Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official World Politics Thread

https://www.mediaite.com/online/dem...charlottesville-remarks-in-dramatic-exchange/

Democrat Al Green Challenges Trump Officials Over Charlottesville Remarks in Dramatic Exchange

Texas Democratic Congressman Al Green grilled Trump Justice Department officials about Trump’s “very fine people” remarks in dramatic fashion, asking them to raise their hands if they thought the comments were inappropriate.

On Wednesday, FBI Assistant Director Michael McGarrity, DHS Undersecretary Brian Murphy, and Deputy Assistant Attorney General Brad Wiegmann gave testimony at a House Homeland Security hearing entitled “Confronting the Rise of Domestic Terrorism in the Homeland.”

Toward the end of the hearing, Rep. Green used his time to ask the three Trump administration witnesses a series of questions using a show of hands, first having the witnesses establish that while “Islamic terrorism” is a common term, they had never heard of a cross-burning klansman being referred to as a “Christian terrorist.”

Then, Green moved on to Trump’s Charlottesville remarks, asking “if I said there were some very fine people among the bigots, the racist, the clansman in Charlottesville, that there were some very fine people among them, would that be inappropriate thing for a member of Congress to say? If you think so, raise your hand.”

After a few seconds, Green noted “Let the record reflect that no one has raised their hand.”

“So, if the president says it, some very fine people among those who were preaching ‘Jews will not replace us, blood and soil,’ the president says it, is it appropriate for the president to say such a thing?” Green asked. “If you think that it is not appropriate, raise your hand.”

“If you think it’s not appropriate for the president to say what you just said would be inappropriate for members of Congress to say, if you think it’s not appropriate for the president to say there were some fine people among those folk in Charlottesville where person lost her life, raise your hand,” Green repeated, as the three witnesses remained motionless.

“Sir, I may, from the DHS perspective, I think the way we look at it, and the way we go after these…” Murphy began, but Green cut him off.

“Excuse me please, I greatly appreciate your perspective, but I’m limited on time,” Green said, and continued “So you were quick, you had no problem saying that members of Congress should not use such language, but you refuse to acknowledge that the president should not use such language?”

“If I could just jump in, yes quickly please,” Weigmann interjected, “I would say, for me personally, it’s just not my place as a career government official to comment on what either members of Congress or the president choose to say.”

“But you already did,” Green said. “Too late now, see, you already did. You already said that it’s inappropriate for members of Congress, but when it gets to the president…”

“I don’t think I commented one way or the other,” Wegmann said.

“No you did, you are on the record, you raised your hand, you’re on the record,” Green said, although the witnesses had expressed assent by not raising their hands, or verbally objecting ti the question..

“Here’s the point,” Green said. “We who hold public trust have to have the same standard for everyone. Same standard for the KKK, that we have for persons who claim to be of Islamic faith. Same standard for, and they are not, same standard for the president that we have for members of Congress. If you can’t uphold the same standard, you’re doing your country at this service my friends.”

The Dems are going in today on Capital Hill...

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/devos-wont-meet-nassar-sexual-abuse-victims

Dem Rep. Blasts DeVos For Refusing To Meet With Nassar Abuse Victims

While attempting to chip away at Obama-era guidelines on campus sexual assault, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos said she won’t meet with the victims who were sexually abused by ex-Michigan State and Olympic gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar.

Rep. Elissa Slotkin (D-MI) told the Detroit Free Press on Wednesday that after a discussion on DeVos’ proposed changes to Title IX, the education secretary turned down Slotkin’s invitation to meet with the survivors of Nassar’s abuse.

DeVos told Slotkin in a letter that it would be “inappropriate to speak to survivors” because the Education Department is currently investigating Michigan State’s handling of the shocking allegations of child abuse against Nassar.

“I have the utmost respect for the bravery displayed by the survivors of his despicable sexual assaults. Therefore I want to thank you for your request that I meet with Michigan State University Title IX survivor-advocates to hear about their experience and how to prevent sexual assault on college campuses,” she wrote, according to the report. “However, as you are no doubt aware, the law prevents me from doing so at this time.”

Slotkin blasted DeVos’ “legalistic response.”

