D3I1qdato8o6_r1_250.gif
tumblr_lxs4ey6D3I1qdato8o1_250.gif

tumblr_lxs4ey6D3I1qdato8o2_250.gif
tumblr_lxs4ey6D3I1qdato8o5_r3_250.gif

Back