Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official World Politics Thread

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/nyt-dc-attorney-general-subpoenas-trump-inaugural-committee

NYT: DC Attorney General Subpoenas Trump Inaugural Committee

The attorney general for the District of Columbia is the latest to jump into an investigation of Trump’s inaugural committee, subpoenaing the committee this week over whether it “improperly provided private benefit,” the New York Times reports.

The subpoena reportedly asks for information regarding the roles that Ivanka Trump, Donald Trump Jr., and Eric Trump may have had on the inaugural committee. It also seeks information regarding payments to the Trump International Hotel and the Trump Organization, per the New York Times.

The request reportedly comes as part of an investigation into whether money was “wasted, mismanaged and/or improperly provided private benefit, causing the committee to exceed or abuse its authority or act contrary to its nonprofit purpose.”

The New Jersey Attorney General sent a civil subpoena to the committee earlier this month, after federal prosecutors for the Southern District of New York senta wide-ranging subpoena to the inaugural committee on Feb. 4, asking for an array of documents.

The D.C. subpoena reportedly follows on the SDNY request in asking whether any agreements existed whereby donors paid vendors directly for services provided to the inaugural committee.

Trump’s inauguration took in a record-breaking $107 million haul, nearly twice as much as any previous one.

“The Presidential Inauguration Committee is in receipt of the subpoena issued by the Attorney General for the District of Columbia, and is in contact with staff regarding this inquiry,” a committee spokesman told TPM in a statement.

16E7C1BF-5846-4DB4-9A43-9E2117F20069.gif

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckr...-release-he-doesnt-want-scrutiny-from-experts

Cohen On Trump Blocking Tax Return Release: He Doesn’t Want Scrutiny From Experts

President Trump is withholding his tax returns because he doesn’t want outside experts scrutinizing him and causing him to be audited or penalized, his former fixer Michael Cohen testified to Congress Wednesday.

Cohen was asked by Rep. Ro Khanna (D-CA) about Trump’s claims — in defending his norm-busting refusal to publicly release the returns — that he is under an audit. An audit, in theory, would not prevent a taxpayer from releasing his or her returns, Khanna noted.

Cohen said he sought documentation of such an audit to help him to respond to press inquiries about the returns, but never received it.

The former Trump fixer was asked about Trump’s reasons for not turning over his tax returns.

Cohen said that Trump told him that “what he didn’t want is to have an entire group of think tanks that are tax experts run through his tac returns and start ripping it into pieces.” He said he feared such scrutiny would result in him being audited and ultimately facing taxable consequences or penalties, Cohen testified.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/florida-bar-opens-investigation-into-gaetz-over-cohen-threat

Florida Bar Opens Investigation Into Gaetz Over Cohen Threat

The Florida Bar has opened an investigation into attorney and Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) to determine if his threatening tweet to Michael Cohen was a form of witness intimidation.

According to a Wednesday Daily Beast report, Gaetz was not previously aware of the probe.

“Hey @ MichaelCohen212,” read Gaetz’s now-deleted tweet. “Do your wife & father-in-law know about your girlfriends? Maybe tonight would be a good time for that chat. I wonder if she’ll remain faithful when you’re in prison. She’s about to learn a lot…”

He ultimately apologized when called out by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA).

During Cohen’s testimony before the House Oversight Committee, Rep. Stacey Plaskett called for Gatez to be investigated by the House Ethics Committee for possible witness tampering or intimidation and, if proven, be referred for criminal prosecution.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/michael-cohen-lynne-patton-trump-racism-claims

GOP Rep Uses Bizarre Logic To Disprove Cohen’s Claim That Trump Is Racist

In an attempt to dispute Michael Cohen’s claims that President Trump is racist, a GOP lawmaker brought an African American member of the Trump administration, who previously worked for the Trump Organization, to the House Oversight Committee hearing on Wednesday. The lawmaker, Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC), then asked Cohen about the official’s own claims that she would never work for a racist.