“I am deeply disappointed that Secretary DeVos – a Michigander and someone in a position of great leadership and authority to protect students’ safety and access to education – has never met with a survivor of Nassar’s abuse, a tragedy that has shaken the community to its core in our state,” Slotkin said. “It appears she is ignoring the very lessons we have learned from the Nassar tragedy.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/sessions-hoax-too-much-spying-fine

Sessions’ Semantics Lesson: Saying ‘Hoax’ Is A Bridge Too Far But ‘Spying’ Is Fine

Ex-Attorney General Jeff Sessions is laying down the gauntlet on Trumpworld semantics.

“Hoax…is a strong way to say ‘this is bogus’,” Sessions said at a conference Wednesday that was televised on MSNBC, referring to President Trump’s repeated criticism of the Mueller investigation. “That’s his language and we have gotten used to it,” he added with a shrug.

He’s more on board with Attorney General William Barr’s use of “spying” to describe the FBI’s surveillance activities to suss out if Russians were using the Trump campaign to interfere in the 2016 election.

“I think spying is a perfectly good word,” he said.

Sessions seems to have gotten the memo: “I think spying is a good English word,” said Barr last week before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/...wouldnt-dare-sign-ex-prosecutors-trump-letter

Still-Loyal Sessions, Christie Wouldn’t Dare Sign Ex-Prosecutors’ Trump Letter

They may have been booted from President Trump’s inner circle, but they’re still devoted to the loyalty-obsessed president.

During an interview with MSNBC’s Stephanie Ruhle at the SALT Conference on Wednesday, both former Attorney General Jeff Sessions and ex-New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said they would not sign onto a letter that hundreds of former prosecutors signed arguing Trump would have been charged with obstruction if he weren’t president.

“They haven’t studied all of this!” Sessions said when Ruhle asked if they would stand behind the letter, which was signed by some of their former colleagues. “I can’t agree, first of all, I haven’t studied it sufficiently to make an opinion. And I don’t think they have either. What do you think Chris?”

Ruhle cut in: “You think former prosecutors, apolitical former prosecutors would’ve signed on?”

“Oh stop, apolitical prosecutors. Let me just say, I ran an office in New Jersey for seven years,” Christie said. “Every one of those prosecutors who worked for me had an opinion. They had an opinion, they voted in elections.”

Christie went on to say he wouldn’t sign the letter because he doesn’t believe “there’s a crime of attempted obstruction.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/house-judiciary-barr-contempt-recommendation

House Judiciary Recommends Barr Be Held In Contempt Over Mueller Report

By a 24-16 vote, the House Judiciary Committee voted Wednesday to recommendholding Attorney General Bill Barr in contempt for his refusal to turn over to Congress an unredacted version of special counsel Robert Mueller’s report and its underlying materials.

President Trump asserted executive privilege Wednesday over the documents, which the Committee had sought via subpoena.

The vote escalated the ongoing standoff between Congress and the Trump administration over House Democrats’ efforts to oversee the White House.

“This is not a step we take lightly,” Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler (D-NY) said. “It is the culmination of nearly three months of requests, discussions and negotiations.”

But the hearing eventually devolved into a larger war over the prospect of impeaching President Trump, a potential outcome of obtaining the full report that wasn’t mentioned explicitly until more than an hour after the hearing began.

“This is all about impeaching the President,” Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) said, after Rep. Hank Johnson first dropped the i-word while discussing why Congress needs the full Mueller report and investigative materials.

While other subpoenas have been issued by the House — and ignored by the administration — the fight over the Mueller report is the first to reach the contempt phase under the Trump administration. Whether Barr is obligated to hand over the documents Democrats are seeking is likely be decided by courts, setting up a constitutional clash over the separation of powers.

When President Obama was in office, House Republicans held Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt for the Justice Department’s refusal to turn over documents related to the Fast and Furious gun-running scandal. Barr would be the second attorney general to be held in contempt if House Democrats move forward with the contempt resolution passed out of committee Wednesday. A contempt recommendation against Attorney General Janet Reno made it out of committee but was not voted on by the full House.

Rep. Doug Collins (R-GA), the top Republican on the Judiciary Committee, said Democrats were moving at “lightening speed” to contempt in this case, compared to the Holder contempt vote.

“Our democracy deserves better,” Collins said, later arguing that the “prestige” of the Judiciary Committee had been “diminished” by the Democrats’ actions.

The Justice Department has defended its handling of the Mueller report by arguing that Justice Department policy and federal law requires it to shield certain information within the report, as well as its underlying materials.

