Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official World Politics Thread

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/gop-punts-shutdown-dems-takeover-january

GOP Punts Shutdown Mess Until Dems Take Over House In January

WASHINGTON (AP) — The partial government shutdown will almost certainly be handed off to a divided government to solve in the new year — the first big confrontation between President Donald Trump and newly empowered Democrats — as agreement eludes Washington in the waning days of the Republican monopoly on power.

Now nearly a week old, the impasse is idling hundreds of thousands of federal workers and beginning to pinch citizens who count on varied public services. Gates are closed at some national parks, the government won’t issue new federal flood insurance policies and in New York, the chief judge of Manhattan federal courts suspended work on civil cases involving U.S. government lawyers, including several civil lawsuits in which Trump himself is a defendant.

Congress is closing out the week without a resolution in sight over the issue holding up an agreement — Trump’s demand for money to build a border wall with Mexico and Democrats’ refusal to give him what he wants.

That sets up a struggle upfront when Democrats take control of the House on Jan. 3.

Trump raised the stakes on Friday, reissuing threats to shut the U.S.-Mexico border to pressure Congress to fund the wall and to cease aid to three Central American countries from which many migrants have fled.

The president also has signaled he welcomes the fight as he heads toward his own bid for re-election in 2020, tweeting Thursday evening that Democrats may be able to block him now, “but we have the issue, Border Security. 2020!”

With another long holiday weekend coming, just days before House Republicans relinquish control, there is little expectation of a quick fix.

“We are far apart,” White House press secretary Sarah Sanders told CBS on Friday, claiming of Democrats, “They’ve left the table all together.”

House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi has vowed to pass legislation as soon as she takes the gavel, which is expected when the new Congress convenes, to reopen the nine shuttered departments and dozens of agencies now hit by the partial shutdown.

“If they can’t do it before Jan. 3, then we will do it,” said Rep. Jim McGovern, D-Mass., incoming chairman of the Rules Committee. “We’re going to do the responsible thing. We’re going to behave like adults and do our job.”

But even that may be difficult without a compromise because the Senate will remain in Republican hands and Trump’s signature will be needed to turn any bill into law. Negotiations continue between Democrats and Republicans on Capitol Hill, but there’s only so much Congress can do without the president.

Trump is not budging, having panned Democratic offers to keep money at current levels — $1.3 billion for border fencing, but not the wall. Senate Republicans approved that compromise in an earlier bill with Democrats but now say they won’t be voting on any more unless something is agreed to by all sides, including Trump.

“I think it’s obvious that until the president decides he can sign something — or something is presented to him — that we are where we are,” said Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., who opened the Senate on Thursday for a session that only lasted minutes.

“Call it anything,” he added, “barrier, fence, I won’t say the ‘w’ word.”

Trump long promised that Mexico would pay for the wall, but Mexico refuses to do so.

Federal workers and contractors forced to stay home or work without pay are experiencing mounting stress from the impasse.

As the partial shutdown stretched toward a second week, Ethan James, 21, a minimum-wage contractor sidelined from his job as an office worker at the Interior Department, wondered if he’d be able to make his rent. Contractors, unlike most federal employees, may never get back pay for being idled. “I’m getting nervous,” he said. “I live check to check right now.”

For those without a financial cushion, even a few days of lost wages during the shutdown could have dire consequences.

Roughly federal 420,000 workers were deemed essential and are working unpaid, unable to take any sick days or vacation. An additional 380,000 are staying home without pay.

Like James, Mary Morrow, a components engineer on contract for NASA, is in a predicament. In addition to caring for a family largely on her own, she’s got a mortgage.

“I have three teenage boys, it’s near Christmas time and we just spent money, there are credit card bills and normal bills and it’s really nerve-wracking,” she said. “It’s scary.”

Steve Reaves, president of Federal Emergency Management Agency union, said the shutdown could have consequences that stretch beyond a temporary suspension of salary. Many federal government jobs require a security clearance, he said, and missed mortgage payments or deepening debt could hurt their clearance.

David Dollard, a Federal Bureau of Prisons employee and chief steward for the American Federation of Government Employees Local 709 union in Colorado, said at least two agency employees lost their homes after the 2013 shutdown suspended their salaries. Bureau of Prisons employees are considered essential, and must work without pay. The agency is already understaffed, Dollard said. Shutdown conditions make everything worse.

“You start out at $44,000 a year, there’s not much room for anything else as far saving money for the next government shutdown, so it puts staff in a very hard situation,” he said. “We’ve got single fathers who have child support, alimony. It’s very hard to figure out what you’re going to do.”

Candice Nesbitt, 51, has worked for 1½ years for the U.S. Coast Guard, the only branch of the military affected by the shutdown. About 44,000 Coast Guard employees are working this week without pay; 6,000, including Nesbitt, have been furloughed.

Nesbitt worked for a contractor but took a pay cut in exchange for the stability of a government job. She has a mortgage, is the guardian of her special needs, 5-year-old grandson, and makes about $45,000 a year, she said. Any lapse in payment could plunge her into debt. “It shakes me to the core,” she said.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/msnbc-trumps-fox-in-ratings-after-18-years

End Of An Era: MSNBC Trumps Fox News In Ratings After 18-Year Drought

For the first time in 18 years, MSNBC came out ahead of Fox News last week with an average of 1.56 million viewers to Fox’s 1.54, according to a Thursday Politico report.

Those viewers tuned in from 6 a.m. to 2 a.m. from Dec. 17-21.

Per Politico, the last time MSNBC bested Fox by that standard was back on Election Day in 2000.