Meadows started the questioning by asking Cohen if he knew Lynne Patton, who worked at the Trump Organization and the Trump Foundation before being appointed by Trump to a top job at the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Meadows said he had brought Patton to the committee in her personal capacity, and she stood up behind him.

Meadows said that Patton didn’t agree with Cohen’s allegations that Trump was a racist and brought up that Patton said that, as a daughter of a man born in Birmingham, she would never work for a racist.

Meadows asked Cohen how he reconciled his and her claims, and demanded that he provide proof. The congressman also brought up Cohen’s proclivity for taping phone conversations and asked if Cohen had tapes of conversations where Trump allegedly made racist comments.

Cohen admitted he had no tapes, but when Meadows continued to prod Cohen for proof, Cohen told Meadows to ask Patton how many black executives there are at Trump Organization.

“The answer is zero,” Cohen said.

Screen-Shot-2019-02-27-at-12.04.12-PM.png

D45EFD4C-A0F6-45B1-B9C9-F77ACD3BF681.gif

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/republican-lawmakers-attack-trump-fixer-house-testimony

GOPers Self-Owned By Trying To Smear Trump’s Prized Fixer As A Lying Criminal

Congressional Republicans went so far out of their way to try to smear Michael Cohen at Wednesday’s House Oversight Committee hearing that Cohen himself called them on it.

It was “interesting,” Cohen told ranking GOP member Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) two-and-a-half hours into the hearing, that “between yourself and your colleagues that not one question so far since I’m here has been asked about President Trump.”

For the bulk of the seven hour hearing, Republican lawmakers talked about everything but. They framed Cohen’s testimony as the fruit of a conspiratorial impeachment scheme hatched by Democratic billionaire Tom Steyer and his lackeys. They accused Cohen of trying to use his testimony for some future book or movie deal. They repeatedly quoted from a “Women for Cohen” Twitter account that Cohen maintained during the 2016 campaign. Oftentimes, they asked no questions at all, devoting their allotted time to smearing Cohen as a “pathological liar” and “disgraced lawyer.”

Committee Republicans kicked off the hearing by trying to get it postponed, and said, over and over, that Cohen’s testimony was worthless because he’s already pleaded guilty to lying to Congress.

By trying to defend Trump, the committee’s GOP members hammered home that the former deputy finance chair of the Republican National Committee and handpicked fixer for the President happened to be a liar, cheat, and admitted criminal.

Cohen readily copped to his misconduct, telling lawmakers that he was going to prison in part because he lied to members of Congress and that it wasn’t in his own interest to do so again.

“I’m not sure how my appearance here today is providing substantial information that the Southern District [of New York] can use,” Cohen said when asked if he was trying to reduce his prison time through his testimony. “Now, if there is something that this group can do for me I would gladly welcome it.”

Cohen — who is not exactly known for his witty repartee — fell back on that sort of dry, deadpan humor throughout the hearing, twisting leading remarks back on Republican questioners. (Informed he didn’t “know truth from falsehood,” Cohen cracked, “Are you referring to me or the President?”)

One of the main GOP lines of attack was presented by Jordan in his opening statement. The entire testimony, Jordan alleged, was orchestrated by Cohen’s attorney and “the Clintons’ best friend,” Lanny Davis. Working in collaboration with Steyer, committee chairman Elijah Cummings (D-MD), and Democrats in general, Davis had found the perfect “patsy” for their plot to force Trump from office.

Republicans questioned who fronted Cohen’s expenses for his trip to D.C. (himself, he said) and insisted there was something suspicious about Cohen and Davis communicating with the chairman of the committee he’d be appearing before about the contours of his testimony.

“I find the connecting of the dots here with — with Mr. Davis and you and frankly the chairman and perhaps others to be rather stunning. That there is an agenda for all this happening here today, and I believe, frankly, that that’s to bring the President down, to impugn the President,” Rep. Jody Hice (R-GA) said during his questioning.

The other major reason Cohen turned up on Wednesday, Republicans speculated, was to try to secure a future book or film deal.

