Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official World Politics Thread

damn.....Cohen is letting the chopper off in broad day

Jordan is annoying as hell

Lynch went in

The GOP is trying to paint Cohen as a liar but he has objective evidence to back up what he is talking about

Faux News is probably working overtime to spin today's testimony

damn.....Cohen is letting the chopper off in broad day

Jordan is annoying as hell

Lynch went in

The GOP is trying to paint Cohen as a liar but he has objective evidence to back up what he is talking about

Faux News is probably working overtime to spin today's testimony

They will just call him a liar and straight up ignore the tangible evidence dude can and has produced lol

They will just call him a liar and straight up ignore the tangible evidence dude can and has produced lol

Well we knew that's been their strategy b4 the hearing. What been surprising to me during the time I've listened, was him gettin back. He had a couple of them stumblin.

Smh at the senator from WV tho. Gave that whole speech, but ignore the fact the president is a criminal himself. Lol

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/kushner-met-with-mbs-no-mention-khashoggi-slaying

Kushner Met With MBS, No Mention Of Khashoggi Slaying

White House senior adviser Jared Kushner met with Saudi leaders this week, including Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, but seems to have made no mention of the Saudis’ brutal slaying of Washington Post contributor Jamal Khashoggi last year.

From the White House read out of the meeting:

Yesterday, Senior Advisor to the President Jared Kushner, Special Representative for International Negotiations Jason Greenblatt, and United States Special Representative for Iran Brian Hook returned to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and met with King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. Building on previous conversations, they discussed increasing cooperation between the United States and Saudi Arabia, and the Trump Administration’s efforts to facilitate peace between the Israelis and Palestinians. Additionally, they discussed ways to improve the condition of the entire region through economic investment.

President Donald Trump has refused time and time again to condemn the Saudis for the murder.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/jim-jordan-democrats-lanny-davis-behind-cohen-testimony

Jim Jordan Paints Cohen Testimony As Part Of A Vast Anti-Trump Conspiracy

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) was in fine form at the top of Michael Cohen’s Wednesday hearing, claiming that a vast left-wing network had conspired to ensure that Donald Trump’s former fixer could testify before the House Oversight Committee about the President’s misdeeds.

Cohen’s attorney Lanny Davis orchestrated the whole affair, according to Jordan, the ranking Republican on the committee, who called Davis “the Clintons’ best friend, loyalist, operative.”

Other schemers bent on bringing down the President, in Jordan’s telling, included billionaire donor Tom Steyer, who has advocated for Trump’s impeachment, House Oversight Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings (D-MD), Fusion GPS and Democrats at large.

From Jordan’s perspective, the Cohen hearing was Democrats last-ditch effort to take down Trump after the FBI’s 2016 probe of the campaign failed to stop him from becoming president.

“They just want to use you, Mr. Cohen,” Jordan said in his opening statement. “You’re their patsy today. They’ve got to find somebody somewhere to say something so they can try to remove the president from office. Because Tom Steyer told them to. Tom Steyer organized a town hall in Manhattan.”

“Guess where?” Jordan said, continuing on this odd tangent. “Chairman Cummings’ district in Baltimore. The best they can find to start this process, Michael Cohen. Fraudster, cheat, convicted felon and in two months a federal inmate. Actually they didn’t find him. Lanny Davis found him. I’ll say one thing about the Democrats. They stick to the play book.”

Jordan and other Republicans on the committee complained that Cohen, who pleaded guilty to lying to Congress about the Trump Organization’s dealings in Russia, was again allowed to testify before Congress. The Ohio Republican told Cummings that his “chairmanship will always be identified with this hearing.”

“Remember how all this started,” Jordan said. “The Clinton campaign hired Perkins law firm, who hired Glenn Simpson who hired a foreigner Christopher Steele who put together the fake dossier the FBI used to get a warrant to spy on the Trump campaign. But when that whole scheme failed and the American people said we’re going to make Donald Trump president, they said we’ve got to do something else.”

“So now Clinton loyalist, Clinton operative Lanny Davis has persuaded the chairman of the oversight committee to give a convicted felon a forum to tell stories and lie about the president of the United States so they can all start their impeachment process,” Jordan continued.

Jordan than yielded his time early, before deciding he wasn’t quite done with his diatribe yet. He asked Cummings for permission another point, but was denied.

“You yielded back, sir,” Cummings said before moving on to swear Cohen in. “You yielded back.”

giphy.gif

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/michael-cohen-jim-jordan-shame-on-you

Cohen Pushes Back At Top House Oversight GOPer: ‘Shame On You Mr. Jordan’

Michael Cohen and Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) got into a heated exchange at Wednesday’s House Oversight Committee hearing over Jordan’s suggestion that Cohen was not accepting responsibility for the crimes to which he pleaded guilty.

“Shame on you, Mr. Jordan. That is not what I said. Shame on you,” Cohen said.

Under previous questioning from another committee Republican, Cohen quibbled with how the lawmaker was characterizing the bank fraud and other financial crimes to which he pleaded guilty.

Jordan then accused Cohen of disputing the Manhattan prosecutors and the court at which he entered his guilty plea.