Specifically, the Trump administration has pointed to federal law — known as 6(e) — that keeps grand jury materials confidential; Democrats have called on Barr to seek a court’s permission to release it. Other redacted sections have to do with ongoing court cases for which there are gag orders in place.

“This is information we are legally entitled to receive and we are constitutionally obligated to review,” Nadler argued in his remarks Wednesday.

The Justice Department has also made available a less-redacted version of the report for select members of Congress to view.

On Tuesday evening, the Department warned that Barr would seek for President Trump to invoke executive privilege on the redacted parts of the report to prevent their release. Just as Wednesday’s hearing was starting, the Department released a letter informing the committee that Trump had in fact invoked executive privilege over all of the materials Congress has subpoenaed.

“Faced with Chairman Nadler’s blatant abuse of power, and at the Attorney General’s request, the President has no other option than to make a protective assertion of executive privilege,” White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement Wednesday.

Nadler offered an amendment that was passed Wednesday with the contempt resolution addressing Trump’s claims of privilege. It was introduced more three hours into the mark-up, which ultimately lasted more than five hours and included the consideration of several amendments.

Nadler said Wednesday he is still willing to work with the Department to find accommodations that would allow Congress to see the full report. But he said Wednesday’s move was not just about the administration’s withholding of the full Mueller report, but its stonewalling of most —if not all — Congress’ attempts at oversight.

“Our fight is not just about the Mueller report,” he said.”Our fight is about defending the rights of Congress as an independent branch to hold the President — any President — accountable.”

The marathon mark-up included sweeping speeches about the Constitution, Congress’ oversight authority, and the threat of foreign interference in elections. But it also was subsumed by wonky debates over whether Democrats were rushing the contempt process, the subpoena itself, and whether compliance with it would require Barr to break the law by releasing grand jury materials without a court order.

The committee passed an amendment, offered by Gaetz, clarifying that Barr was not being asked to break the law. However, that led to hours of debate over the underlying subpoena.

“We’re making a big mountain out of small part of this,” Nadler said of the dispute.

Committee Republicans raged at Democrats for the vote, accusing them of running a “character assassination squad,” asking Barr to break the law, and being motivated by a fear that Barr would “get to the bottom” of supposed FBI impropriety in opening the Russia probe.

Democrats pointed out that Republicans made similar demands for investigative materials underlying the Mueller investigation when they held the committee gavel.

Now, according to Johnson, Republicans were “aiding and abetting” President Trump in covering up Mueller’s investigation.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/casada-tennessee-house-speaker-cocaine-texts

In Lieu Of Stepping Down, TN House Speaker Proposes ‘Action Plan’

Tennessee House Speaker Glen Casada (R) is attempting to weather the storm of scandal currently engulfing his administration.

On Wednesday, his communications director Doug Kufner sent out an “action plan” of steps Casada is going to take to rehabilitate his political viability after his chief of staff resigned under a mounting heap of texts revealing his drug use, casual racism and sexual harassment. Casada was involved in some of the exchanges.

“I take complete ownership over the text messages with inappropriate comments about women that I exchanged with my former Chief of Staff and another individual several years ago,” he said in the statement. “It’s embarrassing and humbling to have it displayed in this manner. I apologize and hope that my friends, family, colleagues, and constituents find a way to forgive me for it because it is not the person I am and it hasn’t been the way I have conducted myself as Speaker.”

On Tuesday, he called it “locker room talk.”

The action plan includes supporting the investigation into emails an activist accuses the ex-chief of staff Cade Cothren of doctoring, possibly instituting drug testing in the wake of Cothren’s prodigious cocaine use and meeting with the Black Caucus to apologize for the racist texts.

Earlier on Wednesday, news broke that a recorded phone call caught Casada yelling at his associate who leaked the texts — despite the fact that he floated a theory that the texts were fabricated by his liberal enemies just a day later.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/na...-government-is-now-in-a-constitutional-crisis

Nadler Warns That The US Government Is Now In A ‘Constitutional Crisis’

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler (D-NJ) said Wednesday that the full House will move “rapidly” towards holding Attorney General Bill Barr in contempt, warning that the U.S. government has entered a “constitutional crisis.”

Nadler made the remarks after his committee voted in favor of recommending Barr be held in contempt for refusing to produce the unredacted report of special counsel Robert Mueller and its underlying materials, which the committee had subpoenaed.