Rep. Mark Green (R-TN), Rep. Michael Cloud (R-TX), and Rep. Carol Miller (R-WV) were among the GOP lawmakers who seized on the idea that Cohen was using his testimony as material for some later creative endeavor.

“I think you mentioned in your opening statement that you had been disbarred,” Green said. “What is your source of income in the future?”

“I don’t expect I’m going to have a source of income when I’m in the federal penitentiary,” Cohen replied.

“Is there a book deal coming?” Green pressed.

“I have no book deal in the process,” Cohen replied.

During Miller’s questioning, Cohen acknowledged that he had shopped around another book about Trump “early on when I was still part of the RNC.”

There were more esoteric lines of questioning and comment, too. Rep. Clay Higgins (R-LA) — who resigned as a police officer over his excessive use of force and made false statements during an internal investigation — cited the Bible while chastising Cohen for his lack of credibility. Several lawmakers, including Jordan and Rep. Paul Gosar (R-AZ), quoted at length from the “Women for Cohen” Twitter account.

“This is all about you and this is all about this Twitter feed,” Gosar said, reading the bio describing Cohen as “strong, pitbull, sex symbol, no nonsense.”

“There’s no truth with you whatsoever and that’s why that’s important to you to look up here and look at the old adage that our moms taught us, liar, liar, pants on fire,” Gosar continued, pointing to a sign the House GOP made up with a photo of Cohen and that adage. “No one should ever listen to you and give you credibility.”

“We were having fun,” Cohen said of the Twitter account. “That’s what it was, sir. We were having fun.”

In one cringe-inducing exchange, Higgins asked Cohen to explain what happened to the “boxes” of evidence he’d claimed to have that bolstered his testimony. They’d been given to the FBI, who raided his home and office last April, a baffled Cohen explained.

The lone Republican who pushed Cohen on substantive points was Rep. Justin Amash (R-MI), who asked about Trump’s habit of communicating with his associates in code and why Trump would hire Cohen given his “bad character.”

That very legitimate question was what undercut all of his Republican colleagues’ finger-pointing, sign-waving political theater.

Under penalty of perjury, Cohen refuted a rash of outlandish rumors and negative stories about Trump, ranging from whether he’d ever paid for a mistress’ abortion à la Elliott Broidy to the existence of a tape that shows him striking his wife Melania in a Trump Tower elevator.

Notably, Cohen knocked down two key points from the so-called “Steele dossier.” Cohen reiterated that he never traveled to Prague to secretly meet with Russian officials in the summer of 2016, and that he had no reason to believe the “pee tape” of Trump cavorting with prostitutes in a Moscow hotel room existed.

As Cohen pointed out, he is already reporting to prison for a three-year sentence in May. Acting out of self-interest at this point means telling the truth.

“The lies that I told to Congress, in fairness, benefited Mr. Trump,” Cohen said at one point.

“I am not protecting Mr. Trump anymore,” he added.

That one Republican tried to say, "if Trump is such a bad person, I could see someone working for him for 10 days, 10 weeks, or even 10 months, but for 10 years?!"

I'm like, couldn't the same be said for someone who has such a bad person working for him for 10 years since they were making Cohen out to be so horrible?

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/...on-how-to-best-serve-teases-announcement-soon

O’Rourke: Announcement Coming ‘Soon’ On ‘A Decision’

Former Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D-TX) on Wednesday teased an announcement about how he “can best serve our country,” as part of a Dallas Morning News report that he will likely run for President.

“Amy and I have made a decision about how we can best serve our country,” O’Rourke told the paper. “We are excited to share it with everyone soon.”

Unnamed “people close” to O’Rourke told the Morning News, in the paper’s words, that he will “likely will announce a campaign for president soon.” The paper reported sources close to O’Rourke said they expected a presidential announcement “within weeks.”

O’Rourke has been considered a potential candidate for the Democratic nomination for president after his unsuccessful bid to unseat Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) gained national attention and a large network of committed donors.

He could also run for Senate again, in 2020, this time against Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX).

Back