Last week, MSNBC also topped Fox News in the highly sought-after 25- to 54-year-old demographic and hosted the most-watched program, “The Rachel Maddow Show.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/epa-proposal-easing-regulation-mercury-emissions-coal-plants

EPA Proposes Easing Limits Of Mercury Emissions From Coal Plants

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration on Friday targeted an Obama-era regulation credited with helping dramatically reduce toxic mercury pollution from coal-fired power plants, saying the benefits to human health and the environment may not be worth the cost of the regulation.

The 2011 Obama administration rule, called the Mercury and Air Toxics Standards, led to what electric utilities say was an $18 billion clean-up of mercury and other toxins from the smokestacks of coal-fired power plants.

Overall, environmental groups say, federal and state efforts have cut mercury emissions from coal-fired power plants by 85 percent in roughly the last decade.

Mercury causes brain damage, learning disabilities and other birth defects in children, among other harm. Coal power plants in this country are the largest single manmade source of mercury pollutants, which enters the food chain through fish and other items that people consume.

A proposal Friday from the Environmental Protection Agency would leave current emissions standards in place. However, it challenges the basis for the Obama regulation, calculating that the crackdown on mercury and other toxins from coal plants produced only a few million dollars a year in measurable health benefits and was not warranted.

The proposal, which now goes up for public comment, is the latest Trump administration move that changes estimates of the costs and payoffs of regulations in arguing for relaxing Obama-era environmental protections.

It’s also the administration’s latest proposed move on behalf of the U.S. coal industry, which has been struggling in the face of competition from natural gas and other cheaper, cleaner forms of energy. The Trump administration in August proposed an overhaul for another Obama-era regulation that would have prodded electricity providers to get less of their energy from dirtier-burning coal plants.

In a statement, the EPA said Friday the administration was “providing regulatory certainty” by more accurately estimating the costs and benefits of the Obama administration crackdown on mercury and other toxic emissions from smokestacks.

Sen. Tom Carper of Delaware, the top Democrat on the Senate’s Environment and Public Works Committee, condemned the move.

The EPA has “decided to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory” after the successful clean-up of toxins from the country’s coal-plant smokestacks, Carper said.

He and other opponents of the move said the Trump administration was playing with numbers, ignoring what Carper said were clear health, environmental and economic benefits to come up with a bottom line that suited the administration’s deregulatory aims.

Janet McCabe, a former air-quality official in the Obama administration’s EPA, called the proposal part of “the quiet dismantling of the regulatory framework” for the federal government’s environmental protections.

Coming one week into a government shutdown, and in the lull between Christmas and New Year, “this low-key announcement shouldn’t fool anyone — it is a big deal, with significant implications,” McCabe said.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/gohmert-government-closed-hell-freezes-over

How Long Does Gohmert Want Gov’t To Stay Closed? ‘Until Hell Freezes Over’

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) is in no hurry to reopen the government.

During an interview with Fox News on Friday, Gohmert — a dedicated hype-man for President Trump — said the President should consider keeping Washington shutdown “until hell freezes over.”

“Because we keep seeing people losing their lives without [a wall], you do it to hell freezes over,” he said when asked to predict the length of the partial federal shutdown. “Until hell freezes over because we owe it to our country. And the best thing we could do compassionately for Mexico and Central America is not give them money that ends up in the hands of the drug cartels. It’s to secure the border, so the drugs quit coming, and we don’t lose 70,000 more lives a year and Mexico becomes a top 10 economy because we dropped corruption. That’s compassion.”

It might just take that long for Congress to compromise on a spending bill. With Trump reportedly giving congressional leaders the cold shoulder, the government is unlikely to reopen until the new Congress is sworn in next month. But even then, given the impending Democratic takeover of the House, the odds of Democrats reaching a wall funding trade-off with Republicans is slim.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/dershowitz-laments-politics-cnn-doesnt-call

Dershowitz Laments State Of Politics Since CNN Won’t Call Him Anymore

Former Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz lamented Thursday the state of politics in America that has driven him into the arms of Fox News while getting him nothing but a cold shoulder from CNN.

“It’s been harder for me to get on anti-Trump networks,” the perennial TV guest said on CSPAN’s “Washington Journal.” “Not that I’m craving to be on television all the time. I have a good life. But it has had an impact on which channels seek my services more often, and that’s a change because I used to be on CNN more often than on Fox, I was a regular.”

“I haven’t been on CNN since the summer and Fox calls me all the time,” he continued. “I’d love to be available to people who watch all channels and I try to write op-eds widely for all different newspapers and media.”

6F75C184-4DFC-485F-90A3-E57BC3644941.gif

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/king-praises-ice-excellent-record

King Praises ICE’s ‘Excellent Record’ Since ‘Only 2 Children’ Died Recently

Rep. Peter King (R-NY) said Friday that blaming ICE for the recent deaths of two children in its custody is “wrong” and that having “only two children” die in recent memory is an “excellent record.”

Calling the deaths “tragic,” King quickly tried to shift the blame away from the agency by saying that children also die in the “terrible conditions” of government housing in his own state.

I know in New York City in housing projects you hear of kids dying, unfortunately that can happen when people are living in those conditions,” King told Fox News’ Julia Banderas. “I applaud the Secretary for going to see if there’s anything more that can be done but I think it’s wrong to be piling on here and somehow blaming ICE.”

“They’ve had hundreds of thousands of people that they had custody of over the years and I think these are the only two children that have died in recent memory,” he continued. “Considering what does happen in housing projects across the country, I think ICE has an excellent record.”

Banderas agreed with King, saying that his assessment is “correct” and that people were quick to make ICE a scapegoat.

MAGA everybody...

Last edited:
tumblr_pkgq1ryeUs1rn1906o1_1280.png

Back