“He just debated a member of Congress saying, I really didn’t do anything wrong with the false bank things that I’m guilty of and going to prison for,” Jordan said.

“That’s not what I said. And you know that that’s not what I said,” Cohen responded.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/cohen-catch-kill-trump-national-enquirer-decades

Cohen: Trump Long Had ‘Catch-And-Kill’ Arrangement With National Enquirer

Michael Cohen testified Wednesday that the National Enquirer has collaborated with Donald Trump to purchase and not publish stories that would damage the President for at least 12 years.

“I was involved in several of these catch-and-kill episodes,” Cohen told the House Oversight Committee at his public hearing. “But these catch-and-kill scenarios existed between [National Enquirer publisher] David Pecker and Mr. Trump long before I started working for him in 2007.”

Cohen has pleaded guilty to working with Pecker and others at the Enquirer during the 2016 campaign to purchase the rights to the story of a Playboy model who claimed to have slept with Trump.

The Enquirer admitted to its role in the scheme as part of a non-prosecution agreement with federal prosecutors from the Manhattan U.S. Attorney’s office.

Prosecutors are now examining if the publication violated that agreement in its efforts to publish the story of Amazon founder Jeff Bezos’ extramarital affair. Bezos has alleged that he was threatened with “extortion and blackmail” by the tabloid while the publication was trying to break the story of his relationship.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckr...-meeting-trump-disuss-congressional-testimony

Cohen Reveals May ’17 Meeting With Trump To Discuss Congressional Testimony

President Trump called Michael Cohen to the White House in May 2017 to go over his former fixer’s upcoming testimony before Congress, Cohen testified to the House Oversight Committee on Wednesday.

This previously undisclosed meeting between Cohen, Trump and Trump’s attorney Jay Sekulow bolsters Cohen’s claims that the President tried to pressure him into lying to Congress about the Trump Organization’s business deals in Russia.

Cohen also testified that Sekulow changed parts of the testimony Cohen prepared to present to the House and Senate Intelligence Committees.

The White House meeting was revealed after Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-VA) mentioned a May 16 email from a special assistant to the president to a deputy White House attorney questioning why the President had “requested a meeting” with Sekulow and Cohen.

Cohen said that the trio met to discuss “document production as well as my appearance before” the two congressional intelligence committees in the summer of 2017.

Cohen pleaded guilty in November 2018 to lying to Congress during those closed-door hearings.

“So you had a conversation with the President of the United States about your impending testimony before the House Intelligence Committee, is that correct?” Connolly asked.

“That’s correct,” Cohen replied.

“What was the nature of that conversation?” Connolly questioned.

“He wanted me to cooperate,” Cohen said.

Cohen said in his prepared remarks that Trump did not explicitly tell him to make any particular claim, but that the implication of what the President wanted was clear.

“He doesn’t tell you what he wants,” Cohen said. “What he does is, again, ‘Michael, there’s no Russia. There’s no collusion. There’s no involvement. There’s no interference.’ I know what he means because I’ve been around him for so long. So if you’re asking me whether or not that’s the message, that’s staying on point and that’s the party line that he created that so many others are now touting. Yes, that’s the message that he wanted to reinforce.”

During later rounds of questioning, Cohen was asked about his assertion that he knew the President wanted him to lie was because Trump’s attorneys altered his remarks to Congress to make them less damaging.

“Which specific lawyers reviewed and edited your statement to congress on the Moscow tower negotiations and did they make any changes to your statement?” Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD) asked.

“There were changes made, additions,” Cohen replied. “Jay Sekulow, for one.”

Cohen added that the main alteration involved “the length of time that the Trump Tower Moscow project stayed and remained alive.”

Abbe Lowell, attorney for Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner, also reviewed the testimony, Cohen said, citing their joint defense agreement.

“It was pursuant to the joint defense agreement that we were all operating under,” Cohen said.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckr...ing-about-hush-money-one-year-into-presidency

Cohen: Trump Directed Messaging About Hush Money One Year Into Presidency

By February 2018, Trump had Stormy Daniels on his mind.

The president’s former lawyer Michael Cohen testified Wednesday at a House Oversight Committee hearing that Trump told him what to say regarding whether he was being reimbursed for a $130,000 hush money payment.

Cohen had told journalists that he wasn’t reimbursed for the payment by the Trump campaign or Trump organization, leaving out the president himself.

“The statement is not false,” Cohen said, in response to questions from Rep. Katie Hill (D-CA). “I purposefully left out Mr. Trump, individually, from that statement.”

After Rep. Hill pressed Cohen on why he phrased the statement to leave out the president, he replied: “Because that’s what was discussed to do between myself, Mr. Trump, and [Trump Org CFO] Alan Weisselberg.”

Separately, a Vanity Fair reporter wrote at the time that Cohen fielded a call from Trump during an interview. During the call, the reporter noted that the two may have been discussing messaging around the issue.

Cohen confirmed that during the hearing, saying Trump told him to state publicly
“that he was not knowledgeable of these reimbursements and that he wasn’t knowledgeable of my actions.”

Back