“We’ve talked for a long time about approaching a constitutional crisis, we are now in it,” Nadler said, before referencing the famous Benjamin Frank quote about United States being a “republic…if you can keep it.”

“Now is the time of testing whether we can keep a republic or whether this republic is destined to change into a different, more tyrannical form of government,” he said.

Nadler did not know whether the full House would vote on the contempt resolution next week, but said it would be on the floor soon.

Meanwhile, the Justice Department slammed Wednesday’s vote on the contempt as “politically motivated and unnecessary” and accused Nadler of “short-circuit[ing]” the negotiations around the request. The Department so far has only offered a select group of lawmakers and a small number of their staff to see a version of the report with some of the redactions removed.

On Wednesday morning, as the mark-up of the committee contempt report started, President Trump asserted executive privilege over the entirety of the materials Dems requested.

“Regrettably, Chairman Nadler’s actions have prematurely terminated the accommodation process and forced the President to assert executive privilege to preserve the status quo,” The Department, in a statement from spokesperson Kerri Kupec, said. “No one, including Chairman Nadler and his Committee, will force the Department of Justice to break the law.”

Republicans at the hearing zeroed in on the fact that some of the redactions have to do with grand jury materials. Under federal law, grand jury materials are required to remain confidential, but they can be disclosed with a court’s permission.

Democrats have called on the Justice Department to seek that order, a request Barr has so far declined. In his remarks after the mark-up, Nadler said House Democrats will ask a court to release them without the Justice Department.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/...gn-attack-david-bossie-presidential-coalition

‘Livid’ Trump Directed His Campaign’s Attack Against David Bossie

President Trump directed his 2020 reelection campaign to release a statement attacking his former deputy campaign manager David Bossie for allegedly using his own political group to scam GOP donors, a source familiar with the matter confirmed to TPM Wednesday.

“This was something that the President was upset about,” the source told TPM. “This charge was brought on by the President.”

On Tuesday, Trump’s re-election campaign released a combative statementslamming independent political groups that “claim to be part of our ‘coalition’” but whose “actions show they are interested in filling their own pockets with money from innocent Americans’ paychecks.”

Several outlets have reported that the statement was referring to a joint report released Sunday by Axios and the Campaign Legal Center about the Presidential Coalition, an outside group run by Bossie that has raised millions using aggressive fundraising methods, and by boasting of its connections to Trump. Bossie also runs the pro-money-in-politics group Citizens United.

Just 3% of the group’s multi-millions went to direct political activity over in 2017 and 2018, the report found, while its largest category of expenditures “by far,” per the report, “was more apparent fundraising for the Presidential Coalition.” The group also bought copies of “Trump’s Enemies,” the book Bossie wrote with fellow ex-Trump campaign veteran Corey Lewandowski, to give as gifts to donors.

Trump was “livid” after seeing the Axios report, TPM’s source said, adding: “After hearing about what Bossie did, [Trump] wanted to put out a forceful statement saying that these [other groups] are approved fundraising routes for people, if they’re interested in giving to help the President win re-election, and so that’s where the statement came from.

“Brad spoke directly with the President” before the campaign issued its statement, the source said, referring to Trump 2020 campaign manager Brad Parscale. “This was something that the President was upset about … this charge was brought on by the President.”

Parscale’s tensions with Bossie and Lewandowski have been long reported.

The campaign’s Tuesday statement endorsed America First Action, a super PAC stocked with Trump allies, as a trustworthy source of Trump supporters’ dollars. America First Action’s sister “dark money” organization, America First Policies, filed its first tax return last year, revealing in November that it had paid $2.7 million to Parscale’s firm, Parscale Strategy LLC. The two groups together paid Parscale’s firm more than $1 million for services during the 2018 election cycle, according to separate Federal Election Commission data.

Parscale and Bossie were both involved with founding America First Policies shortly after Trump’s election.

Multiple outlets reported Tuesday on Trump’s anger at Bossie after the Axios-CLC report.

“Every dollar groups like Bossie’s and similar groups raise is a dollar the campaign does not,” an unnamed senior Trump administration official told Axios.

The White House referred TPM to the Trump campaign for comment. Bossie did not return multiple requests for comment Wednesday, though he did respond angrily to Axios and the CLC’s initial report, which was released Sunday.

The Presidential Coalition, Bossie said in a lengthy statement to Axios, makes “no apology for building a multi-million war chest for deployment in the all-important 2020 elections.”

Back